Lebanon Bologna

On 11/20/2020 at 7:30 AM, Dave in Maine said:

The Pennsylvania I grew up in, knew and loved is dead, buried under suburban sprawl.  The fine, industrial salt-of-the-earth cities like Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown, Reading have been turned into something approximating Bedford-Stuyvesant 1985, the South Bronx 1980, and Newark and Camden, NJ in any year.  Their neighborhoods are now marked by ongoing low-level gang warfare between the Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, all exports from the big cities sent out by millennials gentrifying and Disneyfying them.  There are even some homegrown gangs, like the "Money Rules Everything" gang in and around Bethlehem.  One of their associates screwed them, or screwed up a drug deal, the other year.  So they burned him alive over it.  https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-mre-bethlehem-homicide-tyrell-holmes-arrest-20190912-u2snfdjsobdwldux7rqwtshxc4-story.html

Maine - at least my experience of Maine - is as close as I can get to the way I want to live.  There's a lot to love about Maine.

Now, what we really need is a good, brutal, deterrent Maine winter to chase all the people with NJ and NY plates on their cars back into the urban hellscapes and suburban dystopias they ran from this year, landing in places like rural Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.  

I wouldn't know about how Pa has changed over the years. The last time I was in Pa before October was in 1976 for a Boy Scout jamboree, I was about 13 then.

The landscape view from 70-90 ft up in the man basket was pretty damn nice, made me wish I had brought a real camera the phone just didn't do it justice.

IMG_0194.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

IMG_0198.jpeg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave in Maine

• gwponr

• jeff88

• Marc Ret

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People drive up from Boston for the charcuterie from the Amish guy in Unity.  Great story - he was a chef in one of those $600 a plate restaurants in Chicago and burned out.  One day he'd had enough a

About a year ago one of the local HyVee grocery stores here in Mn. started to carry it, much to my surprise. Both regular and sweet I prefer sweet. Last month I took a pound of thin sliced for sandwic

The Pennsylvania I grew up in, knew and loved is dead, buried under suburban sprawl.  The fine, industrial salt-of-the-earth cities like Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown, Reading have been turned into som

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, gwponr said:

wouldn't know about how Pa has changed over the years. The last time I was in Pa before October was in 1976 for a Boy Scout jamboree, I was about 13 then.

The landscape view from 70-90 ft up in the man basket was pretty damn, made me wish I had brought a real camera the phone just didn't do it justice.

Wife taught home-economics at Newport High School for years. Have traveled the road behind you many times, only live about 12 miles from that spot. Yes, bologna is big in this area. Mother used to make bologna gravy, milk, flour, and cut up bologna hunks. Was not my favorite.

Dave in Maine
10 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Dunno about that, but have discovered that you can get Dot's Pretzels in PA.  Found one single bag at the Shady Maples Market, of all places.  To give you an idea of the nature of that place, here's a pic of two pick-ups in the parking lot:

6-27-20 - Amish pick-up truck

We discovered Dot's for the first time in the Dakotas.  They have actually migrated to here.  Truly the indication of advanced civilization.

You sure that's not some teenager's hot rod buggy?  The shiny metal is entirely too gaudy to be a family man's.

One time I got caught on 222 behind a teenager out for a Sunday ride with his girlfriend.  Long before I was able to pass and look inside I knew it was a teenager because his buggy had chromed cap nuts.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, Auto-5 said:

After hearing of scrapple all of my life I was visiting with in-laws and we had breakfast at a diner that served scrapple. Wanting to scratch that off my list I ordered some. Not to rain on anybody’s parade but that stuff made made head cheese aka souse that I was raised with taste like prime rib. If I was a contestant on survivor maybe by week 3  I’d try it again but whew. My BIL described the ingredients as once the bologna guys are through the scraps from that  go to the hot dog line . The remains from that go to the potted meat line and then the scraps from that are then made into scrapple.

Not a fan of scrapple.  But I am a huge fan of corn meal mush.  That may make other's cringe but:

1.  Buy the mush

2.  Fry bacon (six slices for me)

3.  Slice the mush into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slabs

4.  Once bacon is fried, remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel, keep the bacon grease in skillet, don't turn off the heat

5.  Cover mush in flour, fry in hot bacon grease until golden

6.  Add Millriver's pure MA maple syrup and serve with the bacon

On 11/20/2020 at 8:10 PM, Sean K said:

I get Lebanon at Kroger. They occassionally have scrapple and butterkase as well. I often have to mispronounce butterkase so they know what I want, though. I originally typed "Kroger's" instead of Kroger. I think that's something a lot of PA transplants do; assign grocery stores a possessive article. 

TY Sean, I need to pay attention.  Kroger, eh?  Are you up for some skeet on Sunday?  

On 11/19/2020 at 10:15 PM, watermen said:

I buy it all the time in MO at a small Amish shop.  There is one as well up in WI where I hunt.  Question is, do you have Aimish in Cali?

I'm in KC. Where in MO do you find it?

I've never heard of this before.

Zimmermans at both locations down here and the big Amish shop on 50 up by Warrensburg on the way to Sierra carried it a couple months ago  as well.  They must have the same supplier across the country, because the shop in Lena WI carries it as well.  I don't remember the brand, just buy it when I am in the stores.  Closest Amish I know by you would be in Lock Springs  around Chillicothe if you get up that way shooting  burdds.  

11 hours ago, jeff88 said:

TY Sean, I need to pay attention.  Kroger, eh?  Are you up for some skeet on Sunday?  

Mmmmaybe! I didn't make any firm plans yet, but was thinking about taking my dog to the preserve. I could do skeet, though. I certainly need the practice! I'll send you a message, bud. 

So I had to work about an hour north from the shop today on my way back I stopped at a German market/restaurant today   I knew if anywhere in town would have Lebanon bologna it would be at tip top they’ve got stuff no one else has and sure enough there it was in the rack Deitz and Watson brand.  Now it wasn’t as good as seltzer’s I got in PA but is was still good.  Grabbed a jar of German mustard some white American cheese and some fresh rolls with poppy seeds on top and made sammys in the parking lot.  They opened a fish market also recently so I grabbed a few smoked salmon bellies while I was at it can’t resist that oily goodness

Anyone on here ever make the Lebanon Bologna out of venison? I've been reading all the comments on this thread and it's piqued my interest in trying to make some out of venison.

It's my sister's favorite processed meat.  When she came down from Alaska to PA, we always made sure she had a big 5 pounder to take home!

Deitrich's makes some good bologna!

I was from the other side of PA, and Lebanon wasn’t as big of a thing there, except for my dad was in wholesale meats, selling throughout the PA, NY, and OH territory, so he always had samples of various local bologna, braunsweiger, and such.  

I stock up on German ring bologna and Amish made cheeses when I’m in the old stomping ground, and drag it back here to NC to the woodcock crew for field lunches.

3 hours ago, Longrifle said:

I stock up on German ring bologna and Amish made cheeses when I’m in the old stomping ground, and drag it back here to NC to the woodcock crew for field lunches.

Yep, and it's very good eatin'.

My oldest daughter, SIL and grandkids live about 25 miles north of Lebanon but it doesn't look like the PA governor is going to let us in anytime soon.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:00 PM, idcut said:

Anyone on here ever make the Lebanon Bologna out of venison? I've been reading all the comments on this thread and it's piqued my interest in trying to make some out of venison.

Yes, it's rather commonplace for deer processors here to offer it. Twenty years ago I made and smoked quite literally tons of it when I used to butcher deer. 

A bit of advice if you go ahead- trim as much fat off the deer meat as possible and add in 10% beef fat. You'll end up with a better finished product if you do that.