Tagged out in the Yoop

Sure feels good to have some venison in the freezer again. We get two deer tags here, if you buy the combo tag, but they both have to be bucks. Antler point restrictions in my area means I have to wait to see either a six or eight point to fill a tag. Actually, three on one side or four on one side, depending on the tag. These tags are good starting 1 October until the end of muzzleloader season in December, but you only get two tags and they have to be bucks, no does. Last year I couldn’t bow hunt due to shoulder surgery, and I never saw a buck during rifle or muzzle loader season, so I ate tag soup. This year I only saw one buck during bow season, and never got a shot. Rifle season opened 15 November, and I was able to fill my Restricted tag on a 212# 8 pointer with a nice symmetrical rack. Yesterday I got a shot at another 8 point with a smaller but high rack. He weighed out at 188#. I’ve been cutting meat all day and am a happy hunter. Used my Ruger 77 mk2 .30-06 stainless and 180gr Remington core loct soft points. They hit like Thor’s hammer and are accurate within 200 yards out of this rifle. After two years of not getting a deer, it sure feels good. 

FA0CE430-389E-498B-9B97-E217053F66FC.jpeg

5FB2B841-1CA4-460A-B497-63F1FECF2F9D.jpeg

95B5B6B0-BFAE-4F60-B636-6841679C1021.jpeg

E9253D66-CA68-4F24-82C9-B53F1BB98764.jpeg

Brad Eden

That’s inspiring! Nice job, nice bucks. I’ve had to pass on a spike and a small 4 pt with bow due to no good shot, unless I wanted to try and spine them or jump on their backs and slit their throats with the broad head...and have been swimming in does all month. I have a bonus doe permit but this is the year of no good shot. Always moving through the thick crap. Still time.

I see you banged a thumb...me too...my finger in a truck door way the hell back in mid September. Takes forever for nails to grow out.

C2FBDC6F-4BAE-4FCD-80D6-6A5DC7D1D999.jpeg

Nice bucks.  We just returned from Bruce Crossing area.  Grandson shot two eight points.  One big one, one average.  Lots of bucks in Rut but we don't shoot any little ones.  Great Hunt with Family.  Never went to town. Self contained in "old time" camp.  No TV.  You actually talk to each other.

That is a hunt more worthy of Busch Light. 😃

Natty Bumpo

Congrats on two nice UP bucks. So many MI hunters are complaining about deer hunting in da' UP this year.   Our opening day hunt in Mason Co was ruined by the crazy strong winds off of Lake Mi., with gusts up to 60 mph. Big trees were falling all around our blinds and we had to beat a hasty retreat out of the woods. Worst opening day weather in over 50 years the old timers tell us. But we lived to tell about it. At least two MI hunters were killed by falling trees on Nov 15. :(:(

WI Outdoor Nut
13 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Sure feels good to have some venison in the freezer again. We get two deer tags here, if you buy the combo tag, but they both have to be bucks. Antler point restrictions in my area means I have to wait to see either a six or eight point to fill a tag. Actually, three on one side or four on one side, depending on the tag. These tags are good starting 1 October until the end of muzzleloader season in December, but you only get two tags and they have to be bucks, no does. Last year I couldn’t bow hunt due to shoulder surgery, and I never saw a buck during rifle or muzzle loader season, so I ate tag soup. This year I only saw one buck during bow season, and never got a shot. Rifle season opened 15 November, and I was able to fill my Restricted tag on a 212# 8 pointer with a nice symmetrical rack. Yesterday I got a shot at another 8 point with a smaller but high rack. He weighed out at 188#. I’ve been cutting meat all day and am a happy hunter. Used my Ruger 77 mk2 .30-06 stainless and 180gr Remington core loct soft points. They hit like Thor’s hammer and are accurate within 200 yards out of this rifle. After two years of not getting a deer, it sure feels good. 

Nice deer and congrats!

I know you are in western UP, and was going to ask, were these deer part of the winter migration, or are you in an area that doesn't see the amount of snow for the deer to move?  A very good friend of mine grew up not far from Rockland and I didn't believe him at 1st when he said he hunting migrating deer.  

1 minute ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Nice deer and congrats!

I know you are in western UP, and was going to ask, were these deer part of the winter migration, or are you in an area that doesn't see the amount of snow for the deer to move?  A very good friend of mine grew up not far from Rockland and I didn't believe him at 1st when he said he hunting migrating deer.  

I live about 15 minutes from Rockland, give or take. The deer migrate out of my property every winter and back in every spring, just in time to drop fawns. By late December I don’t have any deer left in the woods. Annual snow fall is pretty deep so the deer move into “yards” where the snow doesn’t get quite as deep and thermal cover helps with the temps. As the snow gets really deep in December or if we get early blizzards, many hunters move their focus to hunting the migration routes and funnels. Can be a very productive hunt, but bitter cold. So, to answer your question, yes the deer here migrate. Usually only a few miles, but there is DNR tracking collar data of some deer roaming hundreds of miles also. Kind of hard to maintain a QDM program on your property when the deer leave every year and not sure if the same deer come back the following year. 

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, OldSarge said:

I live about 15 minutes from Rockland, give or take. The deer migrate out of my property every winter and back in every spring, just in time to drop fawns. By late December I don’t have any deer left in the woods. Annual snow fall is pretty deep so the deer move into “yards” where the snow doesn’t get quite as deep and thermal cover helps with the temps. As the snow gets really deep in December or if we get early blizzards, many hunters move their focus to hunting the migration routes and funnels. Can be a very productive hunt, but bitter cold. So, to answer your question, yes the deer here migrate. Usually only a few miles, but there is DNR tracking collar data of some deer roaming hundreds of miles also. Kind of hard to maintain a QDM program on your property when the deer leave every year and not sure if the same deer come back the following year. 

I hear ya on the QDM for sure.  I just can recall my buddy talking about the migrate trails and looking for deer on the move on the gravel roads.  

Know your area well, often snowmobile in the area.  Great people, and even better trails.  

My buddies last name is Claus - many of his relatives are still in the area.  

Got the butcher shop set up in the man cave in the basement. I have several stainless rectangular pans and bowls that I do all my processing in. My knives are mostly Chicago cutlery cast offs that I found at rummage sales and auctions. Food Saver vacuum sealer, and Cabelas heavy duty grinder. When I’m done, the implements all get washed in the double size garden sink and stored in a large tote on top of the “meat fridge” in the basement. I try to keep everything as clean and cold as possible during the processing of game. Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to some. 

A0C73B01-4DC8-4C7B-9B80-D1C0423A2723.jpeg

590BE2E4-9406-4703-A321-49773CFEB769.jpeg

07CBEBBB-3D19-4905-89F2-717FAF0E6BD8.jpeg

3AF6CD3F-CAF0-40D7-AFC7-E59C502D8E5D.jpeg

5D5A526A-8C26-42B7-A0CF-EB3BF678BF81.jpeg

4430118B-B439-4C69-85BF-3AC6CE09A7A0.jpeg

48695F62-95FA-4C0A-879C-CC8F2F436C89.jpeg

On 11/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Nice deer and congrats!

I'm located between Witch Lake and Channing. There you are in the snow belt but not far enough to generally get the really big snows. The deer don't really migrate but rather "yard up" in large numbers most often in low, expansive swamp areas. When the weather breaks and the yards empty (I have experienced this around 30 years ago when I went out on a snowmobile early on the first week of April. The Floodwood Plains area I was in looked like a scene from the African Plains. Hundreds (plural) and I really mean it, were out in force. I had to stop ewice due to deer running and jumping across the sled trail.I'd read about this phenomenon back in the late 1800's/ early 1900's but never thought I'd see it. At the time the deer herd was at a very large High. The next Winter turned out to be very extreme and the deer died by the thousands. It was a very dry summer and it continued into fall. That fall you could walk through ceder swamp bottoms then bone dry and see deer bones littered every where you looked. On the other hand it seemed to me that tragic as it seemed it also seemed in the next few years that it may have really helped the local bear numbers. 

Brad Eden
6 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Got the butcher shop set up in the man cave in the basement. I have several stainless rectangular pans and bowls that I do all my processing in. My knives are mostly Chicago cutlery cast offs that I found at rummage sales and auctions. Food Saver vacuum sealer, and Cabelas heavy duty grinder. When I’m done, the implements all get washed in the double size garden sink and stored in a large tote on top of the “meat fridge” in the basement. I try to keep everything as clean and cold as possible during the processing of game. Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to some. 

A0C73B01-4DC8-4C7B-9B80-D1C0423A2723.jpeg

590BE2E4-9406-4703-A321-49773CFEB769.jpeg

07CBEBBB-3D19-4905-89F2-717FAF0E6BD8.jpeg

3AF6CD3F-CAF0-40D7-AFC7-E59C502D8E5D.jpeg

5D5A526A-8C26-42B7-A0CF-EB3BF678BF81.jpeg

4430118B-B439-4C69-85BF-3AC6CE09A7A0.jpeg

48695F62-95FA-4C0A-879C-CC8F2F436C89.jpeg

Thats cool, it’s a real satisfying feeling going from field to freezer to table all on your own. Folks who dont or never have processed their big game (nothing wrong with that.) may not fully appreciate the work involved. I look at one average deer as a two day job, maybe one if I have someone to help.  The final day is generally grind burger and sausage day. I did 4 deer a few years back and it was a crazy chore. Since then one a year maybe two if a good friend needs me to do it, and I’ve done one doe so far for a good friend this season. I’m still at it, with bow and rifle, mostly stand hunting, but hoping for snow so I can hobble after one.

Very nice.  I did the home butcher thing once Years ago and decided that a processor was cheaper than a divorce so That’s the way I roll now. This year's hunting has been unusual As my best friend has had heart issues and we haven’t been able to do our usual thing. I did get invited to hunt does on another place so I did fill the freezer. I also hunted one evening with another friend and he managed to collect a really nice 9 pt. So there was the excitement of a big buck. Still not quite the same wo Dave. Glad to see you and all the others that have scored And posted here this year. 

Spin, I know what you mean about winter kill and dead deer all over the woods. A few years ago I was trout fishing on opening day and came across 16 dead deer just by the creek bed in about a mile stretch. They were in various stages of decomp and one even looked asleep. It was very sad and disturbing. 

Brad, Yes it is a lot of work to properly process a deer, and I had 2 x 200# bucks to cut up. I got them both done yesterday and am grinding burger and sausage today. My hands hurt a little from gripping slippery tissue and pulling cold meat, but there is satisfaction in a job well done. I usually do two or three a year myself, and help my sister or daughter do theirs since I have all the gear. Having help goes much more quickly but my wife was hunting yesterday so I was flying solo. Having a bunch of sharp knives helps. As one dulls I just grab another out of the block and keep cutting. Safer and less frustrating than using a dull knife. 

Auto-5, Sorry to hear about your friend’s heart issues. I hope he recovers soon. When I have a big pile of meat, like yesterday, I’m tempted to take to a processor, but up here there are only like two guys who do it. One of them is an ahole who I don’t trust, and the other one is so busy I don’t know how he gets through all the deer he has there. I’ve had bad experiences with processors who mixed trim meat with other hunters deer until they had a batch big enough to make burger or sausage. I take good care of my meat but have seen some hanging at the butcher shop that was starting to turn green and rot because the guy who shot it didn’t clean it properly or spent two weeks at camp before taking his deer to his home butcher. I don’t want that meat contaminating mine.  I’m also pretty picky about tallow and silver skin removal. I’ve had other people’s deer that tasted like crayons. I guess if I was cutting on the kitchen table and using the good Tupperware and kitchen sink maybe my wife wouldn’t appreciate that. That’s why I have the dedicated implements and do them away from the main part of the house.  I wouldn’t mind taking some meat to a good sausage smoker guy if I knew one though. All my sausage is seasoned and frozen. 

On 11/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, OldSarge said:

Not sure about all of the deer but, my FIL has a place by Republic and we had a doe with a Very distinctive scar that was on the game camera for five years straight.