Georgia Buck

SelbyLowndes

I hadn't pulled the trigger on a deer for three years, so last evening I decided to fill the freezer for the Winter.  As some of you know, I have a middle GA farm with lots of big deer.  I haven't hunted deer there for years since I let two of my sons run a QDM hunting club for Atlanta guys on it.  It just doesn't seem right for me to hunt it when the club members are paying good money.

Anyhow last winter I found myself without a local hunting club and one of my boys and I leased a little 50 acre tract in an adjoining county.  I set up my ground blinds and have enjoyed watching a few does so far this season.

Yesterday afternoon, the first buck I've seen crossed the 125 yard straight stretch of logging road my blind's on. The roadway is about a two step shot wide and this one didn't stop.  I didn't think to try making a bleat sound like they do on TV to stop him so I took my shot as he walked.  

I shot for the base of the neck which usually drops them in their tracks, but this one ran. I found the blood trail and tracked to about 25 feet of where he lay.  At that point I decided I did not need to be hobbling around in thick woods alone in the dark and called one of my boys.  He came right out and I showed him my last blood and he crossed the thick swale I hadn't wanted to try and found the buck.

My base of the neck shot was a little farther back than I had hoped, but when the .270 slug hit the off shoulder bone it deflected down and took out the heart exiting on the breastbone.  Not a trophy by any means but I was proud to find I could still do it...SelbyLowndes

1510857683_Georgesbuck2020.thumb.jpg.42fbb44faa0b8ef8ae2fe31c672f2f31.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SelbyLowndes

• spring

• OldSarge

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hadn't pulled the trigger on a deer for three years, so last evening I decided to fill the freezer for the Winter.  As some of you know, I have a middle GA farm with lots of big deer.  I haven't hun

My one year-old grandson got his first deer yesterday afternoon, or maybe I should say, saw his first deer after my son shot one and brought it home. Either way, it was fun for both.  I doubt it wil

Since son John dragged out my deer last week, I let him sit in my ground blind today and he bagged this nice 8 pt. about 9:00 this morning...SelbyLowndes  

Posted Images

When my wife saw that picture she said; George, do you realize you are wearing camo from head to toe and no two pieces of it match?  I told her that when you've been around a while all your stuff begins to wear out and you have to wear whatever is left.  Isn't that just like what a woman would pick out from my picture?!...SelbyLowndes

41 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

When my wife saw that picture she said; George, do you realize you are wearing camo from head to toe and no two pieces of it match?  I told her that when you've been around a while all your stuff begins to wear out and you have to wear whatever is left.  Isn't that just like what a woman would pick out from my picture?!...SelbyLowndes

hahaha I never noticed it in the first photo until you mentioned your wife pointed it out

nice deer, when your hunting for venison they are all trophies 

good to see you got out

I went out with my rifle yesterday sat for five hours at the base of a tree on a ridge and only saw two squirrels 

first time I used a rifle in 15 years thought for sure I would get one 

when I got up to walk out everything on me was hurting, getting old is annoying 

WI Outdoor Nut
2 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I shot for the base of the neck which usually drops them in their tracks, but this one ran. I found the blood trail and tracked to about 25 feet of where he lay.  At that point I decided I did not need to be hobbling around in thick woods alone in the dark and called one of my boys.  He came right out and I showed him my last blood and he crossed the thick swale I hadn't wanted to try and found the buck.

My base of the neck shot was a little farther back than I had hoped, but when the .270 slug hit the off shoulder bone it deflected down and took out the heart exiting on the breastbone.  Not a trophy by any means but I was proud to find I could still do it...SelbyLowndes

Maybe I have something to learn here, but why target the neck instead of the lungs?  

2 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Maybe I have something to learn here, but why target the neck instead of the lungs?  

I doubt I'm the one to teach anyone anything.  I use the neck shot because it normally drops a deer in the clearing where I'm shooting at him.  While I'm pretty good at tracking, I am no longer physically able to to walk well on thick or uneven terrain.  When I fall it is a problem.

A lung shot deer can go a pretty long way.  The shot I muffed last night still dropped the buck within 60 yards...SelbyLowndes  

5 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Not a trophy by any means

1510857683_Georgesbuck2020.thumb.jpg.42fbb44faa0b8ef8ae2fe31c672f2f31.jpg

In my book any deer taken in fair chase is trophy.  The smile says it all.  I am glad you got out there.

2 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I doubt I'm the one to teach anyone anything.  I use the neck shot because it normally drops a deer in the clearing where I'm shooting at him.  While I'm pretty good at tracking, I am no longer physically able to to walk well on thick or uneven terrain.  When I fall it is a problem.

A lung shot deer can go a pretty long way.  The shot I muffed last night still dropped the buck within 60 yards...SelbyLowndes  

I used to always lung them and did it for 40 years.  Normally you get a nice blood trail until you don't.  Most lung shot deer go 40 to 75 yards and pile up.  As I get older that 75 yards can be a bit of problem because they can die in an area that can be so dog gone thick that you can't easily get to them and you sure can't easily drag them out to where you can get a vehicle to load them up.   I hunt alone a lot and where normally myself and another individual could drag them to an opening, those days are for the most part done.   I shot a 220 lb deer last year and by damn I couldn't drag him more then 20 yards before I thought I was going to pass out.  The owner went and got his tractor with a scoop and helped me out.  This year he's got bad health problems and because of that I can't count on him to help and thus 2 stands are taken off the list of possibilities as I don't know if I could get the deer out by myself.   If the farm wasn't about to be sold I'd probably buy a second hand 4wheeler to help get to downed deer.  Anyway, I've gotten into shooting more deer in the neck when I have adequate time and a good rest.  Unfortunately this year, every deer has been in high alert mode and about 1 second from bolting and I've had to take quick shots into the chest area.   One doe ran 70 yards and the other about 50 yards.  The buck was shot about 1" under the heart and that presented all sorts of problems.  I had given him 30 minutes to expire and then headed to where I thought he was (without my gun) when he jumped up out the brush and staggered away.  Had to run 50 yards back to grab the gun and run him down and apply a second shot to the neck.   Anyway, given the time, I'll take a neck shot every time now. 

Congratulations on both getting a buck and having the good sense to call for some help.  I see some good eating in your future.

I'm kind of in the same boat.  After many years fairly successful deer hunting, I quit 6 or 7 years ago. Mostly because I have been spending my time and vacation doing quite a bit of bird hunting these last years.  But that is going to change next week.  My grandsons are old enough to hunt now and I'll be going to deer camp with them and their Dad next weekend and am really looking forward it.  One like yours would be just fine.

Nice, looks like you are in the Army, but you got a good eater, I like does better though.