Stripers Today

Got invited on a free charter trip on the Little Hawk out of the Highlands here in NJ today. It’s a 52’ beast of a boat with an 18’ beam. We had a good pick throughout the day. Nothing crazy but brought home a bag of meat. 0482A0E6-8794-49FF-B008-015320873736.thumb.jpeg.a5a99580c60fa204f82f1a7912fa78bb.jpeg

I love striper fishing. Best is casting surface plugs, but it's all good fishing and good on the table as well.

2 hours ago, Chukarman said:

I love striper fishing. Best is casting surface plugs, but it's all good fishing and good on the table as well.

It’s fun but trolling is the most effective way and I’m not a big fan. I’d rather jig or drift eels or cut bait. But, whatever puts meat in the box. This wasn’t a big fish, I think 31” but perfect eating size. We each had one keeper (over 28”  and up to 38”) and one slot between 24” and 28”.

• 2 weeks later...
boon hogganbeck

Nice.  I lived on Cape Cod for 4 years and did a whole lot of striper fishing.  Caught a lot of schoolies on my fly-rod, but took out a kayak when I wanted to catch a big girl for the table... (Had an unsettling Great White encounter once out there.)   I do miss striper fishing.  I could walk to my schoolie spot from my condo.  A buddy of mine, an artist from the Netherlands who was in America for a few months, went out there with me one Halloween night, and we caught so many stripers in the dark, just dozens and dozens, unforgettable night. He was new to fishing and it just blew his mind.

6 minutes ago, boon hogganbeck said:

Nice.  I lived on Cape Cod for 4 years and did a whole lot of striper fishing.  Caught a lot of schoolies on my fly-rod, but took out a kayak when I wanted to catch a big girl for the table... (Had an unsettling Great White encounter once out there.)   I do miss striper fishing.  I could walk to my schoolie spot from my condo.  A buddy of mine, an artist from the Netherlands who was in America for a few months, went out there with me one Halloween night, and we caught so many stripers in the dark, just dozens and dozens, unforgettable night. He was new to fishing and it just blew his mind.

Oh boy a kayak and a Great White. If it had been me out there and the Yak was a self bailer you could bet I would not of had any need to bring "Chum" along.

6 hours ago, boon hogganbeck said:

Kinda like this? I’d lose my mind. There are a few more photos online from this incident. I can’t even imagine. There’s a photo of a 900 pound mako in Australia that’s bitten off behind the gills. 1156EA7B-1F59-440D-B620-83AAB72CA668.jpeg.2f9eb3a5d226885b2acdacf019a21692.jpeg

boon hogganbeck

There was (and is) a huge seal population on the Nat'l Seashore, w/ increasing numbers of great whites.  And of course when the stripers show up the seals come (and will happily steal stripers and blues off your line).   Three of us were paddling out to a buoy, about a quarter-mile out and with a depth of 150 feet of water--or what we thought was the buoy.  Turned out to be a black fin.  Figured it was a porpoise.  It sank down.  We fished for awhile.  The other guys' families were there on shore at the truck.  Suddenly a twelve-footer chases a seal nearly onto the beach, right in front of them. Seal got away that time.  We could see the commotion from the kayaks.  The unsettling thing was that we had to kayak back to the beach, knowing the shark was there in the trough somewhere.  Made it back unscathed, thankfully.  The other guys have seen great whites kill seals out there but I haven't. One guy I fished with had a shark "bump" his kayak with its nose, testing him out.  But amazingly they seem not to register the kayaks as food.   We also had some close whale encounters out there.   But really the most dangerous people were the ones driving the boats.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:59 AM, Swampy 16 said:

There’s a photo of a 900 pound mako in Australia that’s bitten off behind the gills. 

2B967B30-90A2-4E0C-8FF1-EC5E18D66441.jpeg

On 11/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, Chukarman said:

I agree and taking striper chunks and lightly breading in hush puppy mix and frying is very good. (You Northerns may have to look up hush puppy mix, LOL)

On 12/4/2020 at 1:52 PM, topdog1961 said:

2B967B30-90A2-4E0C-8FF1-EC5E18D66441.jpeg

Yup, that’s the one. My friend is a shark fisherman and he’s caught threshers over 400 pounds. They are brutally strong, vicious, killing machines. For the life of me, I cannot imagine the shark that did this. They say megladon is extinct and I believe it, I guess. There was a tagged great white here in Jersey named Mary-Lee, she was 17’ and weighed 3500+ pounds. Yes, you read that correct, 3500 pounds. Only 17’ and 3500 pounds. We are not at the top of the food chain folks.

12 hours ago, SODAKer said:

I agree and taking striper chunks and lightly breading in hush puppy mix and frying is very good. (You Northerns may have to look up hush puppy mix, LOL)

hush puppies are those things the all you can eat crab houses put out in hopes you fill up before eating the good stuff!

There's a quite recent video of a GW eating a seal not 10' off the sand line at Race Point Beach. I have fished the exact spot - it has a nice ledge just a few feet out - and caught keeper-sized fish. When seals show up, I GTFO of the water. My limited experience on the Cape has been that you can catch plenty of stripers on a fly rod without getting your ankles wet, just not always the big girls. 

There was a guy about 20 years or so ago that used to go off Montauk Point at night in a float tube and fish for stripers. He had a red light mounted to a hard hat. The coast guard had picked him up several times and threatened him with potential charges if he didn’t stop. Talk about stupid.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, Swampy 16 said:

There was a tagged great white here in Jersey named Mary-Lee, she was 17’ and weighed 3500+ pounds. Yes, you read that correct, 3500 pounds. Only 17’ and 3500 pounds. We are not at the top of the food chain folks.

Not out there, we're not.