DO YOU PREFER STUFFING OR DRESSING AT THANKSGIVING?

Do you prefer stuffing or dressing at Thanksgiving, Christmas or other times with turkey?  Stuffing being vegetables, etc. cooked inside the turkey cavity.  Dressing being a separate dish made with cornbread, other breading, etc. cooked in its own dish.  I prefer the cornbread dressing sometimes with chicken or oysters in the dressing.  Many people over-season the cornbread dressing with sage.  My wife makes a great cornbread dressing that is never dried out and very tasty.  What do you prefer?

We use them interchangeably whether they're in the bird (regular) or in a pan (oyster).  But dressing for the salad, no stuffing please.

don't like them either way, just takes up space that should be used for real food.

And as for salad, that's not food, that's what food eats.

Likely different names for it in different parts of our country, but here stuffing is bread stuffing in the bird, dressing is bread stuffing out of the bird, and salad dressing is goop in a bottle. We haven't had cornbread stuffing ever. My wife is a good cook but doesn't make stuffing anymore since she found out she can buy it bulk at the local butcher shop. Everybody raves about how good it is and she just thanks them. Don't ask, don't tell.

Dressing for sure.  Green chile corn bread.  Can't beat the nice crisp crust mixed in with the soft inside.  Yum.  

Mike da Carpenter

I never knew there was a difference.  I always called the “dressing” that was inside the bird “stuffing”, and the leftover stuffing that didn’t fit in the bird was placed in a casserole dish and called “dressing”.  Learned something new today.

Oh yeah...That Stuffing/dressing HAD BETTER HAVE GIZZARDS IN IT!!!!!

WPG Gizmo

I make Stuffing out of the bird with browned and crumbled hot Sausage and crisp Bacon in the mix Pepperidge Farms is the base moistened with Chicken stock and lots of melted butter some sauteed Onions with a little Garlic and diced celery.  I need to make a separate pan as there is never any left over for later.

Not many mouths to feed this year so I wont make as much this time around.

1971snipe

Cornbread dressing, separate in its own pan, with not too much rubbed sage.  Giblet gravy on the side, along with cranberries or sauce of course.  

MoSpaniels

Just thank God above for the blessing you have and are about to receive. Amen

Stuffing baked inside the bird. It catches juices and flavors from the turkey you won’t get baking in a separate pan.

Funny how everyone has a personal favorite stuffing/dressing recipe. It seems they are all different.

Mine is not cornbread. No oysters or sausage in it. But you have to cook it inside the bird to incorporate the flavors. Very simple recipe without adding a bunch of extraneous flavors. Cut up stale bread slices, sautée butter, onion, and celery, mix in a bowl and add the secret ingredient; Bell’s seasoning. Then stuff and cook.

Bell’s is made in Weymouth, MA. It’s been around since right after the Civil War, 1867. A small company with no distribution outside the Boston area. I have my brother send me boxes of it when I run low. Without Bell’s you might as well just buy a box of Stove Top and settle for that.

I like stuffing but can't stand to eat turkey.  We're having prime rib on turkey day!

Cornbread dressing done in a dish. Cornbread, onion, butter, herbs, stock. It's my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal.

Grandma made oyster dressing that I never really cared for. 

All that said, it's only half the equation. Excellent gravy on top is a must, but that's another thread.