DO YOU PREFER STUFFING OR DRESSING AT THANKSGIVING?

canvasback

Stuffing for sure. But must confess, about 8 years ago for big meals like Christmas and Thanksgiving, I switched from turkey and stuffing to Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding. Unlikely to go back! ūüėÄ

21 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

I make Stuffing out of the bird with browned and crumbled hot Sausage and crisp Bacon in the mix Pepperidge Farms is the base moistened with Chicken stock and lots of melted butter some sauteed Onions with a little Garlic and diced celery.  I need to make a separate pan as there is never any left over for later.

Not many mouths to feed this year so I wont make as much this time around.

Basically, that is what my wife does but it is usually a mix of white and wild rice that is the "carrier". She always make a large batch extra because some of us prefer to eat the stuffing as a form of fried rice later. Don't forget the sage or summer savoury.

Brad Eden

Redneck...Bells stuffing mix made with onions and celery sautéed in a vat of butter, as per directions. And STUFFED AND COOKED IN THE BIRD. I don’t care that some germaphobes don’t think it should be cooked inside the turkey. Not one bit. It’s delish.

Two Barrels

Dressing here.  Not much sage.  It is better a day or two later as leftovers.

Yes the left over cornbread dressing (if there is left any after the meal and take home food boxes) is great for as long as it lasts.  A little homemade turkey gravy on top just makes it better.  Not the greasy mess when cooked in the turkey.  

Just a southeastern Redneck mountain feller who lives down south where they have and know how to cook vegetables and side dishes.

When I was a kid my mother made a giblet stuffing. She would boil the giblets first. She had a table mounted hand crank grinder. She would put the giblets, lard, Kennedy’s Common Crackers(no longer available) and other stuff through the grinder. As kids we used to fight over who would get to crank the grinder. It was really good but unfortunately I have no clue as to her recipe. Don’t know what happened to the grinder either.

As a kid we always had ‚Äúfilling‚ÄĚ, inside the bird. Cubed bread, egg and seasoning. Sometime oyster ‚Äúfilling‚ÄĚ.

Never knew the term stuffing or dressing till I left PA Dutch country.

We were not too savvy with spices either. Mennonite spice rack consisted of salt, pepper, sugar, and saffron.

We never had store bought pizza. My mom would make the crust and as a sauce use Campbell’s tomato soup, undiluted and American or Velveta cheese. 

On 11/20/2020 at 4:42 PM, Lurch said:

don't like them either way, just takes up space that should be used for real food.

And as for salad, that's not food, that's what food eats.

YES! It's just filler. 

Like others here I never knew there was a difference, the dressing as you call it was just the extra stuffing that didn't fit into the bird. last year I added elk breakfast sausage to my stuffing and everyone raved about it.  Dressing is what goes on salad, yes I like salad with my meats and generally when home alone I eat just meat and salad. I like to make my dressings from scratch when cooking for others, call me a show off. 

That being said these oyster dressings I'm reading about are sounding mighty good, never had oyster in stuffing before as my mother didn't eat seafood of any kind.   I love oysters and will be trying my hand at oyster dressing real soon.

My father, a proper Bostonian, called it "dressing" as did his mother, my grandmother whose roots went back to The Mayflower. The bird was filled up, ie "dressed" so the stuff that came out was "dressing"  My mother also from the Boston area called it "dressing" and she was the one who made it. "Stuffing" although tolerated was considered a more course expression. My parents did not have what some would consider a Boston accent like the Kennedys,  "pahking a cah in Hahvad yahd" they had a more ancient Boston brahmin speech pattern which was more Victorian and old school, broad A's,  as in tomahtoes and bahthroom and "aahshole" and they used strange old words like sitting on a divan rather than on a sofa......my mother would pronounce mischievous as misCHEEveous.....all lah dee dah with the pinky extended.....Regardless, it was the same material that most neighbors and friends called stuffing. I had the broad A affectation too, until I went to college and guy named Ed Boggs, from Racine Wisconsin threatened to knock my block off for being so hoity-toity when I constantly used the pronunciation "aahshole" and he corrected me in the proper pronunciation! So stuffing and dressing were more or less interchangeable in my house growing up. FWIW, it was cooked inside the bird but always there was more leftover after the bird was filled and that was cooked outside the bird but next to it in the roasting pan.