Finally, one down...

6476F14E-F78A-46F8-A12C-AD76E0E976C5.jpeg

103D3D28-58BC-41C8-8C67-D85EC51D86D7.jpeg

DCB0115A-5EA5-4EC6-80EC-04CDE9EAB9FE.jpeg

5C7C14A2-FA8B-47A7-955A-429EDBD6DD8D.jpeg

140 pound dressed Maine Doe

They do grow them big in Maine. Filled a Bonus Doe Tag at 8:30 am. I’m a late bloomer apparently. Rifle season ends on Saturday. After taking a couple morning stands until 8am, with buddy Scott, we walked or “still hunted”, parallel logging roads that were about 75 yards apart to try and spook deer to either of us. I walked up on this humongous doe as she stood staring at 35 yards off the logging road. She was broadside but there was a lot of crap in the way. I thought she was a buck by the size of her.  I held below her chin, on her neck, with the Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight 7mm-08 and was glad I had had the presence of mind to tweak the 3x9 scope all the way down to 3 before I started sneaking. She dropped in her tracks. Another doe I hadn’t seen ran and crossed the road at 20 yards heading toward Scott. Turns out she did poke her head out at 80 yards but leaped across the woods road before he could shoot. (He also has a Doe Tag for this zone). 

This is the biggest doe I have ever seen let alone shot. Hardly any teeth, head like a bull. Silly big really. I hope she eats well. It started snowing about the time she died, and by the time we had geared down for the field dressing and sled drag there was a satisfying and slick skiff of snow. About as perfect a hunt with a good friend as one could ask if not only after antler.

I still have my regular Any Deer tag so can still hunt for a Buck or a Doe. And we have a Muzzleloader season that runs until December 12 as well as the Expanded bow season that runs til the 12th as well. I still have tags for bow too.  May or may not try for another. As is she is gonna fill my freezer.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as having a load of free range protein hanging and cooling off the deck. 

44 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

Yeesh that is a big gal. Nice one to take! Congrats Brad!

Yeah, when I texted JoAnn a photo she texted back. “that’s a Large Lady!”. 😆

8A642D81-CD5E-4ECA-9ACE-855E346908C1.jpeg

Raining, moved her to garage. I need a bigger tractor. Ridiculous.🙃

That's a BIG doe, Brad. Congrats on a nice shot in the woods. And hard to say how old she might be, with no teeth at all. That Orange tractor is a workhorse and yr FEL is big enough, just. 😉

That's a huge doe.  I shot one the other day that live weight was 125 lbs that dressed out to 105 and she was big by Virginia standards.  Yours would be considered a nice size buck down here.  

Birdcountry70

A friend once killed a big old whitetail doe and was told by the biologist at the check station that he figured her to be 10-1/2 years old. He was thinking the meat wouldn't be too good but he said she was as good as any deer he'd had. I'm betting yours will eat just fine too. Nice job!

Man you shot the old lady of the woods she will eat just fine 👍

1 hour ago, Birdcountry70 said:

A friend once killed a big old whitetail doe and was told by the biologist at the check station that he figured her to be 10-1/2 years old. He was thinking the meat wouldn't be too good but he said she was as good as any deer he'd had. I'm betting yours will eat just fine too. Nice job!

I checked in a 6.5yo doe that was as tasty as the 1.5yo deer from the same place.

Nice doe!

Great deer; she's huge!!  I thought we had some big deer in the Midwest.  Its cool hearing/seeing the terrain differences in the NE vs the MW.  That first picture tells a neat story.  Congrats Brad!

Nice work, better than getting it with your truck. Lots of hunters in my area won't take a doe and I just don't get it, we have way too many deer. 

48 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Nice work, better than getting it with your truck. Lots of hunters in my area won't take a doe and I just don't get it, we have way too many deer. 

We like to eat them so no discrimination here. Where I live is the Mecca for ME deer population, if there is such a thing in ME.. The wildlife agency heavily promotes taking does in my zone to manage the overall herd. When I saw her body I actually thought she was a buck and I just couldn’t see the antlers. Didn’t know she was a monster doe til I walked up on her on the ground. Wasn’t disappointed.