Finally, one down...

That’s a huge doe.  The biggest I’ve ever seen to known weight was a 150# doe a friend shot.  And that weight was not a dressed weight.  This day in time a pretty big buck will weigh a little mare than 150# before dressed. 

5 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The tarsal glands are really large and dark on your doe.

They are very large and she smelled like a rutting buck. Almost thought it was an anterless buck, but no “junk” to be found. 

2C4A2792-11F8-4D9C-BB5E-ECF7BC8724CE.jpeg

21DF22F7-B923-4D71-97A2-FCA694F4A40C.jpeg

I’ve never had to cut through so much fat to get to the meat. I don’t think she fawned (old does often don’t I have heard) so wasn’t depleted one ounce. Skinned. Check. Quartered. Check. Cut. Check. Inner tenderloin, backstrap and all steaks vac sealed. Check. Tomorrow the burger grind will happen, etc. 

Birdcountry70

If that amount of fat is an indication of what kind of winter Maine is going to have,  you're in trouble!

8 hours ago, bmeador said:

Wow, what a doe!  How much burger did she give you in addition to the other cuts?

I think I’m at around 16 pounds. Could have been 20 if I spent a whole day picking away at ribs and bones. I find front shoulders pretty much burger territory, but rear quarters are all roasts and steaks. I did save a nice section of backstrap for a slow smoke. Gonna grind for burger and breakfast sausage today. Will add some ground pork to some as well.

Oh yeah, with another Any Deer tag (Buck or another Doe) I bought a muzzleloader license. That season runs til Dec 12th. So, I guess it ain’t over til it’s over as they say. Would love some snow to head to camp and take up a track in the big woods.

I can't get over the amount of fat on that doe, much less her size!  You got a good amount of meat off her.

Fat as a dang hog. Save the date, render it on low heat, save the oil and use it to fry home made chips and french fries?? Or oil a squeaky door?

Brad did you. Find yourself having to sharpen your knife with all that fat. I shot a deer that was like that and it seemed to me to really take the edge off your knife despite being relative soft and easy to cut.

28 minutes ago, Auto-5 said:

Brad did you. Find yourself having to sharpen your knife with all that fat. I shot a deer that was like that and it seemed to me to really take the edge off your knife despite being relative soft and easy to cut.

I have a full set of skinning, caping and processing knives, and I did run the sharpener over the skinning knife more than usual while trimming hind quarter fat and trying to get to the backstraps.

A friend is coming by tomorrow to pick up the scraps, head, hide, bones, etc for coyote bait. Them yotes will eat well before getting whacked.