Pebble Mine permit denied

I thought it never destined to pass. I suspect some additional recent openings to federal lands will reverse, or become less appealing.

Very good news, Been celebrating all ready so won't get too in depth.  Too much Bourbon in holiday mode.  It's set back enough that I will never see it happen in my life time.  The local tribes have a say, the state still has control of the leases, and there remains a Sh** pot full of money in the ground.   It takes a generation to change an outlook.  I will continue to make a living honestly and catch the biggest wild jumping Mfing rainbows this side of the dateline till my time is up knowing others may do  the same.  

Cheers

Other than maybe the Skeena or Situk, but I have not fished them in 25 years.

I like watching gold miners tv show but I’ve always thought that they were creating damage to the ground that is irreversible. There are so many things we do to this earth that the cause effects other things down the line. Some effects are positive some not so much. 

I guided for trout and salmon out of Iliamna in my younger days and am so glad this has been shot down,  for now. Let's hope the area never has a mine of any kind!

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Ted Stevens had it right. It is the wrong mine in the wrong place. It would have created a lot of needed jobs in an economically depressed area, but it was not feasible the way it was planned. Perhaps it is buried forever, I can only hope.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 1:20 PM, Dick Sellers said:

Welcome news, indeed, but I won't celebrate quite yet.

Amen. It often takes more than a court finding to stop some of the determined misuses of publicaly owned resources.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, bmeador said:

I guided for trout and salmon out of Iliamna in my younger days and am so glad this has been shot down,  for now. Let's hope the area never has a mine of any kind!

Did a fly out on the Tazimina River in the Bristol Bay Watershed in the late 1990s.  Outfitter was High Adventure.  Fantastic trip.  Went for Rainbows, but there were 1,000's and 1,000's of Sockeye Spawning and that made that Rainbow fishing tough.  I got a 5.5 pound Rainbow and my buddy got a 6.5 pounder.  Caught Grayling and Dolly Varden also.  They landed us on a very small lake via floatplane and it was teeming with Northern Pike.  Could catch them on every other cast.   After eating fish for 3 straight days we got a mid-week check flight where they flew us in about 6 lbs of T-bones.   Steaks never tasted so good.  Then we ate more fish until they picked us up.   Helluva nice trip and pretty cheap back in those days.   

I loved it up there. Guiding in the summers and hunting and trapping in the winter. Never really got tired of eating fish but winters with nothing but moose meat got a little old!  The grayling were my favorite with silvers a close second.

Alaskan Swamp Collie
12 hours ago, bmeador said:

I loved it up there. Guiding in the summers and hunting and trapping in the winter. Never really got tired of eating fish but winters with nothing but moose meat got a little old!  The grayling were my favorite with silvers a close second.

You must have lived in the interior. On the coasts we can knock the snow off of the skiff and sneak out to get a feeder king. Now that is great eating, especially a fresh salmon in January.

I started fishing some of the streams on the northern edge of Bristol Bay and northward in the early 80's! Some awesome fishing for all species of Pacific salmon, along with some large rainbows, dollies and plenty of grayling. Hunted and fished in the Bristol Bay area with a good friend who taught in a few different villages along with finishing his career teaching in Dillingham. We had some great adventures over the years and I can't imagine the degradation a huge mine would cause to the streams in the area...I don't believe there is such a thing as an eco friendly mine operation!

Of course, I grew up an hour of so away from the Silver Valley, here in N ID and saw first hand what large scale mining could do to the rivers and landscape from unchecked mine waste being dumped into the river, so I may be a bit jaded and skeptical about how the environment will be protected from the mine waste...crap happens! After 45 years or so of hazard waste site and river clean up, we're still told to not eat too many fish from the river and adjoining lakes and not to wade in the mud or it can stir up some of the heavy metals that settled to the bottom. I used to hunt above CDA lake and CDA river for deer and the color of the river, as best as I can describe was a pea soup green from the waste, flowing out into the lake a ways before it settled to the lake bottom. A legacy I envision for the Bristol Bay area if it hadn't been stopped!

• 5 weeks later...
Alaskan Swamp Collie

Trying not to be political Brad. So just the facts. The governor of Alaska has just filed an appeal to the denying of the permit. Claims Alaska has the right to develop their resources. Probably won't make national news these days. I think it is a timing thing.