Pebble Mine permit denied

Snipeaholic

I’ve kept up with it loosely and am disappointed to hear that. I found this podcast on Meateater interesting. Pebble Mine Podcast

Dick Sellers

By way of background, for 22 years (1980-2002) I was the ADF&G wildlife biologist for the area from Lake Clark Pass to the Aleutian Islands.  It would be hard to find a more spectacular piece of country anywhere in in North America, and the site of and scope of development for the proposed Pebble Mine is deeply troubling.  That area is true wilderness, with no existing infrastructure. The current commercial enterprises consist of saltwater commercial fishing, sport fishing, subsistence and sport hunting, bear viewing at McNeil River. The proposed Pebble mine would potentially disrupt all of these. 

I know this whole issue is very political, but hopefully it won't go "off the rails".

Alaskan Swamp Collie
2 hours ago, Dick Sellers said:

By way of background, for 22 years (1980-2002) I was the ADF&G wildlife biologist for the area from Lake Clark Pass to the Aleutian Islands.  It would be hard to find a more spectacular piece of country anywhere in in North America, and the site of and scope of development for the proposed Pebble Mine is deeply troubling.  That area is true wilderness, with no existing infrastructure. The current commercial enterprises consist of saltwater commercial fishing, sport fishing, subsistence and sport hunting, bear viewing at McNeil River. The proposed Pebble mine would potentially disrupt all of these. 

I know this whole issue is very political, but hopefully it won't go "off the rails".

I too hope this will not go off rails. I've been an Alaskan since the mid 70's except for a small amount of time when my wife was in school. I have lived and worked in many places throughout the state including places in Bristol Bay like Dillingham and Lake Clark. I also know many people that work on the north Slope. I will continue to "bite my tongue". I just feel the the timing of this is coincided to be when these issues slip under the national radar. Nuff said.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:48 PM, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

Ted Stevens had it right. It is the wrong mine in the wrong place. It would have created a lot of needed jobs in an economically depressed area, but it was not feasible the way it was planned. Perhaps it is buried forever, I can only hope.

And the Pebble Mine would've destroyed a thriving fishing commercial and sportfishing industry and cost countless more jobs than it created. The Bristol Bay fishery is the greatest salmon fishery in the world. From what I know of the issue and I've been following it for years, most of those Pebble Mine jobs wouldn't likely go to locals either.