NH Farm Fresh Lamb arrived...need your favorite lamb recipes (smoker or otherwise)

A friend of mine is a NH Sheep hobby farmer and this year we signed up for a lamb...30 lbs of farm fresh USDA Approved lamb vacuum packaged and frozen by his butcher arrived from this year's harvest (any interested local NH UJers feel free to PM as he has a few more lambs available 🙂).

Unfortunately my electric smoker died and I send it to the dump and have been watching out for online sales. My current choice is the Smokin-it Model #1 coupled with Auber Instruments PID controller Model # WSD-1200GPH but open to suggestions (been checking site for Black Friday sales but no signs yet of discounts being offered on either)...thoughts?

Guess what both had sales...minor not great but I took the bait and there is a Model No 1 on the way along with the Model 1500 PID controller (being a certified gadget guy I just couldn't resist the WIFI App option that let's you check status anywhere you have cell or internet service).

I plan on smoking some of it but this is full cut so came with tongue, liver, and other tasty cuts so looking for some of your favorite lamb recipes for the cold weather coming our way...thanks for any ideas offered...stews, roasts, smoker, etc.

Pierre

Edited by Jazz4Brazo
Missing Info
  • Jazz4Brazo changed the title to NH Farm Fresh Lamb arrived...need your favorite lamb recipes (smoker or otherwise)
  • 2 weeks later...

Pierre, my wife and I would always jump at any fresh lamb that we hear of but our local farmer/supplier stopped raising lambs last year due to health reasons. So for the first time in years we don't have any in the freezer.

As for the cooking, I never preferred to smoke lamb as we like the little bit of "lamb-ness" taste that is inherent and smoking masks the aroma too much. But, we do like to do kebabs over a quick hot bed of coals, racks, stews, curries, and of course leg o' lamb roasts.

The organ meats of lamb are one of the main reasons why I buy fresh lamb. Quick grilled lamb liver is to die for, lamb kidneys are a favourite to kebab, etc...There was a butcher located next to the farm where we got our lambs every year and most people went to him to do the slaughtering and butchering. He used to throw the offal away for the clients who didn't want them. At one time I got him to save and freeze kidneys, hearts tongues and livers for me. I gave him $5 for each 10# bag, and once in a while I would invite all the middle easterners and Brits I knew for an "offal barbecue". Of course I always had chops and steaks on hand but they were often not touched.

I like pan fried lamb chops, but there also good in my rotisserie.  Medium rare and there delicious. 

Lamb is delicate, do not over cook!  It's best done simply and eaten rare.  Smoking a lamb would be a sin.  

If it was mutton, then smoking is approved and is wonderful.  

Mike da Carpenter

I have never cooked lamb, but it is one of my most favorite meats to eat.  I’m the only one in the house who likes it, so I only get it when we happen to be somewhere that has it on the menu (that isn’t often).  Next time my wife goes away with her girlfriends, I just might try re-introducing lamb to the boys.  I’ll also get them a pack of hotdogs just in case.

Please keep the recipes coming as I will be following this.

4 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

Lamb is delicate, do not over cook!  It's best done simply and eaten rare.  Smoking a lamb would be a sin.  

If it was mutton, then smoking is approved and is wonderful.  

I have to disagree.  One of the best "BBQ" meals I've ever had was some Smoked Lamb at a Portland Oregon BBQ Joint "The Peoples Pig"o.jpg

Pierre - our favorite lamb meal is braised lamb shanks or Osso Bucco. There is a thread on this forum about moose Osso Bucco. Easy recipe that is based on lamb shanks. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

7 hours ago, dogrunner said:

That looks over done for my taste. 

Smoked to 205F they say, has to get to that temp to break down collagen and connective tissues they say.  

All I know is that it was damn good eating!

I do a traditional rack of lamb reverse seared. We season it with a marinade paste made of freshly cut rosemary, thyme, kosher salt and olive oil. The paste is slathered over the entire rack and put in the refrigerator overnight. I put it on my Primo ceramic grill at 300 and bring it to about 120 internal. Then I bring the grill temp to about 600 and sear to create a outer crust. It’s a perfect medium rare with a outer crust! 

I've only had lamb a few time.  Tried it at various restaurants over the years and was never impressed.   

Then a local grocery store went out of business a few years ago.   I bought a rack at a big discount and cooked it with this recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/45641/roasted-rack-of-lamb/

It was so good I went back the next day and purchased the rest of the racks they had left.   

The normal price is so ridiculous for rack of lamb that I haven't had it since.   May have to splurge soon though.

I make a lamb/barley soup sometimes in the winter. A hearty soup. Look for recipes on line. 

I like to butterfly a leg, marinate in greek yogurt, olive oil, rosemary, garlic (or better, poach garlic in salted olive oil), salt and pepper, sear it good under the broiler or on a hot, hot grill, and then put it in the oven at 300 until internal temp is about 130-133, pull it out and tent it with foil until it reaches 142 and slice on the bias. 

Haven't cooked any yet and already order more based on all these suggestions 😍😄