Neat trick I learned for dragging a doe

Does have always been an issue to drag as there is really nothing on the head to hang onto. Pull by the legs and the head is dragging.  Simply take a piece of parachute chord about 4’ long , tie the two front legs together, with your knife cut a slit thru the inside of the jaw bone exiting under the tongue. Push the tag end of the parachute chord thru the slit and tie it on a stick to serve as a handle. When you pull on the cord the legs will be pulled up to the deers chin and you can lift both the legs and head and drag your deer  easily.

one time a buddy and I were dragging a buck out by its hind legs. The antlers were hanging up on every tree and rock.

This old guy yelled down from his tree stand and said, "Hey you dummies, if you pull by the antlers, they won't get caught and you'll be dragging "with" the fur - much easier"

We dropped the hind legs, ran around to the other side and started pulling.

After a while, my buddy said, "Boy, I'm glad that guy said something - it certainly is easier dragging this way"

"yeah, I said, but now we're getting farther and farther from the truck!"

Nobody ever accused us of being smart.

If you throw a half hitch around the snout and pull it really tight the legs don't unfold all the time either.

Always tied the front legs and wrapped the cord around the neck never had a problem but let me tell you it is so much easier when you use a cart.  Normally what we do is the guy that shot the deer cleans and tags it while the other goes back for the cart in the truck the cart has backpack straps so it is easy to get to the site of the kill and the deer gets wheeled out.   

I call it the meat wagon. Old jet sled, a couple angle iron bed rails, a steel shooting rail off an old ladder stand, and the axle off my grandpas old garden cart. It hooks up to the four wheeler or can be pulled by hand. Works good for firewood too. 

D0EE53FC-3D5B-4174-87F7-399C714FE0AE.jpeg

22648922-25C9-48AF-8F5B-A9F11E8B3759.jpeg

B1D4D7EF-7CD5-4706-B5A1-66832D78588A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Natty Bumpo said:

3+ on the large Jet Sled. Great for hauling out deer, firewood, and ice fishing too.

Yep. Any fire wood that isn't trail side gets a ride in my sled before loading into the old Chevy.

103D3D28-58BC-41C8-8C67-D85EC51D86D7.jpeg

Yup. I was young and stupid once and dragged for miles, but gained knowledge and lost strength as I aged...

My finding have always been the same in that I "Never" shoot one of those old long nosed does 😁 so my drag is typically pretty easy .  I wil cross the legs on top of a does head and tie them together for a handle - like - easy drag.

I had a nice folding wheeled deer cart that I kept in the bed of the truck last season. Somehow it came up missing for this season. I suspect I set it out of the bed, alongside the drive late last season when I needed to haul something in the truck, like I often did, and someone driving by helped themselves to it, and I never noticed back then. 😡

For many years I have used a Deer Sleigh’r brand Game Sled, have both the regular and Elk sizes.  Elk works well on bigger deer.  Buddies have borrowed it and now they own them as well.

I do a version of this, I use a buckle tie down strap, cinched tight around the front hooves and neck.    

But the best way to get a doe out of the woods is to hunt with guys younger than you.  Good guys.  The kind that see your sorry ass struggling, and then just drag it out for you.  

I also make it a point to only shoot small deer. That helps mmensely with this problem. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 😁

On 11/30/2020 at 6:58 AM, max2 said:

My finding have always been the same in that I "Never" shoot one of those old long nosed does 😁 so my drag is typically pretty easy .  I wil cross the legs on top of a does head and tie them together for a handle - like - easy drag.

This is what we have always done.