MT 2020 season is in the books

Birdcountry70

Birdcountry70

At 5:01 pm our 5 week general big game season ended. Another year passing without taking a huge mule deer which I set as a personal goal 7 years ago. This year was probably the most fun I've had for many seasons. Between helping my younger boy get his 2nd buck (a whitetail this time), guiding a friend to a great mulie buck, taking a whitetail/mule deer cross doe, looking over a ton of deer, spending a bunch of time on the wide open plains and then topping it off by taking a nice doe with a handgun an hour before our season ended. Although 2020 may have been a total mess in a lot of ways,  I'm thankful for the great season I've had. 

20201129_153734.jpg

20201129_163005.jpg

Birdcountry70
2 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Very cool.  What caliber?  .44?  How far do you feel accurate?

Yes, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. With a very solid rest like laying down on my backpack I feel like I could reliably shoot 85 yards or so. I use a homemade rest on top of a primos trigger sticks tripod and it's not quite as steady. With that setup I could probably shoot 60 yards but closer is better of course. This was only my 2nd deer with a handgun. The first was about 15 yards, this one was probably 25.

20201127_140428.jpg

WI Outdoor Nut
5 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Yes, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. With a very solid rest like laying down on my backpack I feel like I could reliably shoot 85 yards or so. I use a homemade rest on top of a primos trigger sticks tripod and it's not quite as steady. With that setup I could probably shoot 60 yards but closer is better of course. This was only my 2nd deer with a handgun. The first was about 15 yards, this one was probably 25.

20201127_140428.jpg

Very nice.  I have always wanted to shoot one with a pistol, but about the time I was going to get a gun setup, we became pretty heavy into QDM and would hate to have to let a good buck walk because I was not confident with my firearm.  And I still kick myself in the butt, as I should have a super redhawk in my arsenal, but I didn't pull the trigger at the time.  I was 17 at the time, and a guy I worked with had a blued super red hawk.  He was going to sell it to me for $250.  That was a lot of money at the time, but still should have bought it.  

Birdcountry70
2 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Very nice.  I have always wanted to shoot one with a pistol, but about the time I was going to get a gun setup, we became pretty heavy into QDM and would hate to have to let a good buck walk because I was not confident with my firearm.  And I still kick myself in the butt, as I should have a super redhawk in my arsenal, but I didn't pull the trigger at the time.  I was 17 at the time, and a guy I worked with had a blued super red hawk.  He was going to sell it to me for $250.  That was a lot of money at the time, but still should have bought it.  

I know what you mean about missing opportunities because you only have a handgun. Last year I  watched a very nice mule deer buck walk past at 225 yards with only the 44 in my hand. Sometimes I carry both with the idea that a closer shot could be taken with the handgun. Leaving the rifle home takes a discipline I don't always have. It definitely adds some excitement to hunting does. Yesterday was also the last day I will be able to hunt in that spot since that part of my inlaws ranch has been sold and barring another delay possession transfers to the new owner today. Taking that deer was a good farewell to one of my favorite spots.

Very cool. That’s something I want to do before I head to the big hunting camp in the sky. I was thinking of looking for a TC single shot pistol in 7mm-08, scope it etc. But we have such low deer limits for firearms up here I have enough of a challenge to fill a tag, so I haven’t moved on it.

51 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Very cool. That’s something I want to do before I head to the big hunting camp in the sky. I was thinking of looking for a TC single shot pistol in 7mm-08, scope it etc. But we have such low deer limits for firearms up here I have enough of a challenge to fill a tag, so I haven’t moved on it.

Kid..... Ya gotta follow your dreams . I say go for it !