Vizsla owners->Vizsla Breeders

Its time to start looking for my next V.  I hunt open country for wild quail and do a few dove hunts.  Hoping to do prairie grouse in a few years when he is in his prime.

If you have a Vizsla and would get another from the same breeder please shoot me a PM. Location of the breeder is not a problem, I have been traveling over 1400 miles for pups in the past

What kind of quail?  What range do you like?  I breed V’s, but know quite a few breeders.  Give me a call if you want and we can discuss, probably easier than messaging back and forth.  

anyone else can call as well, brandon

757 784 1626

Scaled and Bob Whites primarily, but I have shot several Gambels and a few Montezumas too.

What time of day during the week works best for you?  What time zone too?

I am eastern, anytime on weekends are fine.  I am up late.  During the week T/th mornings are best, usually before 1 est.

brandon

Bird_Man_mike

I just got your PM.  Ill call you later.

For anyone else interested, Ill post my thoughts on this pup I got from Robert Tomczak here.  

She is my first vizsla - shell be 5 months old in 2 days.  She is the smartest pup Ive had or been around - she was basically housebroke from the getgo with less than a handful of accidents in her crate or the house and those probably just due to being left alone for a while (I am home most of the time, but do have to be out on occasion).    She lives up to the vizsla reputation of being velcro in the house.   Sweet as can be, very clingy.  My only complaint is she is a crier/whiner at times when crated.  She is crated a fair bit during the day - both because I want her to have some alone time and because I have work to do and cant be watching her constantly (not that she really gets into much - just typical puppy antics) - and at times, when she doesnt want her alone time, the crying can be excessive.  I guess vizslas can be whiney at times from what others have told me.  Overall, she is an absolutely wonderful dog around the house.  

Afield she has thus far been bold and confident, with exceptions.  She runs hard and is always exploring.  Nose high like a pointer, not down to the ground scenting like a lot of versatile breeds.  I am just letting her be a puppy and not putting too much pressure on her until just recently.  I typically hunt every day (falconry) and take her with us with the routine being run my griff and fly the bird, then bring the pup out after to run a little with the griff.  Ill move onto running her on actual birds with the griff in another month or two (falconry goes til end of March). 

She is starting to point naturally.  Last week, I got a really beautiful hard point (just for a few seconds) on the sage where we had flushed grouse not 20 minutes earlier - she had no idea why she was doing it, she just did it.  

I have started hiding coturnix quail around my property the past few days.  She starting pointing them on smell immediately, again without knowing why she was doing it.  They are food quail, not fliers, so when she would find them, Id pick them up from their hiding place to put out in the open for her to inspect.  She of course pointed them, but it took her a couple days to work up the gumption to actually grab one.  Shed point, creep, paw at it a little so it 'flew' (more like jumped), then point it again.  She was a little nervous about it.  Very different than my griff who at this age would chomp anything that moved.  As said, took her a couple days to finally grab one and chomp it pretty good, but once she did she was all in and is now SUPER excited about things.  Two days ago, we lost one of the quail (pre-chomp) in the high grass of my pasture.  A few hours later that day (post-chomp), we were out there with my other dogs on a walk down to the river.  The other dogs ran the pasture without ever getting bird-y, but the little girl's tail started going and sure enough she locked up on the quail, a good 30 yards from where I had last seen it.  Really impressed me.  

Despite her confidence out running about, she is soft.  She can take offense easily, as per vizsla reputation.  As an example, there was one evening she was mad at me about something, not sure what, and she wouldnt even look at me - Id talk to her, and shed turn her head looking away.  

I am not putting much pressure on her yet.  For one, I dont put much pressure (unless required for certain things) on my dogs in training, preferring to just let them figure things out.  No real pigeon work and pen birds and launchers, etc., as I am of the belief this causes bad habits - itll be learning on wild birds.  Different discussion.  I have also not introduced the gun yet.  She has heard gunshots from me shooting deer and ducks on the property and not been disturbed at all, according to my missus who is with her in the house at the time, but I am slightly of the mind she is not ready for the pressure of being shot over just yet.  I have head of very gun shy vizslas introduced too early - while she is meant to be a falconry dog, I will probably shoot over her  on occasion and I cant have her nervous of gunfire, in general, while afield. 

The short version of this is: Thus far, she shows more promise than my other dogs.  She is smart, bold, confident, and curious, but she can be soft about some new experiences and pressure.  She lives up to the vizsla reputation of being a 'velcro dog' around the house.  I am really happy with her and excited for the future.

Mike

Bird_Man_mike

Oh, and she eats more s*** than any dog Ive seen.  Drives me nuts.  Not dog crap, but horse, cow, fox, raccoon, grouse, deer...whatever she can find.  She stops mid run, picks up a mouthful, then goes running off happily chewing.  Never seen a dog so excited about eating crap.  Just thought Id add that little tidbit.  Ha ha.

Mike

4 hours ago, Bird_Man_mike said:

I just got your PM.  Ill call you later.

For anyone else interested, Ill post my thoughts on this pup I got from Robert Tomczak here.  

She is my first vizsla - shell be 5 months old in 2 days.  She is the smartest pup Ive had or been around - she was basically housebroke from the getgo with less than a handful of accidents in her crate or the house and those probably just due to being left alone for a while (I am home most of the time, but do have to be out on occasion).    She lives up to the vizsla reputation of being velcro in the house.   Sweet as can be, very clingy.  My only complaint is she is a crier/whiner at times when crated.  She is crated a fair bit during the day - both because I want her to have some alone time and because I have work to do and cant be watching her constantly (not that she really gets into much - just typical puppy antics) - and at times, when she doesnt want her alone time, the crying can be excessive.  I guess vizslas can be whiney at times from what others have told me.  Overall, she is an absolutely wonderful dog around the house.  

Afield she has thus far been bold and confident, with exceptions.  She runs hard and is always exploring.  Nose high like a pointer, not down to the ground scenting like a lot of versatile breeds.  I am just letting her be a puppy and not putting too much pressure on her until just recently.  I typically hunt every day (falconry) and take her with us with the routine being run my griff and fly the bird, then bring the pup out after to run a little with the griff.  Ill move onto running her on actual birds with the griff in another month or two (falconry goes til end of March). 

She is starting to point naturally.  Last week, I got a really beautiful hard point (just for a few seconds) on the sage where we had flushed grouse not 20 minutes earlier - she had no idea why she was doing it, she just did it.  

I have started hiding coturnix quail around my property the past few days.  She starting pointing them on smell immediately, again without knowing why she was doing it.  They are food quail, not fliers, so when she would find them, Id pick them up from their hiding place to put out in the open for her to inspect.  She of course pointed them, but it took her a couple days to work up the gumption to actually grab one.  Shed point, creep, paw at it a little so it 'flew' (more like jumped), then point it again.  She was a little nervous about it.  Very different than my griff who at this age would chomp anything that moved.  As said, took her a couple days to finally grab one and chomp it pretty good, but once she did she was all in and is now SUPER excited about things.  Two days ago, we lost one of the quail (pre-chomp) in the high grass of my pasture.  A few hours later that day (post-chomp), we were out there with my other dogs on a walk down to the river.  The other dogs ran the pasture without ever getting bird-y, but the little girl's tail started going and sure enough she locked up on the quail, a good 30 yards from where I had last seen it.  Really impressed me.  

Despite her confidence out running about, she is soft.  She can take offense easily, as per vizsla reputation.  As an example, there was one evening she was mad at me about something, not sure what, and she wouldnt even look at me - Id talk to her, and shed turn her head looking away.  

I am not putting much pressure on her yet.  For one, I dont put much pressure (unless required for certain things) on my dogs in training, preferring to just let them figure things out.  No real pigeon work and pen birds and launchers, etc., as I am of the belief this causes bad habits - itll be learning on wild birds.  Different discussion.  I have also not introduced the gun yet.  She has heard gunshots from me shooting deer and ducks on the property and not been disturbed at all, according to my missus who is with her in the house at the time, but I am slightly of the mind she is not ready for the pressure of being shot over just yet.  I have head of very gun shy vizslas introduced too early - while she is meant to be a falconry dog, I will probably shoot over her  on occasion and I cant have her nervous of gunfire, in general, while afield. 

The short version of this is: Thus far, she shows more promise than my other dogs.  She is smart, bold, confident, and curious, but she can be soft about some new experiences and pressure.  She lives up to the vizsla reputation of being a 'velcro dog' around the house.  I am really happy with her and excited for the future.

Mike

this all tracks very closely with my wirehaired viz (different breeder of course) but none of that has changed over 11 years. 

rick

10 hours ago, Bird_Man_mike said:

Oh, and she eats more s*** than any dog Ive seen.  Drives me nuts.  Not dog crap, but horse, cow, fox, raccoon, grouse, deer...whatever she can find.  She stops mid run, picks up a mouthful, then goes running off happily chewing.  Never seen a dog so excited about eating crap.  Just thought Id add that little tidbit.  Ha ha.

Mike

Be cautious of worms, mine got some at that age by eating horse crap. 

Barna 

Thanks everyone.  I am making contacts and looking over pedigrees.  Looks like 2022 pup instead of my hopes for 2021.

Thanks to all using the PM function when talking dog breeders. I sincerely strive for a UJ to be a valuable resource, but have been bitten more than once when breeders etc are “discussed” on a public forum.