Winter Fly Fishing

4 hours ago, Huntschool said:

Fishing the winter stuff is great fun.  I did it bck in Jersey and now do it out here over in MO and AR.  I really am a dry fly person but you can catch some killer fish over there with nymphs and streamers.  The browns on the White, Norfork and the Missouri waters really show well on those "half chicken" articulated streamers.  The down side is it take a pretty stout rod to throw them and a sink tip line.

However, I have had some luck with an Orvis impregnated bamboo 8'6" rod throwing a 6 wt. Line and a Scott 7wt throwing a 7 wt line, with smaller versions of those articulated streamers.  Just have to work at it but what the heck its still fly fishing.

I would really like to get back to Jersey and fish "The Gorge" during the winter.

Look me up if you come out.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swampy 16

• Geoff Roznak

• browndrake

• Spin

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spend my winters here. Haven’t run into any snow or ice yet.

I got out (garden state no less) with my grouse hunting buddy and picked up my first trout in 2021.  They were refusing pretty much everything till about noon and then we had some pretty good fishing

March 2020, North Umpqua River, Oregon winter run native Steelhead.

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Look me up if you come out.

Thanks....  I will if I can work it out.

• 4 weeks later...
brushbuster
On 12/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, Swampy 16 said:

Anyone use Orvis fly rods? I just bought the 10’ 3 weight Clearwater. 

I have that exact model and use it for tight line nymphing most of the time. So far I've been happy with mine.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:26 PM, Doubles in Oregon said:

DSCN0569.jpgMarch 2020, North Umpqua River, Oregon winter run native Steelhead.DSCN0570.jpg

That Yellow Clouser Dumbbell bell headed fluorescent pink fly would produce well on steelies in the Lk. Michigan Trib's

in early spring, high slightly colored water.

brushbuster

I got out (garden state no less) with my grouse hunting buddy and picked up my first trout in 2021.  They were refusing pretty much everything till about noon and then we had some pretty good fishing for about 30 minutes before I had to leave.

IMG_1027.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
rufftrout
On 12/8/2020 at 4:21 AM, Swampy 16 said:

Does anyone take to the streams in the colder months? I’m not talking about Arizona in February or things of that nature. I’m talking about northern streams. Busting through ice at the streams edge, ice in your guides, ice floating by you, that kind of winter fly fishing. 

In Ct I fly Fish thru the winter months, but really focus on the small stream wild trout, they will sometimes rise to an adams parachute or a grey/ black CDC stonefly.....

Don’t get out to the streams much but local lakes offer a chance for some winter fish. Cold hands and ice in the guides but worth it. 63F50301-7CF6-4710-89FB-CBE491822E81.thumb.jpeg.842690bd29965e7b477444652549b6d5.jpeg

Swampy 16
6 hours ago, upstate said:

Don’t get out to the streams much but local lakes offer a chance for some winter fish. Cold hands and ice in the guides but worth it. 63F50301-7CF6-4710-89FB-CBE491822E81.thumb.jpeg.842690bd29965e7b477444652549b6d5.jpeg

Nice brownie! Right. Ow I’m afraid I’ll slide into the River if I try getting back to my favorite parking area. We’ve had a lot of snow lately.