Public access land blocked

All the time , certain counties are worse than others in Wisconsin , I’ve seen huge swatch’s of county forest with great upland bird potential that are simply impassible for me due to creek/ river/ tag alders , or just me if thick forest . Unfortunately , “ access” is there for those that want to

cross those elements in many cases ,

im to old for that now . The yoop is the worst for land Locked public access 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GB Jack

• mccuha

• co_setter

• gwponr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately I am seeing this too much.  With the sale and lease of many timber company lands, and people just getting more of a 'Everyone else can suck it' vibe in Northern MN and WI many people are

I am going to put a plug for Back Country Hunter and Anglers. These are the issues they are working to resolve. https://www.backcountryhunters.org/public_lands

They should use eminent domain to seize enough of the property for a small access road and give the landowner twice the acreage in land from the government property abutting his as compensation 

Posted Images

Here in Nebraska, the locals sometimes take down the CRP-Map signs.  They unscrew the nuts and bolts and leave the steel posts in the ground without the signs.  I entered a discussion with one “landowner” who told me he owned the ground I was on and had taken the ground out of the CRP-Map program.  When I showed him my GIS Esri map and ON-X map he decided I was an a hole and he didn’t want to talk to me anymore.  I knew the real owner and knew he hadn’t sold the property but we are pretty sure who took down the signs now.

Recently have seen public access closed off to US Fish and Wildlife land in AR by private landowners who own land on either side of a what had been a county maintained road.  Throw up a locked gate, and its closed.   However, for whatever reasons, e.g., lack of county maintenance funds, political pressure, etc., the county "abandoned" those roads, which turned them back to the original deed holder and/or landowner with land on both sides.  In most cases, there is simply no way to access the public land again.  In some cases that I'm aware of, protest to the county has been made to no avail.  In another case, I am aware of a road that was gated and locked that ran between FWS land and private land; however the survey markers left when the new owner of the private land bought it clearly show the road was on the FWS side of the survey line.  

This seems to be a problem everywhere.

Ugliest thing in hunting is theft of public land.  Applaud all who stand up to this kind of thing and demand accountability amongst public employees entrusted with safeguarding this most precious resource.   

2 hours ago, mccuha said:

I’ve done all I know to do.  My cousin is a game warden and he doesn’t agree with it either. He has voiced his opinion until his seniors told him to back down. The land owner has extremely deep pockets and is one of the largest land owners in sc. 

Have you spoken with your state legislators about this?

31 minutes ago, Two Barrels said:

Have you spoken with your state legislators about this?

No  I haven’t.  A good friend of mine. One of his good friends just got elected as a state congressman.  I’ll talk to him.  

Keep this a respectful discussion and It stays as an informative resource on a PUBLIC FORUM. Starts getting testy as it is beginning to (moderator instinct, and yes it is) and it gets locked or disappears. Never up to me.

boon hogganbeck

Seems like every year the space gets smaller. River access is even worse. We have to advocate for public land or else we’ll go the way of western Europe, where hunting/fishing is limited to the wealthy.  

Just returned from the Dakotas and noticed a posted sign on each gate post of a cattle guard implying the mid-section road was private. Two track crossed 1/2 mile private to Walkin. The next day when I drove by, the state had placed a sign at the gate reading the road was public. Thanks to SDGFP!

Regarding the WIA being landlocked I have found that it is likely not intentional.  In fact some of the DNR compass and Onx show a small line on how one is suppose to approach it, usually down a fence line or old farm road that is also the WIA owners land.  Also, my experience is that most WIA land owners are relatively close to the land and easily contacted to make sure you are parking and approaching it the correct way.  I agree it can be frustrating.  There is one WIA I hunted this year that is landlocked but can be only accessed by walking through a large WMA to the back side and then entering the WIA.  Onx really helps in those situations.  

1 hour ago, SARGENT said:

Regarding the WIA being landlocked I have found that it is likely not intentional.  In fact some of the DNR compass and Onx show a small line on how one is suppose to approach it, usually down a fence line or old farm road that is also the WIA owners land.  Also, my experience is that most WIA land owners are relatively close to the land and easily contacted to make sure you are parking and approaching it the correct way.  I agree it can be frustrating.  There is one WIA I hunted this year that is landlocked but can be only accessed by walking through a large WMA to the back side and then entering the WIA.  Onx really helps in those situations.  

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/walkin/enroll.html

A parcel enrolled in the MN WIA program must be accessible from a road, it is one of the main requirements...

18 hours ago, KCrowley said:

If you really want to start an argument west of the Missouri River, mention "corner hopping."

Sadly, so true.