Public access land blocked

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, GB Jack said:

Often times , they just “ do it” and worry about consequences later , however , I have run into this quite often , there is no “access” gautenteed to mfl , and some

giant parcels are grandfathered in by listing each bordering 40 in a different llc , etc. there was a huge case of it up by me , I think the guy owned some fishing tackle company or something . Ill

see if I can find the article  

ironically , ive hunted around here , even called the state. Last time I checked , according to onx, it has been pulled completely out of mfl access ? 

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/bipartisan-plan-would-improve-access-to-hidden-wisconsin-hunting-land-b99167800z1-237541471.html/

That is exactly what is happening in some of the areas I hunt.  I guess by law, I can access some of the land by river, but literally there is a road that runs right to the MFL land.  And a gate that blocks it about 2 miles back.  I need to push this particular parcel more.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GB Jack

• mccuha

• co_setter

• gwponr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately I am seeing this too much.  With the sale and lease of many timber company lands, and people just getting more of a 'Everyone else can suck it' vibe in Northern MN and WI many people are

I am going to put a plug for Back Country Hunter and Anglers. These are the issues they are working to resolve. https://www.backcountryhunters.org/public_lands

They should use eminent domain to seize enough of the property for a small access road and give the landowner twice the acreage in land from the government property abutting his as compensation 

Posted Images

I blame the government for owning locked up land.  It should be sold and the money used to buy accessible land.  Not going to happen but forcing a land owner to grant access across his land isn't going to happen either short of a dictatorial decree.

They should use eminent domain to seize enough of the property for a small access road and give the landowner twice the acreage in land from the government property abutting his as compensation 

IMO land locking of public land is by design and not an accident and is a disgrace 

This isn't just a hunting issue,  

After "A River Runs Through it" came out wealthy people from the coasts started buying up ranches in Montana which has always had stream access laws that allowed you to access streams as long as you were below the high water mark. These wealthy folks hired security to illegally chase people off the streams.  

California has always had beach access laws i.e. you can't own the beach and you can't block access. When I was a young surfer there was a secret inaccessible place called the ranch, the rancher blocked access to the surf spots and chased people out at gun point. you could hike in via the railroad easement only to be chased out. The place has since been developed into a housing community bought up by more well to do surfers who are now fighting the public access points to lock in they're own private spot. Lunada Bay is a spot in Rancho Palos Verdes by Los Angeles, since I was young the rich locals always chased people off by attacking us, busting out your car windows or throwing rocks at you from above. The local cops would do nothing about this for more than 30 years,  it wasn't until the last couple of years when they chased off a couple of off duty cops that things started to change and the Coastal Commission stepped in. While the last instance is more of a localism issue than blocking off roads it happens a lot in surfing locales. Think your going to fly over to Hawaii and paddle out at Bonzai Pipline and catch waves? The locals will quickly show you reality.

Look up Vinod Khosla, Vinod bought up a piece of property south of San Fransisco. The land has always had a beach access road maintained by the previous owner via donations from beach users. When he bought the property he knew he had to keep access to the beach but cut it off after acquiring the property. He has been sued by the state and coastal commission and ordered to open the beach yet he refuses to allow any consistent access. His attitude it that Californias law not allowing beach ownership is unconstitutional and says he will fight it all the way to the supreme court. 

2 hours ago, bobman said:

IMO land locking of public land is by design and not an accident and is a disgrace 

In many cases we are talking about trying to close a road that has been established for 60-80 years.  It is theft pure and simple and if it was prosecuted as such that would stop.

5 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

That is exactly what is happening in some of the areas I hunt.  I guess by law, I can access some of the land by river, but literally there is a road that runs right to the MFL land.  And a gate that blocks it about 2 miles back.  I need to push this particular parcel more.  

I simply have ZERO problem with private land owners , I am one , I DO have major issue with my tax dollars paying for crafty a hole landowners wi enroll in mfl and find creative ways to block access. It’s becoming more and more prevalent . Where pushed ,

they people finally pull it out of mfl . 

Out here in CO, some of the public land has access roads that pass through private property (in most cases this private property is federal land leased to a private citizen). There are usually signs indicating the land on each side is private. However, there have been folks that have tried to gate and post the road and the gate always ends up smashed and laying on the side of the road. 

There are always at least three sides to every story. Five years ago I had sole access to a full section of CRP owned by two brothers and their sister.  The sister and her husband opened their half of the property to walk in hunting.  I hated to lose that half section but I can understand the financial side of things but what I can’t stand are the a**hole hunters that use the ground and leave their garbage on the side of the road and in the field.  I filled a garbage sack picking up after these pieces of s**t a couple of weeks ago.  You complain about not having access or being able to hunt but members of our own group screw things up for us as much as others do.  I know there are others that police the property while they are hunting and pick up trash but the sure as hell don’t hunt in my area.  Water bottles, soda and beer cans, candy wrappers and shell boxes.  These chumps make all hunters look like slobs and then there are the ones that clean their pheasants and leave the remains in the driveway.  Talk about ammo to use against us and we do it to ourselves!

2 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

These chumps make all hunters look like slobs and then there are the ones that clean their pheasants and leave the remains in the driveway.  Talk about ammo to use against us and we do it to ourselves!

I have no idea what happened to the idea of leaving nothing but footprints, but it seems to have died off among certain parts of the hunting crowd.  

11 minutes ago, quailguy said:

I have no idea what happened to the idea of leaving nothing but footprints, but it seems to have died off among certain parts of the hunting crowd.  

It's not limited to the hunting crowd.  We get a lot of folks recreating in this area and it's seems there are slobs in every crowd; OHV, hikers, bikers, skiers, fishers, campers....  Nobody seems to care about anyone but themselves. 

12 hours ago, bobman said:

Yep slobs are disgusting however that’s a different issue than blocked public access 

Yes, it is a different issue, but some who try to close off public land do so because they "are tired of picking up all the trash" as an excuse to close off access.  

This subject hits close to home for me as I'm a land owner through which a road runs (my road) that provides access to a desirable hunting area (Delta Marsh in Manitoba).

Theoretically I could put up a gate where my property begins, about 3/4 mile from where access to the marsh is. Where the access is there a bridge over a small channel and once the bridge is crossed you are on an island. It's about another 1/2 mile to where the cabin is and the driveable part of the island extends another mile at least into the marsh.

If I put up a gate at the start of the property, that would make it more difficult for any hunters to get anywhere near where we hunt, because no motors are allowed in the marsh....paddles or oars only.  But that is just in the fall. That access point and especially the bridge are well used all summer by local kids, adults and families to fish from. I'll often drive out in the summer and find 2-6 people fishing from the bridge. Aside from the anger shutting off access would provoke, we believe making things easy for the locals encourages them to think benevolently about us. Like we are almost part of that community. And thus gain some protection by not being "outsiders".

Our solution is to gate the island side of the bridge, allowing full access across our land up to the marsh. And keeping private the part that we actually use. In 20 years we've never had a problem with garbage or willful damage to our property. That's a whole generation of teenagers. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

This problem is pervasive where there is significant public lands. There are three approaches...

1. ) Cowboy gate key

big-heavy-duty-bolt-cutters-picture-id492362223.thumb.jpg.c4e81c4e729c93ca118507df64c501d4.jpg

2.) Go somewhere else and hope for access.

3.) The road to public lands surely offers access to some state or federal agency responsible for management of the land, perhaps yo can talk to the agency and get access. Or, if the road is maintained by a public agency you have legal standing as a member of the public to contest closure.