Public access land blocked

On 12/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, Quig said:

A guy needs to bring a extra lock and chain to the gates in question. Now nobody goes in or out for a while.

On a couple of occasions I have had an easy time just removing the gate hinges, opening the gate from the other side and putting the hinges back on the gate post.

I friend of mine has a number of brass combination locks bearing a stamp... "US Government Property". Cut a link, enter, then slap on of these on the chain... creative access solution.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GB Jack

• mccuha

• co_setter

• gwponr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately I am seeing this too much.  With the sale and lease of many timber company lands, and people just getting more of a 'Everyone else can suck it' vibe in Northern MN and WI many people are

I am going to put a plug for Back Country Hunter and Anglers. These are the issues they are working to resolve. https://www.backcountryhunters.org/public_lands

They should use eminent domain to seize enough of the property for a small access road and give the landowner twice the acreage in land from the government property abutting his as compensation 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chukarman said:

This problem is pervasive where there is significant public lands. There are three approaches...

1. ) Cowboy gate key

big-heavy-duty-bolt-cutters-picture-id492362223.thumb.jpg.c4e81c4e729c93ca118507df64c501d4.jpg

2.) Go somewhere else and hope for access.

3.) The road to public lands surely offers access to some state or federal agency responsible for management of the land, perhaps yo can talk to the agency and get access. Or, if the road is maintained by a public agency you have legal standing as a member of the public to contest closure.

doesn't everyone carry a cowboy gate key in they're truck

On 12/8/2020 at 2:44 PM, uplandnut30 said:

The last few weeks I’ve been bumming around the country side for pheasant. I head from one walk in access spot to the next.  I’ve encountered a few walk in access spots where the roads are gated off with no trespassing signs before the WIA area starts.  I’ve checked google earth and see no alternative road.  There is no private drive sign and these roads have the standard green road signs designating a road.  I know I’ve got the correct spots, in one spot I can actually see the neon green WIA sign in the distance.  I also confirmed they were active WIA areas.

I called the DNR to ask what gives and all I got was a “we will check into it.”  Anyone ever ran into something like this?  

Yes around my place in the UP it's pretty common for some land owners to increase their own "personal hunting grounds" 

by use of illegal gates, posting Private, no trespassing signs and even erecting gates or steel posts with chains and locks blocking access on state or CRF lands

(commercial forest recreational)  lands. Another much used technique is digging a deep steep hole Front Loader or Bobcat ) and mounding the removed soil in a long wide pile directly behind the trench. Done deep and steep enough it will keep out four wheelers. If you want to see it stop the best thing you can do is get video of people making or using (locking or unlocking gates or chains) and presenting copies to DNR or other law enforcement. That can get a real response.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 7:30 PM, Spin said:

Yes around my place in the UP it's pretty common for some land owners to increase their own "personal hunting grounds" 

by use of illegal gates, posting Private, no trespassing signs and even erecting gates or steel posts with chains and locks blocking access on state or CRF lands

(commercial forest recreational)  lands. Another much used technique is digging a deep steep hole Front Loader or Bobcat ) and mounding the removed soil in a long wide pile directly behind the trench. Done deep and steep enough it will keep out four wheelers. If you want to see it stop the best thing you can do is get video of people making or using (locking or unlocking gates or chains) and presenting copies to DNR or other law enforcement. That can get a real response.

I’ve been told by foresters , Ans lawmakers , that in regards to Michigan, it is not illegal to gate access to your private land , even if cfl or public access land is behind it. Hence, nothing illegal about doing that. I’ve lost so many good spots in the yoop due to this ruling . 

Skybuster

Jack, with respect to private land in MFL or similar where tax breaks are awarded in WI you can gate your property but must allow hunting access on foot. I took my complaint to the county DNR office, plat book in hand when in one case the MFL land (a 40 acre parcel) was gated and posted no trespassing. The ranger behind the counter advised that the parcel in question belonged to his father! He obviously agreed I had the right to hunt there, and some time later the "no trespassing" sign was replaced with "private property."

9 hours ago, Skybuster said:

Jack, with respect to private land in MFL or similar where tax breaks are awarded in WI you can gate your property but must allow hunting access on foot. I took my complaint to the county DNR office, plat book in hand when in one case the MFL land (a 40 acre parcel) was gated and posted no trespassing. The ranger behind the counter advised that the parcel in question belonged to his father! He obviously agreed I had the right to hunt there, and some time later the "no trespassing" sign was replaced with "private property."

Yup, I know , great story!!!! but michigan is different , odd , one may say .