Jump to content

The Last Ride of my 68th Year - a quick loop past Devil's Tower


Recommended Posts

Another really odd day, 68F in Spearfish when I left home.  
70F just west of Belle Fourche.  
52F on the ridge between Devils tower and Sundance WY.  
The NW wind came up on my way home on I-90.

A great way to round out my 68th year!


29386234001_relive-tracker_1607461442732

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, munsterlander said:

What bike do your ride?  Envious of your weather!

2080904261_HomeatSunset20201104_162229-XL.thumb.jpg.2dd1489c9e0b1962c33f49110e65a554.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith - Devil's Tower is different every time I view it.  Certainly a treat to live so close. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the GS new? For some reason I was thinking you rode a metric cruiser?

 

Last time I rode that route (stayed with friends between Spearfish and Belle Fouche) my shifter arm rattled off somewhere between the Tower & Heulett (not on their famous Wednesday either) but I was able to limp it back using a ViceGrip as a shifter to the sturgis area where, for some reason, there were plenty of vendors around that carried parts.

 

I remember at the Tower they had herds of hairy hippopotumuses (hippopotami?) waddling around - the park ranger swore they were prairie dogs, but there's no way they could ever get that big & fat!

Link to post
Share on other sites
munsterlander
2 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

2080904261_HomeatSunset20201104_162229-XL.thumb.jpg.2dd1489c9e0b1962c33f49110e65a554.jpg

Nice!  I have one of those too!  Sure are a great all-around bike.  But mine is neglected this time of year... well not entirely... I have wet gloves hanging on mirrors in the garage right now from yesterday's duck hunt! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lurch said:

Is the GS new? For some reason I was thinking you rode a metric cruiser?

 

Last time I rode that route (stayed with friends between Spearfish and Belle Fouche) my shifter arm rattled off somewhere between the Tower & Heulett (not on their famous Wednesday either) but I was able to limp it back using a ViceGrip as a shifter to the sturgis area where, for some reason, there were plenty of vendors around that carried parts.

 

I remember at the Tower they had herds of hairy hippopotumuses (hippopotami?) waddling around - the park ranger swore they were prairie dogs, but there's no way they could ever get that big & fat!

I went from a Yamaha Road Star Warrior all kitted out for Touring, I put 28,000 miles on it riding around the country but having to stop every 120 miles for fuel (3.5 Gallon Tank)

 

807944095_04YamahaRoadstarWarrior.thumb.jpg.ac4855d0b3317360d9e34259ce2a6a8a.jpg

 

To a '13 Yamaha FJR1300 "Sport Touring" Bike (160 hp and a 6.5 gallon tank)

20140306_163007_zpsppexsibc.thumb.jpg.1a925e1cbcaa11d48cd1da8809c6c1fb.jpg

 

That I put 65,000 miles on between March 2014 and November 2018.  During that time I purchased a 09 Kawasaki KLR650 for riding the gravel and dirt roads I became more interested in. 

 

I rode the KLR to Alaska and the Northwest Territories up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik in 2017 and down the Baja peninsula in early 2018 putting 28,000 miles on it.

 

20170617_180305_001-L.jpg

 

In the fall of 2018 I rode the FJR to Florida to work at the Daytona Biketoberfest.  On the way home I stopped at a friends in Missouri and made the fatal mistake of riding his BMW GS and new I had to have one. (Kind of like shooting someone else's shotgun at the sporting clays range). 

 

For the next two days riding back home to Spearfish all i could think of was how i was going to convince SWMBO that I needed to buy a BMW.

 

Long story short - the FJR and the KLR went down the road to new owners and I picked up a barely used '14 BMW GS Adventure with 12,000 miles on it.

20180928_112728-L.jpg

 

Since following me home in December 2018 I have put 38,500 miles on "Freya".  We've been to Florida, to the Arctic Ocean, and many points in between.

 

If the border with Canada opens next spring I intend to go to Dawson City YT in June for the annual "Dust to Dawson" event, followed by the national BMW Owners Association Rally a week later in Great Falls MT. 

 

Then if all goes well my Mate from Australia will join me in August for a ride to the Canadian Maritime Provinces via the Trans Labrador Highway, down through New England and the mid-Atlantic.  We will likely then head to an event in Alabama the last week in October before heading back to Spearfish.  

 

There is also an event in Alabama in late October which we are interested in attending as well.  It is a good three day ride from Spearfish to Jemison AL, we will just have to see how it all shakes out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bigjohnsd said:

I went from a Yamaha Road Star Warrior all kitted out for Touring, I put 28,000 miles on it riding around the country but having to stop every 120 miles for fuel (3.5 Gallon Tank)  To a '13 Yamaha FJR1300 "Sport Touring" Bike (160 hp and a 6.5 gallon tank)

In the fall of 2018 I rode the FJR to Florida to work at the Daytona Biketoberfest.  On the way home I stopped at a friends in Missouri and made the fatal mistake of riding his BMW GS and new I had to have one. (Kind of like shooting someone else's shotgun at the sporting clays range). 

 

 

That's kinda what I was remembering. You were talking about riding out to Hoosierland for some circle track racing, as I recall.

 

I went down a similar road,  rode HD to sturgis but one guy in our group (80 yr old pastor) was on a BMW crotch rocket. We could hardly keep him in sight. At TrailerWeek, we convinced him to do the HD demo ride, but on the condition that we all did the BMW one with him. I wanted a crotch rocket or touring bike but was the last in line and got stuck on either a GS or their James Bond-movie ugly cruiser, so I grabbed the GS.  It was a 20 mile ride one direction (i was stuck in the super-slow cruiser group, so took the GS thru the ditches alongside the road beside them) then they stopped for water and did a demo, on my GS, of the ABS doing panic stops in the gravel and then actually doing a panic stop over a aluminum ladder in the gravel. I was impressed! On the 20 mile trip back, I hopped in with the crotch rocket group and kept right up with them on the GS. VERY IMPRESSED! Ended up buying a K1200LTC a year later because of that demo...

Would still love to have a GS or KLR in the garage though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

 

That's kinda what I was remembering. You were talking about riding out to Hoosierland for some circle track racing, as I recall.

 

I went down a similar road,  rode HD to sturgis but one guy in our group (80 yr old pastor) was on a BMW crotch rocket. We could hardly keep him in sight. At TrailerWeek, we convinced him to do the HD demo ride, but on the condition that we all did the BMW one with him. I wanted a crotch rocket or touring bike but was the last in line and got stuck on either a GS or their James Bond-movie ugly cruiser, so I grabbed the GS.  It was a 20 mile ride one direction (i was stuck in the super-slow cruiser group, so took the GS thru the ditches alongside the road beside them) then they stopped for water and did a demo, on my GS, of the ABS doing panic stops in the gravel and then actually doing a panic stop over a aluminum ladder in the gravel. I was impressed! On the 20 mile trip back, I hopped in with the crotch rocket group and kept right up with them on the GS. VERY IMPRESSED! Ended up buying a K1200LTC a year later because of that demo...

Would still love to have a GS or KLR in the garage though!

I tell people "If you don't want to buy a GS don't test ride one"  I really love mine, at 69 it will likely be my last motorcycle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
mister grouse

The map route thingy is very neat.  I assume that the S D landscape is not quite that green this time of year?  Or maybe it is with 70 degrees in December ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

The map route thingy is very neat.  I assume that the S D landscape is not quite that green this time of year?  Or maybe it is with 70 degrees in December ?

Pretty brown right now.  We are dry and need some moisture,  

Link to post
Share on other sites
munsterlander
8 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

I tell people "If you don't want to buy a GS don't test ride one"  I really love mine, at 69 it will likely be my last motorcycle.  

Mine's a 2014 GS Adventure, like yours!  Close to 40k miles on it, and feel no need to look at something else.  Although I do have a KTM dual sport in the garage too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, munsterlander said:

Mine's a 2014 GS Adventure, like yours!  Close to 40k miles on it, and feel no need to look at something else.  Although I do have a KTM dual sport in the garage too.

I wish I'd started riding off road twenty years ago.  I'm too old for the gnarly stuff now, takes to long to heal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...