Dardevle by Eppinger.

I've caught a lot of fish on a Daredevil. Great for bass, perch and pickerel. The red and white and yellow with red diamonds were my favorites. I remember as a kid in the 60's being able to buy one for $.65. It was a lot but worth it.

When I think of the Dardevle, I think of a fishing companion a half century ago who fished one in the N. Ga. mountains one trip.  He hung it in streamside rhododendron bush on an overhanging limb.  He hand over hand pulled the mono line stretching it like a rubberband in an effort to free it.  Then the devil said, "watch this" and released from the limb, skipped once on the pool, and whacked him in the chin burying two of the trebles deep into his chin. We took him to the nearest emergency room to have it removed.  He was a good sport about it.  Gil

About a zillion years ago, I used to cast Dardevles for pike all the time and never got a one. It must have been me, because I know they work well for others.

I did catch a Dardevle once though - swinging a wet fly for steelhead several autumns ago I hooked into a large coil of old monofilament. Pulling it in, I found a red and white single-hook Dardevle tied to the end. It's still in one of my flyboxes.

1 hour ago, fishvik said:

I've caught a lot of fish on a Daredevil. Great for bass, perch and pickerel. The red and white and yellow with red diamonds were my favorites. I remember as a kid in the 60's being able to buy one for $.65. It was a lot but worth it.

Same color patterns I favor, always a favorite for pike. 

I've used the Red and white a long with the 5 of Diamonds-The Lure of the North in Canada with a lot of success.

Dave in Maine

I never really did well with Daredevles.  I have done well with other spoons - I found a manufacturer who sells direct to the public and their spoons work great.

The Daredevels are my go to lure when using a 3-way swivel rigged with a 8-16 oz sinker on a dropper line(16-18 in) with the spoon connected to a 30-40 in leader especially when working deep cold water for Pike or Muskie and Walleyes. It really is my go to when water temps are 50 degrees or less.

Very short video on the 3-way swivel rig all lengths and poundage and lures are negotiable 

Hal

6 hours ago, fishvik said:

We had a year up on a lake in Canada where the pike wanted the smaller 2/5 oz. green/yellow Daredeveles.  If you went up in size, or to a different color, you'd still catch them, but nearly as many...an it was true everywhere we went on that lake...as far as 10-15 miles.

You'd get one every coupe hundred yards, if not more often...is was a heck of a fun week!  The smallest pike we got from that lake was 22".

The best thing about a Daredevil is you can catch over 25 pike on them and they are not destroyed.  Scratched up yes but still work great.  Can't say that about many other baits.  A Mepps with squirrel tail dressing is naked by then. A Rapala isn't fit for kindling.  

Pinch the barbs down and all you have to do is grab the hook with pliers, give a shake, the pike goes on its way and you're ready make another heave looking for the next fish.  

I caught a boat load of fish and them some with Daredevils the small yellow and red ones worked great on trout and a weed less Daredevil with a pork rind was deadly on bass

Dave in Maine
19 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

The best thing about a Daredevil is you can catch over 25 pike on them and they are not destroyed.  Scratched up yes but still work great.  Can't say that about many other baits.  A Mepps with squirrel tail dressing is naked by then. A Rapala isn't fit for kindling.  

Pinch the barbs down and all you have to do is grab the hook with pliers, give a shake, the pike goes on its way and you're ready make another heave looking for the next fish.  

True, but there's a nice shadow-box waiting for the Rapala that's been demolished by pike, and for the Mepps that has no more squirrel tail left.

Agree 1000% on going barbless when fishing for pike.

Also, used to go to a lake in Canada where supplying fish for the weekly fish dinner was key.  Found that dropshotting a firetiger Mepps off a particular cliffside and waiting and waiting and waiting for it to get 20 or so feet down usually yielded pan-ready walleyes after two or three turns of the crank.  We'd start the morning there.  Given the limits on that lake, by the time we'd finished our first beer we had only a 5 minute zip back to the dock between catching and delivering the walleye to the chef.

The 2 popular pike spoons here were R & W DD and a silver red eye. Of the two I caught far more pike on the silver red eye but then white bass were a primary food source so it kind of figures.