Replacement battery Garmin Alpha 100

Took the dog out for a run this A.M. and the battery was dead. My unit is three years old, so I suppose it's time for a new battery. What does everyone find to be the battery life for the Alpha 100? Was looking for a replacement battery locally, but that doesn't seem likely: Runnings carry the Alpha but clerk didn't seem to know what he had for batteries, I'll have to stop by the store, Looked on the Scheels website but they don't reference the Alpha. I will have to call them when they open in an hour.

Does anyone buy a secondary market battery for the Alpha, from Batteries Plus, or other "battery stores"?

I got 2 batts, but my original is still working going on 7 years. Think I got mine from Gun Dog Supply. 

2 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

Took the dog out for a run this A.M. and the battery was dead. My unit is three years old, so I suppose it's time for a new battery. What does everyone find to be the battery life for the Alpha 100? Was looking for a replacement battery locally, but that doesn't seem likely: Runnings carry the Alpha but clerk didn't seem to know what he had for batteries, I'll have to stop by the store, Looked on the Scheels website but they don't reference the Alpha. I will have to call them when they open in an hour.

Does anyone buy a secondary market battery for the Alpha, from Batteries Plus, or other "battery stores"?

I have Battery Plus  replace all my batteries I had go dead in my collars and in one training handheld.  They do a good job.  That's the local store here any way.  They can buy the battery if they don't have it in stock. My trainer was an older model and he build a new battery for it.

Yeah, called scheels...nope, trouble restocking. Stopped by running...they sell dogsta...no wonder why the clerk was unsure if they had the right battery.

Dogrunner, if your battery is seven years old, guess I'll just charge the battery, and take my chances tomorrow, though I'll buy a replacement as a backup...probably buy both the handheld and collar batteries.

2 hours ago, Rogue Hunter said:

Yeah, called scheels...nope, trouble restocking. Stopped by running...they sell dogsta...no wonder why the clerk was unsure if they had the right battery.

Dogrunner, if your battery is seven years old, guess I'll just charge the battery, and take my chances tomorrow, though I'll buy a replacement as a backup...probably buy both the handheld and collar batteries.

My original one will last all day. But I buy all my stuff for my Alpha from Gun Dog supply, good service. I have broke a few connectors, plastic plugs that hook to the collar for charging so I just ordered a few things from them. 

I’m like dog runner. I’m still using my first battery that’s probably as old as his. I also keep a backup charged. I use my unit everyday.

I suspect you might have forgotten to turn off the handheld last time you used it.  Mine goes on the charger every night during hunting season.

Garmin will sell you another battery, but you can also find them on Amazon.  Just get the numbers off the battery and it's pretty easy to find a replacement.  Most come in two packs and a lot of them include a stand alone charger.

The original battery should have a long service life--years.  But a spare is always good in case you forget to charge the thing.  I always have a spare with me, and try to rotate them, but I've had them sit in my vest for months and every time I've popped the spare in the unit it's held 100% charge.  Lithium-ion batteries are wonderful.

I suppose one advantage of the Astro 320 is it will operate fine on AA's.  I keep a pair in the charger and swap out before each hunt.  Despite relying on the rechargeable AA's, I carry a pair of regular Duracel AA's just in case.  Gil

On 12/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, Cooter Brown said:

I suspect you might have forgotten to turn off the handheld last time you used it.

I have to confess that may, in fact, be the case with mine. Charged it last night and ran the dog with it for 3-4 hours today, when I put it back on the charger this P.M., the handheld was at 85%. So it looks as though I forgot to turn it off AND didn't put it back on the charger before using it the next day.

16 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

I have to confess that may, in fact, be the case with mine. Charged it last night and ran the dog with it for 3-4 hours today, when I put it back on the charger this P.M., the handheld was at 85%. So it looks as though I forgot to turn it off AND didn't put it back on the charger before using it the next day.

A spare is great peace of mind.  They're pretty inexpensive, and the charge lasts for a long time with a Li-ion battery stored unused, say in your vest.  I've only had to use mine once, when I forgot to charge the handheld when I was on a trip to the UP, and was glad I had it.

43 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

That sounds about right especially if you didn’t look at it much. 

• 2 months later...