Jump to content

alpha 100 confusion


Recommended Posts

My hunting partner has an Alpha.  His problem with it mainly is that it is confused.  The handheld will say the dog is , let's say south but really the dog is north.  180 degrees wrong.  Do any of you have or had the problem with this and if so how do you correct it.  This has been going on for about 4 years.  He'll reset it and it will still do it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter

Mine did that about a year ago.  I called Garmin and they walked me through the “reset” process.  Has been fine ever since.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, molliesmaster said:

Is this at any distance or only when the dog is really close? 

no matter the distance

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Mine did that about a year ago.  I called Garmin and they walked me through the “reset” process.  Has been fine ever since.


Yes, he did the same thing multiple times.  He now resets it every time he goes to hunt.   If it were mine i'd have already thrown it to the side and bought a new one or something else. He's a tight wad and is always on the cheap.  Heck he has about 6000 points at cabelas he could get a complete new set up for free but he doesn't want to waste the points.    I saw somewhere on a different topic  that some kind of magnet was causing problems with one.  I don't think he has any magnets on his vest.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Trade it in to Collar Clinic in Traverse City, MI towards a new Alpha 200.

he's actually leaning toward a 550 if he can get it at cabelas.  The only problem with the 550 he doesn't like is it only has the capability to carry 3 dogs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mccuha said:

Do any of you have or had the problem with this and if so how do you correct it.  This has been going on for about 4 years.  He'll reset it and it will still do it.  

What do you mean by reset?  Just a power cycle?   Mine does the same thing as his once in awhile.  Recalibrate the compass.  Going from memory, it’s an option once you press the three bar icon at the bottom edge of the screen.   It just takes a minute.  Follow the on screen instructions. I do it in the field whenever the needle isn’t pointing in quite the right directions.  Has always taken care of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KenB said:

What do you mean by reset?  Just a power cycle?   Mine does the same thing as his once in awhile.  Recalibrate the compass.  Going from memory, it’s an option once you press the three bar icon at the bottom edge of the screen.   It just takes a minute.  Follow the on screen instructions. I do it in the field whenever the needle isn’t pointing in quite the right directions.  Has always taken care of it. 

As far as I know it's not been abused.   He recalibrates the compass daily and does some type of reset the Garmin people told him to do.  The problem is you never know when its going to start screwing up.  It could be working fine all day then you get a point indication and start heading that way. All of a sudden youre getting farther away .  It irritates the crap out of me and I know it makes him angry.    I posed this question thinking it could be something externally causing this problem.  The unit might or probably is just screwed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The unit itself may just be screwed up, but here are some other thoughts as someone who has used an Alpha since they first hit the market.

 

Hold the unit level and way out away from your body (or any other object). They definitely get interference from  "stuff" and work best level and held well out in front of you.

 

Get in the habit of looking at the distance to the dog and pay less attention to the arrow. Even with a perfectly working unit as you walk and turn the arrow will spin. The distance to the dog stays accurate and if you see the distance increasing, you know you are going the wrong way. Go the direction the distance gets smaller....

 

Buy one of the Garmin watches and link it to the Alpha and use the arrow on the watch instead of the Alpha. Costs money, but less than a new Alpha. A lot of guys prefer the watch even if their Alpha is working perfectly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockford Setters

While hunting yesterday, it took a while before one of my collars would sync in but eventually it did.  Then when I was trying to give a correction it would not get a signal at the collar.  I gave a correction with my other collar on my other setter later in the day and it worked perfectly.  Both collars were fully charged prior to the hunt.  I'm going to try them again today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine usually works fine, I normally don't have to calibrate the compass that often. But this year I updated everything before the season and lets just say its the worst its ever worked since I had it.  I think there update was not very good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, mccuha said:

My hunting partner has an Alpha.  His problem with it mainly is that it is confused.  The handheld will say the dog is , let's say south but really the dog is north.  180 degrees wrong.  Do any of you have or had the problem with this and if so how do you correct it.  This has been going on for about 4 years.  He'll reset it and it will still do it.  

For the alpha to be 180 degrees off and having to repeatedly calibrate the compass I would think there would have to be some type of magnetic interference. Some vests use magnets for pocket enclosures or possibly some other device one might carry. 

 

cr

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...