alpha 100 confusion

On 12/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, mccuha said:

My hunting partner has an Alpha.  His problem with it mainly is that it is confused.  The handheld will say the dog is , let's say south but really the dog is north.  180 degrees wrong.  Do any of you have or had the problem with this and if so how do you correct it.  This has been going on for about 4 years.  He'll reset it and it will still do it.  

Is he using the map or compass screen? Could you post a picture when the Alpha is not showing the correct dog position?

There are a couple of other things that might help.... Updating both the collar and transmitter. Another is a Master reset of the transmitter but that will return the unit to all default setting as well as clearing any saved tracks, waypoints and dog collars. 

Does he carry a cell phone? if so maybe try leaving it in the car or let you carry it and see if it affects how it works

most troubleshooting is just a step by step process of elimination 

I just ordered a 550 plus my alpha works fine but I just don’t use it often enough to not get lost in all its options

If the 550 works as I expect the alpha will be going away

The unit has all the resets , updates and so on that can be done on it and the collars. He has two brand new collars and it messes up with them to. Unless there is some kind of magnetic interference I just believe the unit is screwed up.  All he uses is the compass to see where the dogs are and where they are on point. 

As as far as the 550 Bobman , he looked at one of them but didn’t like the option not being able to see where each dog was at one time.  A friend has one and I’m going to check it out.  I might like one of them.  I’m an Astro guy right now. 

Anytime I've had weird issues as far as direction/distance with the Alpha turning it off and then back on has corrected things.

Garmin hardware has been pretty solid for me--the software is sometimes kludgy, but I still update regularly, mostly because satellites can change.  I think it's important to update the collars and handheld at the same time.

And within 30-40 yards don't believe the thing...

• 5 weeks later...

My friend that has an alpha 100. That was the reason for this post. He ended up buying a new unit. It still will show the dog 180degrees off from where it really is. He tried to hang the unit pointing down like I do on my vest with my Astro. When he does that it will cause the unit to be off 180. Do you that are alpha owners have this problem letting it dangle down off it’s lanyard. 

• 2 weeks later...
Cooter Brown
On 1/10/2021 at 6:56 PM, mccuha said:

My friend that has an alpha 100. That was the reason for this post. He ended up buying a new unit. It still will show the dog 180degrees off from where it really is. He tried to hang the unit pointing down like I do on my vest with my Astro. When he does that it will cause the unit to be off 180. Do you that are alpha owners have this problem letting it dangle down off it’s lanyard. 

If the new unit is having the same malfunction as the first it's probably not the unit.

If I understand the second part of your post, for the unit to read accurately you need to hold it level.  That was my experience with the Astro as well.

43 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

If the new unit is having the same malfunction as the first it's probably not the unit.

If I understand the second part of your post, for the unit to read accurately you need to hold it level.  That was my experience with the Astro as well.

Yes. As well as I can remember. He holds it level to read it and it will read backwards 180 degrees. The new one has done the same thing but not as often. He has had it get confused if he lets it dangle down hanging off a lanyard. He clips it mainly to his vest where the antenna is facing straight up and the screen is facing away from him.   He has new collars. He thought it might be the old collars causing the problems.     Due to this problem I’m sticking with my Astro. I’ve never had a problem with it. 

• 3 weeks later...

My alpha works well but I keep getting on the wrong screen 

I need to use it more often

my new 550 plus points about 15 degrees off any ideas for that

Im going to hunt down Cooter and get a operator training session lol