Chowda Cracka's

What are you New Englanders using for clam chowder crackers? When I was a kid in VT & MA Nabisco had Crown Pilot crackers. Sucks they discontinued making them. We ate them in chowder and plain with butter. 

I can get Pilot bread in the bulk bins here but it's not at all the same.

Help me out....thanks!

Mike da Carpenter

Can’t help you with the crackers, but. We are still enjoying that brown bread in a can you introduced the boys and I too.

I'm very biased... 

and, even though I currently live in UT, mom was a Rhode Island girl.

Grandma always fixed us "sea food dinner"  which consisted of Rhode Island clam chowder, stuffers, and clam cakes.

No crackers or bread or any such is needed for " real clam chowder"  you dip your clam cakes and soak pieces of suffer.

For the uninitiated, RI clam chowder is not a white creamy chowder, like New England chowder, nor does it have chunks of tomato like Manhattan chowder.  It is amazing, and brings back lots of good memories and makes my mouth water even now as I type.

So, to answer the question: clam cakes and stuffers were made to dip in clam chowder....probably would even work with the white stuff.

1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Can’t help you with the crackers, but. We are still enjoying that brown bread in a can you introduced the boys and I too.

Good stuff! I grew up eating hardy New England food. Glad you can find it Mike :D

When I was a kid my mother used to buy the Bent Pilot Crackers for her chowders, and she was a whiz bang chowda maker...they were the "original" original evidently...She got them at Bent's Broken Cookie Factory.

I think they are still made in Milton, Ma.  They should be similar to the Crown Pilot ones you are looking for......See link below

https://www.edibleboston.com/blog/pilots-commons-warnings-hardtacks

Now, I mostly use Westminster Bakery Oyster Crackers in my chowder, or any other oyster cracker because I can find them in Hannies or Shaw's. Oyster crackers are pretty much the same as pilot crackers but they are just a smaller variety. Like Herseys Kiss size. I try to find the bag of the little individual bags if I can, because if you buy a large box they tend to get stale after a while, unless you are feeding an army.

I put them in Chili too.... https://www.westminstercrackers.com/where-to-buy

I don’t eat seafood other than fried clams, but my wife makes fish chowder for herself and our daughter once in a while (usually when I’m out of town). She swears by Nabisco oyster crackers. 

I want to know more about this.  Any cracker that can make one of those big-ass nasty clams with the weird green slime taste good has GOT to be one hell of a cracker.

19 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I want to know more about this.  Any cracker that can make one of those big-ass nasty clams with the weird green slime taste good has GOT to be one hell of a cracker.

Now this is a dangerous path you are trodding Cooter, a Georgia guy talking about "crackers"!🤘

17 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Now this is a dangerous path you are trodding Cooter, a Georgia guy talking about "crackers"!🤘

Crackers are from Florida not Georgia IIRC....

2 hours ago, Spiller said:

Crackers are from Florida not Georgia IIRC....

'Pon my word, someone else wants to debate the origin and provenance of the hoary old epithet "Georgia cracker". In the latter part of the 19th century Georgian cattle drovers (ha! NOT cowboys!) used to drive their charges to the flatlands of Fla. to graze. The drives were punctuated by the crack of their long bullwhips, hence the term "crackers" was coined by the local Floridians...not to be confused with the potbellied Quebecois in their Speedos...who came later

I suspect dem "Florida Crackers" was around well before dem "Georgia Crackers".  19th century? Surely you jest....

The cattle were in Florida and the Floridian Cracker's cracked dem whips long before the Georgia Boys...

Besides Florida was WAY more of an outback than Georgia was in pre Revolutionary War times, i.e 18th Century..... 

Are you gonna tell me a "Herrin'choker" is from Quebec? Jus' because it is an adjacent area to New Brunswick?  I think not Mr Hong.....

22 minutes ago, Spiller said:

I suspect dem "Florida Crackers" was around well before dem "Georgia Crackers".  19th century? Surely you jest....

The cattle were in Florida and the Floridian Cracker's cracked dem whips long before the Georgia Boys...

Besides Florida was WAY more of an outback than Georgia was in pre Revolutionary War times, i.e 18th Century..... 

Are you gonna tell me a "Herrin'choker" is from Quebec? Jus' because it is an adjacent area to New Brunswick?  I think not Mr Hong.....

Wikipedia is my guide and saviour. Amen.

December 1975 went to visit friends in NY I had been stationed with in Fairbanks AK, they introduced me to cherry stone clams. Ate them on the half shell and that was the begining of my love of oysters on the half shell.

Now back to the subject at hand, I like both New England and Manhaton clam chowder, does any one make RI clam chowder frozen or in a can?