Deer season and the maturation of a kid

It's kinda interesting when and how certain things hit you and this post isn't about a trophy kill or a kill at all; its about sitting alone and reflecting back on the maturation of a young 15 year old kid and how I believe the hunting experience has helped shaped the kid; this really came to light during deer season this year. As I've shared my experiences with Parker in previous post, this morning I find myself having one of those nostalgic moments and felt compelled to write something, maybe I'll print it and tuck it way so that he discovers it later in life. 

I've had Parker in the woods since he was 7-8 years old; tugging along in oversized boots and clothes, sitting quietly waiting for a big ol' Tom to come in, eating Pop Tarts before starting our walk in, never complaining about the cold or a long walk out, falling asleep in the stand with his head on my shoulder, taking his first buck with rifle and muzzleloader, being excited about dragging a deer up a ridge and then telling me when we got to the truck "dad, we are just gonna pick his ass up and throw him in the bed of the truck";  and now, in my opinion really knowing and understanding what the experience is all about. This year he let several nice bucks walk by to grow bigger for next year, commented on how a couple others just "assed around" in front of him and he had no interest in killing one, recognized when he didn't have what he felt was a good shot, and most importantly to me; being able to see the quietness in the woods and hearing the sunrise and sunset.  

Yes, the woods still have a lot to teach him and me for that matter, and I hope he continues to find enjoyment every time he sets foot down an old logging road or busting brush just to see what is on the other side. 

WI Outdoor Nut

Doing the same with a 15 year old and 11 yo.  The time is going fast building the memories in the woods with these two rug rats for sure!  Enjoyed your post.  

Upland_Hunter
9 hours ago, SODAKer said:

It's kinda interesting when and how certain things hit you and this post isn't about a trophy kill or a kill at all; its about sitting alone and reflecting back on the maturation of a young 15 year old kid and how I believe the hunting experience has helped shaped the kid; this really came to light during deer season this year. As I've shared my experiences with Parker in previous post, this morning I find myself having one of those nostalgic moments and felt compelled to write something, maybe I'll print it and tuck it way so that he discovers it later in life. 

I've had Parker in the woods since he was 7-8 years old; tugging along in oversized boots and clothes, sitting quietly waiting for a big ol' Tom to come in, eating Pop Tarts before starting our walk in, never complaining about the cold or a long walk out, falling asleep in the stand with his head on my shoulder, taking his first buck with rifle and muzzleloader, being excited about dragging a deer up a ridge and then telling me when we got to the truck "dad, we are just gonna pick his ass up and throw him in the bed of the truck";  and now, in my opinion really knowing and understanding what the experience is all about. This year he let several nice bucks walk by to grow bigger for next year, commented on how a couple others just "assed around" in front of him and he had no interest in killing one, recognized when he didn't have what he felt was a good shot, and most importantly to me; being able to see the quietness in the woods and hearing the sunrise and sunset.  

Yes, the woods still have a lot to teach him and me for that matter, and I hope he continues to find enjoyment every time he sets foot down an old logging road or busting brush just to see what is on the other side. 

Great story!!

I couldn't have said it better. Time spent hunting is likely the biggest bond my oldest boy and I have together. Its been a hell of a time watching him grow as a boy and figure things out. 

Good kid. Good job. His hunting sensibilities and what to shoot are not only shaped by a very good dad but where he hunts. If in Maine a good share of those smaller deer/bucks would have had ‘their asses thrown into the bed of the pickup.’ 🤔😌

Nothing like seeing the emotional growth and maturity come together, piece by piece, in someone you love, especially when you’re able to be a part of it first hand, as is the case with raising a little one to appreciate and enjoy the outdoors. 
The memories soon become treasures, and as I suspect many here can confirm, the chance to go through it all again with a grandchild, because you know the joy to behold and how fleeting the moments are, becomes the greatest blessing of all.