Fat Lady has Sung...

5C7C14A2-FA8B-47A7-955A-429EDBD6DD8D.jpeg

Recap time....Yesterday at 4:24pm marked the end of all Maine deer seasons; Expanded Bow and Muzzleloader. I was dutifully sitting out at my “Pond Stand” area with my muzzleloader in my lap...hoping for the rain to hold off. I still had my “Any Deer” tag so anything from a small skipper to a racked buck was in imminent danger. I may be getting long in the tooth, and cranky, and limpy but I still have no quit. My meditations were not interrupted by anything but red squirrels. I had let 1/2 dozen or so does pass by at the beginning of the November rifle season at this spot despite having that Any Deer tag and a Bonus Doe tag. I wasn’t necessarily waiting for a buck, it’s that the shots weren’t good (Maine woods are filled with branches and twigs and blow downs and misc obstructions) and I’ve become more selective with shots given the distance for a drag, even a sled out.

At last count I saw around 10 deer during November while toting the rifle. All does, no bucks and I hunt a lot, and that’s actually pretty good for Maine. I filled the Bonus Doe tag with a huge doe the last week. I never saw another deer the last two weeks carrying the smoke pole. I did see some deer on my own property at my far back ladder stand which is always cool. 

I saw about the same amount of deer while bow hunting the expanded bow season that started on September 12 and ended yesterday, and the regular state wide October archery season. No arrows released. I did see two small bucks, both strolled in within 10-15 yards and neither gave me a shot. One because my muscle memory to stand and shoot kicked in and I spooked a spike, and the other snub nosed little 4 pt would not turn and give me any semblance of a quartering shot, and I prefer not to intentionally spine a deer.

I am certainly not the big buck hunter I use to be, certainly age is a factor, but mostly due to the fact that many if not all the spots where I shot big deer in years past are now not huntable due to posting, or houses, or other unfortunate circumstances. But the memories of them big boys coming in keeps me getting up an hour before dawn. I would liked to have filled another tag, mainly so I could be more generous with gifting deer to some old timers who can’t get out any more and other people who like venison.

Between some cuts from an average sized doe my friend Scott shot and I processed, and the big doe I shot we aren’t wanting for free range protein. This evening we are having seared inner tenderloin.

Maine is an interesting place to be a deer hunter. 94% privately owned land, no baiting allowed, and a relatively small deer herd. But they grow them big up here, body wise more than racks, which is the allure...for most. If a person wants to stackemup, they best move to a southern state (Or WI apparently.) (Although some ME archers in deer rich suburban expanded zones, which allow unlimited does tags to be purchased, do just that.) Deer hunting in ME is certainly frustrating and a challenge, and one I hope to continue to face for years to come.

This morning I told Cash it was all him now until the end of the month. Ruffed grouse beware.

Nice way to bring it home kid  !

Our muzzleloader season starts tomorrow  and yesterday I checked it at the range so have no excuses.

On 12/13/2020 at 6:05 AM, Brad Eden said:

5C7C14A2-FA8B-47A7-955A-429EDBD6DD8D.jpeg

Brad, I like your methodology for keeping the Mission ladies from knocking at your door....make em dodge something dead and gory on the way in. 

I have a good method too. Once while changing clothes I was interrupted by a knock on the back door (where my long hidden drive ended).  I lived in a kinda remote site, and thinking it was a buddy I was expecting, I answered the door wearing nothing but my tidy whities. Three of them, in long dresses and hair in bonnets, shoved a pamphlet in my hand and quickly departed without wanting to discuss it. They never came back. Problem solved.