5 year old lab.  he likes to play tug of war with a rope, son was playing with him and said after they stopped the hips just gave out.  The dog just fell.  Loud enough for my wife to hear from another room and my daughter to hear from upstairs.  I wasn't around so have to go from what they are telling me.  

Had him out for an hour or so walk in the woods yesterday and noticed his tail which is normally pointed back and up is down the whole time running.  None of knows anything that he could have done to traumatize either the tail or hips over the last week or two.  

I have heard anecdotally that Lyme will affect the hips?  Should I get him in and tested?  He's had Soresto collar on at all times.  I don't take a chance in this area.   

We called and they wanted us to give it a while and see.  He's been doing fine right now.  Tail seems to be back to mostly normal.  I'm hoping it was just "one of those things" but any time something happens around here my mind goes to Lyme.  We've had so many friends lose dogs to it that it's a constant in the back of your mind. 

I'm sure not an expert, but could that be limber tail?  If I remember right it can happen after exertion (playing tug) or repetitive cold water retrieves.  Hope he's ok.

I had a young Lab who jumped out of a canoe (he got excited when we jumped some Mallards) in a Wild Rice bed, where I couldn't stop to drag him back in without risking capsizing the canoe, so he had to fight his way through the rice to shore (with me making way for him to make sure he got there).  His tail was dragging for about a week after that.  But he never jumped out, when told to stay, again. 

He could have strained something playing tug, alright.