Big Boy

Someone must be sad to have lost this one. My best friend was hunting in western MN for pheasants and his young GSP found this lying near the edge of a swamp. Nothing but the spinal cord and the head were left. An absolute monster. I guess pheasant hunting is good for something.

IMG_0871-sm.thumb.jpg.7403b7b79ce4bf9e207413d2e3fca301.jpg

it could have died from other causes or by a wolf or yote.   any way.  nice buck.  I find a pretty nice buck dead pretty regular during bird season and during turkey season.

I found this guy last season. His longest tine was about 14 or 15 inches (I don't really know where to measure from). I think it was a bow kill.

Seems like I usually find a decent buck or 2 every year and sometimes a pretty good one like this one. He is not the biggest buck I have found.

IMG_20191211_105611755_HDR.thumb.jpg.25b8f37985ace668c01fd7a6b0425271.jpg

I’ve found a few dead heads. In Maine by law we are required to call a warden and get them tagged. (Not sheds but skulls with racks) 

If found near water, may be EHD. A few years ago we found  quite a few dead bucks. Always right next to water. 

I found one on a Kansas walk-in area while quail hunting a couple years ago that was still attached to a spine but coyotes had already dealt with the rest.  The head stunk something fierce but I lugged it back to the Suburban anyhow as I hated to see it go to waste.  I had intentions of cutting up the antlers for knife scales and whistles but ended up making a euro mount.  It is hanging in my garage covered in dust.

I looked up antler scoring and gave it a try. I seem to recall it was around 130 but probably has deductions I didn't figure in.

779429084_foundkansasbuckjan2019(2).thumb.jpg.ec9b9f2b05c3ab1ccf2591c4a0142fde.jpg

About 25 years ago a young(er) friend took me to some of his covers in another part of the province. It was a goodly hunt, in fact superb. As we stopped for a drink and a snack we smelled something awful and after investigating a bit we found a larger oat field behind the hedgerow. In that field were dozens of legs, head, necks, gut bags, antlers, etc. ad nauseam, and a couple of moose heads all in various stages of decomposition. In fact we surmised that this was a huge "commercial" poaching operation. Gave us the creeps and after we got back in town, we called the Ranger office anonymously and reported it. I never followed up.

12 hours ago, DrJay said:

I’ve always live in blacktail country. How old would that buck be (in the original post)?

Assuming he died fairly recently I would say around 4.5 years old. I believe that's about when they hit their peak for antler growth. If he was bigger than that when he died then he was one hell of a deer. 

Dave Erickson

I've found several lost bucks in the field over the years, but none nicer than a heavy 10 pointer just on the edge of Alta Vista, Iowa. (The infamous little town where the meth heads left their dead baby in the swing until it had maggots.)

In Iowa you need to call the warden and get a tag . Like Brad said sheds and skulls are okay to pick up 

Years ago I was training with my friend Rod from Ohio. We were at the Barrens (Scotia Range), Pa. searching for grouse. Unbeknown  to us we were working our dogs near a pit where the Pa Game Comm dumped the dead deer from the area. Rod's dog decided to take a swim in that terrible mess. Hid dog smelled as bad as a dog could smell. Fortunately for Rod he  had a dog trailer that his dogs traveled in and the setter traveled back to Ohio in the trailer and didn't smell up his truck.