Big Boy

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Hale

Another pair. I have found over a dozen pairs like this. 

C0F7C06E-4B17-40F6-A3EA-798FF93BA381.jpeg

WI Outdoor Nut

These were found last winter looking for sheds.  I find a few dead ones every year.  

2020-3-16 garys shed.PNG

2020-3-16 shed find ii.jpg

2020-3-16 shed find.jpg

those were some real nice bucks.  I find dead bucks almost every year.  Most of the time it's public ground.  This year A buddy and I have been wc hunting in a new area of public and for 4 straight days we found buck skulls that died this year.  I don't think they died fighting.  Poor shot placements.  And from what I'm seeing whomever is doing this needs to rethink being a hunter or go back and do some serious practice.  

Brad Eden

792AF673-3C21-455C-9C24-F462BB07860B.jpeg

A couple dead heads I have found. One is a very nice 8 pt I found while spring wild turkey hunting on a Powerline. It was pretty much skeleton but had a bit of hide and was still attached to the spinal column etc. May have been shot by a deer hunter, no way to know. The smaller one was a deer someone did shoot but didn’t find. I had heard about it and went to look myself and did find it. But it had been eaten by coyotes and was rancid. These are hanging on my home outhouse. I keep all antlers or skull mounts of deer Ive actually killed in garage or house.

Richard Hale

I find dead bucks along roads every spring when I burn pasture. Most are shot from road and left. Very common here. 

D903AD88-9268-45FB-8062-88455713C511.jpeg

salmontogue

Whoever shot from the road is not a hunter.  Other descriptors come immediately to mind but...........

Perk

I found this buck on opening day of grouse season, 15 Sept, several years ago. I could hear the ravens and eagles making a racket, and was down wind of them. As I approached I could smell the dead critter smell and was able to walk into the kill site. Wolf kill, still relatively fresh. About a 20 yard circle all matted down with blood and hair. The birds were just cleaning up the remainder. I would have loved to see this buck walk into one of my bow stands, but the dogs beat me to it. Still in velvet, they ate all the soft spongy parts of the horns too. 

4FAF4434-4655-42DF-9F77-B9913271319A.jpeg

We have an early muzzleloader season here in Va for 2 weeks prior or opening of rifle season.   The landowner where I hunt believes the bucks shouldn't be killed then as the dominant bucks need to breed the does.  Course those dominate bucks are the ones everyone wants to shoot.  Accordingly, we find dead bucks (and does) the first week of rifle season that have been shot off the property and who jump onto the property and run until until they die.   Have found several nice bucks over the years.  Normally its pretty easy to figure out.  Just look for buzzards and then head in that direction.  In every case I've found its bad shot placement.    

Brad Eden

Finding a poorly shot dead deer or any deer someone shot but didn’t “retrieve” instills a certain amount of rage and indignation...due to the size and the fact they are a mammal, I guess. Much more so than the numbers of poorly shot game birds lost every fall and those my dogs find every year. Not making a diligent search for possibly hit birds and finding rancid winged and dead gamebirds just doesnt instill the same intense emotion of deer. Maybe it should.🤔