2020 wrap

WI Brookie Guy

October has always been the month for Brittany Spaniels, grouse, woodcock, golden aspen leaves, and the smell of wood smoke...there was little conflict with my other world of fly fishing for trout since season traditionally closed on 9/30.  Sure, now and again there would be an hour or two early in the morning running the Britts while it was still cool and then spending the heat of the day on the stream in late September, but by and large when one season ended, the baton was handed off to the other.   A couple years ago trout season was extended to 10/15 but the coverts called and I would trade my bamboo for the double and not look back.  

This August, however, one of my fine Britts had surgery to correct her laryngeal paralysis, which prematurely retired her. Her younger sister would have to carry the torch on her own, but I was going to ease her into the season...we had a warm start to grouse season, so trout it was.  I finished out the season with a late-season trico/bwo camp and a couple solo trips back home to my boyhood brook trout streams after walking trails with my Britt.  These were some of the bright spots of an otherwise dark year...looking for a break in the clouds in 2021.

Sept-2020-tricos-3.jpg

Sept-2020-tricos-2.jpg

9-20-2020-brookie2.jpg

9-20-2020-Devils-Creek.jpg

10-03-2020-Brown.jpg

9-20-2020-Devils-Creek2.jpg

Becky-Creek2.jpg

Sept-2020-tricos-1.jpg

2019-10-20.jpg

10-10-2020-Brookie.jpg

Sept-2020-tricos-5.jpg

Wonderful story and photos, thanks!

1 hour ago, WI Brookie Guy said:

This August, however, one of my fine Britts had surgery to correct her laryngeal paralysis, which prematurely retired her.

My Britt spike also had that...and we lost him to a tumor on his liver the day after he recovered. 

Good to see you here, BTW.

WI Brookie Guy
10 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Wonderful story and photos, thanks!

My Britt spike also had that...and we lost him to a tumor on his liver the day after he recovered. 

Good to see you here, BTW.

Guess it was a 5 year hiatus from here...the board went through a transformation and life got in the way.  I knew you lost the damp one, but I wasn't aware of everything behind it...my continued condolences.

Beautiful pictures, fish and a very nice brace of rods.  Trout environment is special.  I agree with Dogrunner on the beer however.

9 hours ago, WI Brookie Guy said:

Guess it was a 5 year hiatus from here...the board went through a transformation and life got in the way.  I knew you lost the damp one, but I wasn't aware of everything behind it...my continued condolences.

Thanks - I still miss him, but Gunner does a good job of keeping me distracted.  If it's possible, hes even more a cuddler, and almost twice Spike's size.

Who was it that when asked why he favored fishing for trout so much he replied "Because trout don't live in ugly places" ?

Wonderful images, I miss knocking around trout country a great deal. I get over it by hitting the Frog Water and anoying

Pike and Smallmouths around weedline edges with a flyrod and hairbug from my kayak. Some times a guy just has to find

solace where he can. Oh the Pain, the pain.😁

Pretty awesome pics, ignore the beer remarks,  bunch of Rhinelander, Goebel, and Busch drinkers.  The interloper in the net is a german brown trout, however.   Musta swam in from Hamm's land.