Forced to hunt.

Hunting access in areas with no public land is such a PIA.  I’ll be hunting this weekend, and more this season, even though I don’t really want to, just to maintain exclusive access to a small but good spot.  I have a doe and a good buck in the freezer, it is full, I have no more storage.  These were taken with an Xbow.

One of my dog fence customers lives along the river, up on the hill overlooking it.  He granted me access to hunt his probably 750 feet of rural riverfront, most of which is wooded maybe 70 yards wide.  I put a nice double wide ladder stand up late last season, and he said I could leave it up.  To show my appreciation, I did two service calls for him since, without charge.  I took the doe there early in the season, and saw several more deer including two near shooter bucks that I let walk for next season.  I shared the doe with him, I took my buck elsewhere.  

Just before our gun week opened November 30, he texted me asking if I planned on hunting any more this season.  Actually no, but this aroused my suspicion, so I replied “I’m not sure, why?”  And he replied “Someone else is asking to hunt, but if you want to hunt more, I’ll tell them no, so you can hunt when you like.”  Call me selfish, but I really don’t care for some stranger sitting in my stand, shooting firing lanes I cleared, increasing pressure on a tiny spot, and perhaps shooting bucks I let pass for next season.  Plus if they got their foot in the door, they’d be back every season, doubling the pressure on this tiny spot.  If it was the landowners friends or family I would be more understanding, but this didn’t sound like the situation.  So I replied as vaguely as possible, “Not sure if I’ll hunt gun week, but likely will the bonus gun weekend and muzzle loader in January, and maybe late season bow if I get bored.” Bow is in until February. 

Well, this is bonus gun weekend, so I bought a final $35 doe tag and I’ll be out there when I have other things I should be doing.  If I take a doe, I’ll share, and I’ll can some more, but my heart isn’t in the rest of the season. What would you have done?

I can sympathize. Around here, finding areas to hunt and getting access is pretty cutthroat. Additionally, if you've been working the area, putting in plots, practicing QDMA techniques to improve the hunting, it's a tough pill to swallow letting others reap the benefits if they're not ones you've personally invited.

On the other hand, everyone says we all have to "grow the sport" whatever the sport is, yet it seems more people than ever are vying for limited spots to pursue our passion - not sure I believe "the sport is dying' calls to action.

If I were you, I'd take another nice doe or two and donate what you don't want to some poor fat hairy soul across the border to the west who spent his deer hunting dollar on an Armed Nature Hike in Elk Country this year! 😉

akcc.jpg

Yes, I considered that this other hunter may be a young person wanting to hunt for the first time, with no other opportunities. I’d hate to be the one who kept them from the sport.

On the other hand, I’ve had some very bad access sharing experiences. If I am sharing, I do it well. I communicate, freely share the best times/locations, and help out when I see a hunter in need. But the behavior of some other hunters in access sharing situations can be abhorrent. I’ve been physically threatened, had my treestand crapped in, my vehicle vandalized, all by another hunter trying to pressure all others out of a shared spot. Unfortunately, these people usually win, because someone who does that type stuff isn’t going to be safe to hunt near anyway. 

That potential situation is what I’m trying to avoid. 

When all this Covid crap is over and you’re driving back form Toledo on business, stop by for a nice venison meal and I’ll send you home with a care package of brats and canned meat. 

I got this two years in a row from a buddy. 

5A557788-2813-4525-A126-9C8BB2F2138F.jpeg

I’d hunt it and stake your spot as yours

access is really difficult to find 

as to being “forced” to hunt lol you suck

I'm a bit in the same situation at the farm I hunt in Va.   There is a fellow who cuts the grass for the owner (who lives in Florida most of the time).  Last year he asked the landowner if he and his son could hunt and they would set in the same stand.  Owners said yes.  Same stand and only one stand could they use.   Fellow shot 2 deer last year out of that stand with his son.   Flash forward this year and he and is son were in that same stand opening day and shot a small buck.  No problem.   He sat in that stand the next day also and I was in another stand.   I didn't hunt for a couple of days and showed up to hunt the next day I received a text pre-dawn asking me what stand I was going to hunt at on the property.   I said number 2 stand (there are 7 stands) and he said fine, but he wanted me to know he had killed a deer out of that stand the previous evening.

Head scratcher and now I was a tad PO'd.  He was supposed to only be hunting the one stand.  Now the owner was there and the owner knew where he had killed the deer the previous evening and didn't say anything, so neither could I.   I hunted in a different stand and saw nothing that day.   Flash forward a couple of days and I'm back at the farm again and get a text asking where I'm going to hunt and I say another stand and he comes back and says he was in the stand the previous evening and saw lots of deer but didn't shoot any.

Anyway, long story short, stands that I hunted on certain days because the winds were perfect for those stands for that day were now awash with hunting pressure.   It changed everything at the farm for me.   Above said, there is plenty of deer there and I took what I needed for me and for others who needed the deer meat and moved on.

Lastly, I was going to take Sophie out there last week to run her and look for the elusive covey of quail before this big snow hit.   I texted him and said I was planning to come out and he said he was hunting late muzzleloader season and could I come out a different day.   

Decided I'm just going to wait till deer season is over before I go back out there again because its suddenly gotten complicated.   

Well, if you’re forced to hunt, you might as well shoot something. 8-10 came along after I had been in stand about 45min. I picked the biggest doe, a nice one. Her face is as long as my size 12 insulated boot. The land owner and my nephews will be happy to be getting meat. 

0F60907F-152C-452C-8798-48AB55860BC7.jpeg

Edit:  Yep, lots of meat hanging here, she’s a bruiser. I’ll turn the cooler on for a few hours to cool her, then shouldn’t need it. This one will hang for at least a week. Best part is I’m off between the Holidays so processing will not be the burden it is when I don’t get home from work till after dark.  

My fat lady has sung. It’s been a great season. I’ve went from striking out two years in a row to 3 deer, more that I really needed, including a nice buck. 

5FF93C82-4AAD-4CC3-BB72-52D5D3E1EAF1.jpeg

On 12/19/2020 at 5:00 AM, tut said:

I'm a bit in the same situation at the farm I hunt in Va.   There is a fellow who cuts the grass for the owner (who lives in Florida most of the time).  Last year he asked the landowner if he and his son could hunt and they would set in the same stand.  Owners said yes.  Same stand and only one stand could they use.   Fellow shot 2 deer last year out of that stand with his son.   Flash forward this year and he and is son were in that same stand opening day and shot a small buck.  No problem.   He sat in that stand the next day also and I was in another stand.   I didn't hunt for a couple of days and showed up to hunt the next day I received a text pre-dawn asking me what stand I was going to hunt at on the property.   I said number 2 stand (there are 7 stands) and he said fine, but he wanted me to know he had killed a deer out of that stand the previous evening.

Head scratcher and now I was a tad PO'd.  He was supposed to only be hunting the one stand.  Now the owner was there and the owner knew where he had killed the deer the previous evening and didn't say anything, so neither could I.   I hunted in a different stand and saw nothing that day.   Flash forward a couple of days and I'm back at the farm again and get a text asking where I'm going to hunt and I say another stand and he comes back and says he was in the stand the previous evening and saw lots of deer but didn't shoot any.

Anyway, long story short, stands that I hunted on certain days because the winds were perfect for those stands for that day were now awash with hunting pressure.   It changed everything at the farm for me.   Above said, there is plenty of deer there and I took what I needed for me and for others who needed the deer meat and moved on.

Lastly, I was going to take Sophie out there last week to run her and look for the elusive covey of quail before this big snow hit.   I texted him and said I was planning to come out and he said he was hunting late muzzleloader season and could I come out a different day.   

Decided I'm just going to wait till deer season is over before I go back out there again because its suddenly gotten complicated.   

Last 15 years I have been the only guy on a 150 acre plot that a friend of mine managed as a grass fed beef hobby operation for the owners(this is 150 acres out of 600 total). 5 minutes from my house. Shot some big deer there. One sweet deal. My friend retired this year. the new farm manager gave me permission but my days are clearly numbered.

It's always a bummer when you get moved in on.  Never fall for the notion that a place is yours unless you have a warranty deed to it.  Leases are good only until the owner decides to cut timber or develop or until the wrong guy joins your lease arrangement...SelbyLowndes 

I was forced to share a big duck lease a few years back with some other guys that leased a small portion prior from the same farmer. A couple years later they got the whole lease out from under me. This has made me very Leary of others and there intentions. I want share a lease any more I want it all or none at all. 

I've quit leasing or being part of a "club". Too many variables and not enough definitions.  Public land isn't too bad...

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Hale

Locally deer hunting seems to cause everyone involved to be unhappy. 
It creates bad neighbor relations, bad feelings between hunters. 
All very sad. It has changed our local areas for the worse.