Setter wearing the front of her legs out ????

My little Setter is wearing the front of her legs bloody while hunting. What can I do, I have never had this problem with any other dog. Tape?

Glenn

IMG_0180 (1).jpg

Ben is doing the same thing and he's 1 1/2 years old.

Rest and more rest. That's about it.  Good thing the season is about over.  He'll settle down a bit by next year but dogs tend to ding their self up in the same places over and over. Ben also has a poker tail and he runs balls to the wall with that tail at 12 o'clock. Guess what?  That's a bloody mess too right dead center of the tail. Once it gets cut only rest and time heals it up.

20 minutes ago, GraceinVA said:

Do you run her with a bell? 

The dogs I ran with a bell had this same issue.  Eventually the areas developed what's known as lick granulomas, which made them even more susceptible and the issue continued to happen even after I stopped using bells.  Sort of scar tissue that gets popped off.

Nasty thing.  Best thing I found for protection after it became an issue was vet wrap and electrical tape.

388656984_TravellerTapedUP10-16.thumb.jpg.14739fead5887b15f26f3c08caca0af2.jpg

24 minutes ago, GraceinVA said:

Do you run her with a bell? 

Yes, could that be it?  I use one of those Northwoods bells on her.

Glenn

8 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

The dogs I ran with a bell had this same issue.  Eventually the areas developed what's known as lick granulomas, which made them even more susceptible and the issue continued to happen after I stopped using bells.  Sort of scar tissue that gets popped off.

Nasty thing.  Best thing I found for protection after it became an issue was vet wrap and electrical tape.

It happened when I was hunting in the UP, healed up, I took her out today, raw again. 

Glenn

The pictures a little blurry but it looks like the skins completely gone on the left carpus, down to the sub cutaneous tissue over the joint. Time for a rest and recuperation.  I've had some minor abrasions over those joints with repeated days in heavy cover, but nothing like that. That looks like it'll take at least a month to heal.

14 hours ago, GlennW said:

Yes, could that be it?  I use one of those Northwoods bells on her.

Glenn

A bell shouldn’t be hitting that low if it’s cinched up tight to the collar. If the dogs licking it I would use Bag Balm.   

I used a small Sunkhaze up tight to the collar . I had the same happen . I would use Duct tape backwards on top of gauze , wrap with vet wrap and then re duct tape the right side up . It worked untilI taped the bell to the high side of the Astro , that eliminated it altogether . I figured , even taped , its still must of hurt hitting the same spot constantly . 

Once I found out what caused the cut I felt sooo bad for the poor dog . I am an idiot . 

Yep, bells hanging in front. Had it happen to my setters. Ran without bells after that.  Don’t wrap too tight on the legs.

Always put the bell collar above the ecollar or gps collar.  The should eliminate it 95% of the time.  Some places also sell an attachment to hang the bell off the collar - those make it worse.  Run the bell directly on the collar.

I had a dog that ran with a low head - always on the ground.  If I didn't put the bell above the ecollar - her legs would get really beat up.  Keeping the bell above the ecollar pretty much eliminated it for me. 

Cinch the bell collar snug to the dog's neck and place it first, closest to the dog's chest and then place any other additional collar in front of the bell collar. I see a lot of people place the bell collar on the outside and in front of any other collar they put on the dog making it more susceptible to rubbing  their legs.