PARING BEER WITH UPLAND GAME BIRDS......................

Upland_Hunter

Upland_Hunter

I know that there is a lot of thoughts and discussion on paring a good wine with a upland game bird dish. But what about a good craft beer? I can imagine that a good golden pal ale would go great with ruffed grouse, quail or pheasant and maybe a amber lager or amber ale would go good with sharptail grouse and sage grouse because of them having darker meat and a little bit more potent flavor and the hoppy flavor of the amber ale would offset the taste. 

So, what are some of your thoughts on the kind of beers to pair with the various upland game birds that are prepared in to some fine dining recipies?

Of the birds you listed I've only eaten quail and pheasant.  But, the darker the meat, the lighter the beer, is my rule.  For lighter meat, a darker beer. 

BTW:

Grilled doves, wrapped with bacon, with a jalapeno?  Corona, or Tecate. 

Snipe, bacon wrapped and grilled?  Any good Pilsner.  

Boiled or steamed seafood on a cold winter day?  IPA.

Rabbit, fried and then simmered in gravy?  (Or chicken livers with gravy over rice, for that matter) ... Something like a Heineken I think.  

Up here it seems that Bush and Bud go best with grouse and woodcock cause that's what I find on the side of the roads.  For quail and pheasant it seems that Miller Lite goes best with them cause that's what I see on the side of the roads mostly in KS.

For me at home, I have maybe 8 different beers in the fridge right now and a bottle of wine.  Lite beers up to porters.  If I'm having dinner I'll mostly have a lite sour beer or if I have a wicked strong sour I'll pour a half and half with the sour and a cheap lite pilsner.  Goes with just about any food that I cook.  The heavy beers like a porter or stout are best I think after dinner with a piece of pie. Yum!

But as always, my favorite beer is free one.  

VT brewed Switchback is my perennial microbrew favorite...with a hot dog or Woodcock in brandy and cream...

My wife likes something slightly darker with a bit more bite so there is usually a 6 pack of Fat City Amber Ale alongside the Switchback. 

Any food, from cereal first thing in the morning until your last dish of ice cream before bed - the perfect companion?

guinness.png

• 2 weeks later...
airmedic1
On 12/21/2020 at 6:49 AM, C.J.L. said:

Up here it seems that Bush and Bud go best with grouse and woodcock cause that's what I find on the side of the roads.  For quail and pheasant it seems that Miller Lite goes best with them cause that's what I see on the side of the roads mostly in KS.

Busch Lite and Bud Light are the upland bird hunters choices in Nebraska cause they leave them at all of the public land parking spots for me to pick up!

DD Huntress

An ice cold cerveza with spicy Mexican fare hits the spot❣

1971snipe
12 minutes ago, DD Huntress said:

An ice cold cerveza with spicy Mexican fare hits the spot❣

Indeed.  When bird hunting in south Texas it's my hunting partners and my tradition before and with dinner, (whether with Mexican fare or not), to enjoy a Corona or Tecate with a slice of lime.