3 Rib prime rib roast

Christmas dinner . Let me preface that I am the worst cook on the planet , my wife and daughter not being much better . 

Oh , I can cook a ribeye on the grill and make sauce , meatballs , pork ... but I can screw up a pre cooked Turkey dinner . My problem is I think too much and like my guns , I'm anal and overdo everything .

My local Italian butcher where I buy my meats and cold cuts is a friend and sets me up with good stuff . I'm sure this is , he gets nothing but the best . I decided on a 3 Rib prime rib roast . Another friend who is a real good cook suggested a simple pinetrest recipe and it looks like I can handle it .

My question after reading much on the net is salting . Some suggest salting with kosher salt up to 48 hours sitting in the fridge uncovered and after the 48 rinsing the salt , dry and add the rub and cook . It states that it will break down the meat and tenderize it but be sure to rinse all the salt off or the beef will taste salty . Damn , I don't want to ruin it .

Should I eliminate this step or give it a go ?

"stump" wants me to smoke it . Not happening with me being such a newbie and expensive piece of beef , maybe next year . 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gunsrus

• dogrunner

• canvasback

• C.J.L.

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Festivus Stump.....and AL

SUCCESS !    I can cook . 

Actually brother James I believe we make a great team together!   Thanks for the heads up on the deflation. I didn't know that until just now when I read what you said. Yes I was disappointe

Not a huge salt guy, I would rub lightly with olive oil and then rub it with your favorite beef seasoning.  Smoking it could be good or bad depending on those eating it some don't like smoked beef as much as they would pork.  Send it to me I'll cook it for ya. 😁

I cooked one last Christmas, season the hell out of it turn the oven on to 500 degrees F. put it in turn the oven off and watch the internal temp till it gets to the rare you like pull it tent with foil and let it sit for 15 min. Enjoy, love prime rib. To be clear pullit about 10 degrees more rare than you want, it will continue to cook after you pull it for a while.

The salt draws out moisture so salt it and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for at least 24 hours.  Rinse if you want but you won't notice the meat being salty either way.  

2 minutes ago, RayB said:

I cooked one last Christmas, season the hell out of it turn the oven on to 500 degrees F. put it in turn the oven off and watch the internal temp till it gets to the rare you like pull it tent with foil and let it sit for 15 min. Enjoy, love prime rib. To be clear pullit about 10 degrees more rare than you want, it will continue to cook after you pull it for a while.

RayB's got it down

6 minutes ago, RayB said:

That's the plan .

mister grouse

Is there a bone in that roast?  

If so, Only thing I would ask Ray B about his approach(which is same as I do for beef tenders) is whether you have to leave it in longer due to bone in the piece that OP is asking about ?  And I am assuming that roast has a bone....if not a bone in it Ray B does have it IMO.  

Mike da Carpenter

I will preface this with I have never done a Prime Rib, but what you described doing is exactly what I do to make bacon.  I cover in salt to draw out the moisture (amazing how much comes out), rinse of and then smoke.  Yes, it is very salty.  If you don’t want it to taste salty, I’d find a different recipe.  Maybe just dry age it in the fridge uncovered???

Years ago, on a different website, I did a complete How-to on how I made bacon.  I won’t post it here as there are some things in the thread that don’t belong here on this site, but if anyone wants the recipe, please send me a PM and I will forward you a link to it.  

I will also add this is probably the easiest piece of meat you will ever cook. Just don't overthink it.

2 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

I will also add this is probably the easiest piece of meat you will ever cook. Just don't overthink it.

Or Overcook it. 

Mike da Carpenter
9 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

I like Chef John's channel.

I will be doing this.  Thank you CJ.