3 Rib prime rib roast

Spiller, here it is.  This makes a fair bit. experiment with different sized pans to get the texture and density you like. I like thick and dense so I typically use a smaller pan than most would. Also, and this is important. I like Yorkshire so much, I'd just as soon that no one else at my table eat any. LOL It's the one dish I make where I am totally unconcerned about others' enjoyment of it. I make it for me! 😁

All ingredients at room temp.

1 3/4 cups flour.

1 teaspoon salt.

1 1/2 to 2 cups milk. (I'm looking for the consistency of the batter, not an exact measurement).

4 eggs.

Sift the flour and the salt.

Slowly add the milk, whisking until it is smooth.

Whisk the eggs and then add them to the mixture. At this point I'm looking for a thin pancake batter consistency.

Stir the batter vigorously until you are getting air pockets or bubbles.

Put mixture in the fridge for a couple hours. I typically start making the batter as soon as I have stuck the roast in the oven.

Your pan should have between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of fat/drippings in it. Only use animal fat. Beef, lard, bacon are what I use. The amount depends on the size of the pan. of course this fat/drippings hugely affect flavour so again, experiment to get the balance right for you.

Heat the pan with the drippings/fat until it is smoking. Pour in the batter. Put in oven preheated to 400 degrees or a bit more. Hot is good as long as you don't burn.

Cook for 20-25 min

When you pull it out it should be very puffed up. All over the pan. It will deflate. Count on it and don't be disappointed. The edges near the side of the pan will stay a little high and be a bit crusty. The centre portion will be relatively flat and dense. That's where the best flavour is, IMHO. I try to use a pan sized so that each serving has both edge and centre.

Edit to add: The batter should be in the 1/2" to 1" deep range when you first pour it in.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gunsrus

• dogrunner

• canvasback

• C.J.L.

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Festivus Stump.....and AL

SUCCESS !    I can cook . 

Actually brother James I believe we make a great team together!   Thanks for the heads up on the deflation. I didn't know that until just now when I read what you said. Yes I was disappointe

I would like to add that I have eaten at brother Cold Iron's table. And while I am happy with what I'm doing, in no way would I ever contradict my brother's advice. 😁

5 hours ago, canvasback said:

Spiller, here it is.  This makes a fair bit. experiment with different sized pans to get the texture and density you like. I like thick and dense so I typically use a smaller pan than most would. Also, and this is important. I like Yorkshire so much, I'd just as soon that no one else at my table eat any. LOL It's the one dish I make where I am totally unconcerned about others' enjoyment of it. I make it for me! 😁

All ingredients at room temp.

1 3/4 cups flour.

1 teaspoon salt.

1 1/2 to 2 cups milk. (I'm looking for the consistency of the batter, not an exact measurement).

4 eggs.

Sift the flour and the salt.

Slowly add the milk, whisking until it is smooth.

Whisk the eggs and then add them to the mixture. At this point I'm looking for a thin pancake batter consistency.

Stir the batter vigorously until you are getting air pockets or bubbles.

Put mixture in the fridge for a couple hours. I typically start making the batter as soon as I have stuck the roast in the oven.

Your pan should have between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of fat/drippings in it. Only use animal fat. Beef, lard, bacon are what I use. The amount depends on the size of the pan. of course this fat/drippings hugely affect flavour so again, experiment to get the balance right for you.

Heat the pan with the drippings/fat until it is smoking. Pour in the batter. Put in oven preheated to 400 degrees or a bit more. Hot is good as long as you don't burn.

Cook for 20-25 min

When you pull it out it should be very puffed up. All over the pan. It will deflate. Count on it and don't be disappointed. The edges near the side of the pan will stay a little high and be a bit crusty. The centre portion will be relatively flat and dense. That's where the best flavour is, IMHO. I try to use a pan sized so that each serving has both edge and centre.

Edit to add: The batter should be in the 1/2" to 1" deep range when you first pour it in.

This is our go-to style. We serve it in wedges.

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

SUCCESS !    I can cook . 

What method did you end up doing?  Without pictures it never happened.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, canvasback said:

I would like to add that I have eaten at brother Cold Iron's table. And while I am happy with what I'm doing, in no way would I ever contradict my brother's advice. 😁

Actually brother James I believe we make a great team together!

Thanks for the heads up on the deflation. I didn't know that until just now when I read what you said. Yes I was disappointed LOL. Thought I did something wrong.

But it was oh so good!!

50762728466_6e6039707f_b.jpg

My youngest son who is home likes his beef well done 😞 so will be slicing left overs today and making French Dip sandwiches. And using the slices of Yorkshire for the bread to dip into the Au Jus. At least it sounds good right now, pretty sure it will be. If you were closer and the border wasn't closed I'd say come on over!

6 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Once is luck.... twice is skill. 

Ya , I think I'll order out tonight , Lobster "fra diavlo" . 

That was waaaaay too stressful for me yesterday !

6 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Ya , I think I'll order out tonight , Lobster "fra diavlo" . 

That was waaaaay too stressful for me yesterday !

Hey, at least you had a couple "spares" in case you screwed up yesterday.😁 

Glad It turned out well for you my friend.