Winter upland habitat work

My property has a lot of mature dogwood mixed in with honeysuckle and buckthorn. Started clearing a small section today starting with the dogwood and other woody non invasive species. The next step will be to cut and stump spray the buckthorn and honeysuckle. We have quite a few apple trees mixed in as well and trimmed the dead stuff off those as well. I had a couple helpers and that made the work go much faster.  Only 20 more acres to go. I almost enjoy doing this as much as hunting anymore. 
the clearing 

6BDD71D1-0378-4463-9738-E70038C3D4EC.thumb.jpeg.68c5977e42118d8efad5ecaca028f1d7.jpeg
and what we took out. The bunnies will like this. 

B78D0399-601B-45BE-B3E1-E21AF2DCFCC2.thumb.jpeg.f5b8c14ccebf9752c329f0dd11dbc8a3.jpeg

As a side note the “clearing “will be left to grow back after the invasives are gone. Making some desperately needed young habitat on the property. A lot of the grey dogwood we cut was 8’ or taller with not much stem density. With the invasives under check I’m hoping to get good regrowth with the dogwood. 

14 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Wc like dogwood. 

That’s one of goals, to make some better habitat for those little buggers. They sing right by that spot in the fields. 

Attacked some of the honeysuckle today. Cut and stump spray. Dewalt battery operated chainsaw is great for this, on and off quickly and no pull start! 
before 
B040655F-9BD7-4E54-A717-CF2F2EDBA414.thumb.jpeg.15218d506b90a11f3e4190a3b4225021.jpeg

After

53E59395-298D-4228-A405-9A6F6F51A837.thumb.jpeg.2f8a2eec37204eec780e6f5efaa17ccd.jpeg

blue/green spots are honeysuckle stump. I put a dye in the herbicide so I know what I’ve done. 

ScottGrush

Great job!

It is very rewarding. If you don't have a pole chainsaw in your habitat tool kit try one out, great for trimming shooting lanes, cutting honeysuckle off at the base, etc.... Less bending too!!!!

coming soon

10 minutes ago, ScottGrush said:

Great job!

It is very rewarding. If you don't have a pole chainsaw in your habitat tool kit try one out, great for trimming shooting lanes, cutting honeysuckle off at the base, etc.... Less bending too!!!!

coming soon

Yes they are awesome. I have a Oregon 40v pole saw and I love it. I switch back and forth from the dewalt chain saw and the pole saw. 

Huntschool
On 12/30/2020 at 7:51 PM, upstate said:

After

53E59395-298D-4228-A405-9A6F6F51A837.thumb.jpeg.2f8a2eec37204eec780e6f5efaa17ccd.jpeg

blue/green spots are honeysuckle stump. I put a dye in the herbicide so I know what I’ve done. 

Looking beyond those two dark snaggy trees at what I see, I would recommend you get a Hydro axe (Rotary) or Hydro Axe horizontal tree mower and save yourself some time... LOL

Just thinking....  LOL

1 hour ago, Huntschool said:

Looking beyond those two dark snaggy trees at what I see, I would recommend you get a Hydro axe or horizontal tree mower and save yourself some time... LOL

Just thinking....  LOL

I know what you mean. This is the edge of a 15 acre brush lot. The problem with the big mechanical stuff is they don’t take care of the invasives. Stuff like buckthorn grows back 10 times worse if you just cut it with out treating it. I’m going to do some basal bark spray on the buckthorn. I can treat a lot of stems in a short amount of time. The dark snaggy tress are apple trees. 

I’ll just keep picking away at it. Doing it by hand let’s me really see what’s in there. Left some nice young nannyberry in this patch. My two boys will be helping in a few years too. I can’t wait for the help. 

Huntschool
3 minutes ago, upstate said:

I know what you mean. This is the edge of a 15 acre brush lot. The problem with the big mechanical stuff is they don’t take care of the invasives. Stuff like buckthorn grows back 10 times worse if you just cut it with out treating it. I’m going to do some basal bark spray on the buckthorn. I can treat a lot of stems in a short amount of time. The dark snaggy tress are apple trees. 

I’ll just keep picking away at it. Doing it by hand let’s me really see what’s in there. Left some nice young nannyberry in this patch. My two boys will be helping in a few years too. I can’t wait for the help. 

How about after "clearing/mowing/hydro axing  you do an application of Remedy or even Tordon.  That should eliminate all the woody stuff.  (Remedy might be a bit less destructive)  There is another product but I dont know if you can get it up here.  Its what the Texans use to get rid of mesquite....  its called Valpar...  it is a killer and is used with great care down there but it does work as basal application.

I thought they were apple but was afraid to say.  

1 minute ago, Huntschool said:

How about after "clearing/mowing/hydro axing  you do an application of Remedy or even Tordon.  That should eliminate all the woody stuff.  (Remedy might be a bit less destructive)  There is another product but I dont know if you can get it up here.  Its what the Texans use to get rid of mesquite....  its called Valpar...  it is a killer and is used with great care down there but it does work as basal application.

I thought they were apple but was afraid to say.  

Thanks for the info. Something to chew on. I’m really hesitant to use too much volume of any herbicide. I’ll do the stump and basal treatments only because it’s about the only way I’ll ensure targeted plants don’t grow back. My property is the part of the headwaters to a stream that dumps into a big lake so I’m not really crazy about using chemicals at all. 
I try to minimize the overspray and keep it on the stumps themselves. 

Huntschool
1 minute ago, upstate said:

Thanks for the info. Something to chew on. I’m really hesitant to use too much volume of any herbicide. I’ll do the stump and basal treatments only because it’s about the only way I’ll ensure targeted plants don’t grow back. My property is the part of the headwaters to a stream that dumps into a big lake so I’m not really crazy about using chemicals at all. 
I try to minimize the overspray and keep it on the stumps themselves. 

Of those I mentioned Remedy is likely the least volatile.  It will work on almost most broad leafed weedy species.  Tordon will kill all woody stems.  It is what has been used as a pre plant hardwood vegetative control on Southern clear cut pine plantations and pasture reclamation again to remove hardwood competition.    

As Huntschool mentioned, if you like immediate gratification, put one of these things to work... A beast! 😀    I had a section that was overgrown in hardwoods and thickets; in just  a couple of hours it was all clear and beautiful. Followed that up with some stump spraying and later fire and it was amazing how much sooner everything got the way I needed it. 

dXFBgUcN_o.jpeg