Jump to content

Winter upland habitat work


Recommended Posts

WI Outdoor Nut
22 hours ago, ScottGrush said:

Great job!

It is very rewarding. If you don't have a pole chainsaw in your habitat tool kit try one out, great for trimming shooting lanes, cutting honeysuckle off at the base, etc.... Less bending too!!!!

coming soon

Have the exact same one.  Bought primarily to cut shooting lanes for deer hunting, but use it for a lot more.  Great little saw for not a lot of money.  Can get 3-4 hours out of a battery.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntschool
On 1/5/2021 at 7:07 AM, spring said:

As Huntschool mentioned, if you like immediate gratification, put one of these things to work... A beast! 😀    I had a section that was overgrown in hardwoods and thickets; in just  a couple of hours it was all clear and beautiful. Followed that up with some stump spraying and later fire and it was amazing how much sooner everything got the way I needed it. 

 

dXFBgUcN_o.jpeg

 

I have watched guys on the rotary type take out massive amounts of stuff in short order.  Even Larger pines by tilting the rotary cutter back and raising it up several feet and then engaging the tree.  About two swipes and its down to the stump.  We see the horizontal cutters (tree mowers) up here working power line right of ways.  Just had one here on the place this fall.  No burn after but there sure is some fire starter out there.....  Just sayin.

 

Spring:  What is the going hourly rate for the machine you had do your work ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Huntschool said:

 

I have watched guys on the rotary type take out massive amounts of stuff in short order.  Even Larger pines by tilting the rotary cutter back and raising it up several feet and then engaging the tree.  About two swipes and its down to the stump.  We see the horizontal cutters (tree mowers) up here working power line right of ways.  Just had one here on the place this fall.  No burn after but there sure is some fire starter out there.....  Just sayin.

 

Spring:  What is the going hourly rate for the machine you had do your work ?

 

 

I don't remember exactly what it cost but do remember per hour, at first it seemed expensive. I could rationalize it though by it's speed and effectiveness. Cheaper methods would have taken much longer and the total likely would have ultimately cost even more.  Here's a video I took while it was working: 

 

 

https://streamable.com/i5pjm0

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntschool
22 hours ago, spring said:

 

 

I don't remember exactly what it cost but do remember per hour, at first it seemed expensive. I could rationalize it though by it's speed and effectiveness. Cheaper methods would have taken much longer and the total likely would have ultimately cost even more.  Here's a video I took while it was working: 

 

 

B842000C-216F-4F28-9A56-42ED767AD048(1).

 

 

I would like to see the vid but it shows as password protected....

 

EDIT:  I got it.  I guess I missed that streamable.com the first time.....  I love to watch those guys work those machines 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ScottGrush

About $250/hour is going rate around here.

NRCS has money available for this type work under the guise of Golden winged warbler habitat improvement. We have completed two projects, mostly tag alder shearing, for GWW habitat. It makes for super woodcock and later grouse habitat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
WMassGriff

A forestry mulcher would make short work of your brush and small trees but I agree the Buckthorn resprouts will be an issue. They are the worst next to Phragmites. If you do have a contractor do your work be sure they don't bring uninvited plant pests with them on their equipment!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

A forestry mulcher would make short work of your brush and small trees but I agree the Buckthorn resprouts will be an issue. They are the worst next to Phragmites. If you do have a contractor do your work be sure they don't bring uninvited plant pests with them on their equipment!

I had a small phragmites infestation when we moved in. That was the first area to be tackled. It is a very aggressive species and I’m pretty vigilant about keeping it off the property. Had a family of woodcock feeding in the area that is now clear of the phragmites most of the summer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...