Christmas Dinner(s)

This afternoon is seafood gumbo, although I'm still in the hunt for some oysters. 

Tmrw will be traditional roast turkey with cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, some dirty rice with oysters if I locate oysters, green bean casserole, baked corn, rolls, and of course pecan pie and strong black coffee.   

Afterward I'll be trying to walk all this off.  And then settle things down with some Crown Hand Selected Barrel either neat or with an ice cube or two.   

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971snipe

• SODAKer

• robp

• C.J.L.

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Christmas Eve has always been the big event in my family. My parents were both Slovak and we celebrated accordingly. Christmas Eve dinner is called velija and is supposed to be a vegetarian dinner

Merry Christmas!   Last week started smoking cheese and nuts. More than 20 pounds of cheese when all said and done. Kept a little for my me but most gave away as presents. Ended up with

Tonight is the whole family get together all on Zoom with home made Pizza   Tomorrow is a Angus Rib Roast that I will be getting ready in a few hours it will go into the oven tomorrow mornin

Posted Images

I made a scratch Lasagna meat sauce a few days ago, assembled the Lasagna the next day, froze, and now it’s thawing before being transported to my daughters place in NH tomorrow for the Christmas dinner. I normally would time it to be ready to be heated up without freezing, but the strangest thing is when I’ve frozen it prior, then thawed and baked its as good and even better for some reason. I make it from my late mother’s recipe. It’s a cheesy saucy Lasagna, not the kind that’s cut like a brick. Garlic bread, fresh salad..can’t wait. My wife is making a raspberry pie today to bring and the girls are making all sorts of appetizers, deserts and specialty drinks. (Lexi the hostess is using her graphic design artistic skill and apparently her house is like a Christmas village, and Liz was a bartender in her earlier college years at bars and pubs around UNH...so makes awesome cocktails.)

Tonight I'm having a traditional tortiere, with the addition of some duck meat to the pie.

Tomorrow is standard turkey Christmas day dinner with the addition of a bunch of sushi. Should be interesting.

Chicken enchiladas, and smoked turkey, today with the kiddos tomorrow ducks and doves in the a.m. left overs in the afternoon. 

I have a duck in a brine for the  past two days and will be pulled out shortly so it can sit in the fridge uncovered for the next 24 hours to help dry out the skin making it crispy.

Made the liver into pate last night, awesome, and for tonight it's homemade polish sausage, sauerkraut  and pierogies.  

Dogs are getting hotdogs on a bun.  

Tonight is the whole family get together all on Zoom with home made Pizza

Tomorrow is a Angus Rib Roast that I will be getting ready in a few hours it will go into the oven tomorrow morning and when it comes out we are heading to the Parents house for a small dinner 10 minutes down the road, not sure I am going to cook all 12 pounds tomorrow may cut 5 pounds off and save it for the weekend that way we can leave them with left overs.

All of this is subject to change due to weather we are predicted to see 2-3 inches of rain starting late tonight through tomorrow that with the melted snow might make for a bust day for me.

Took a package of grouse out of the freezer last night to do tomorrow. 

29 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

I heard Al is going to have an old boot for dinner.  

That is the rumor on the street. If @gunsrus lived closer I'd take care of him. Because of him and his thread I will be firing up the smoker in the morning now. Stopped at the grocery store yesterday when I was out delivering some smoked cheese and nuts I did for some friends.

50754659298_4a256fe937_b.jpg

Told the butcher wanted 3 bone from the thick side so was about what I expected. Got home and discovered he had cut the bones off and tied them back on ARGHHH!! Can live with it not much choice now. Salt and peppered wrapped in oil soaked cheese cloth in the downstairs fridge until morning. Doing a self clean on the oven right now for green bean casserole. I like my green bean casserole on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Along with a few other things.

molliesmaster

Low country boil and oysters tonight at my dads house. 

Tomorrow, family is coming over to our house for a brunch time serving of shrimp and grits, toppings will also include country ham, pancetta, sautéed mushrooms, green onions, and extra cheese.  

The wife will make way too many desserts and I hope to spend the rest of the weekend walking off the extra calories behind a bird dog. 

Merry Christmas! 

Wife made 2 Tortieres from my mom's recipe...one never even made it to the freezer...gone overnight!

Christmas eve, shrimp, swedish meat balls, pigs in a blanket, cheeses, crackers, maybe some crab cakes, other finger foods.

Christmas day we will have wifesaver in the morning and tenderloin with baby potatoes, asparagus, bearnaise sauce, green beans,etc.

Boxing Day will be tortiere, homemade lasagna, and left overs 🙂

Having a hickory smoked bacon 🥓 wrapped tenderloin filet tonight.  Pretty sure Al is cooking me a Perfect Prime rib tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Wife made 2 Tortieres from my mom's recipe...one never even made it to the freezer...gone overnight!

Christmas eve, shrimp, swedish meat balls, pigs in a blanket, cheeses, crackers, maybe some crab cakes, other finger foods.

Christmas day we will have wifesaver in the morning and tenderloin with baby potatoes, asparagus, bearnaise sauce, green beans,etc.

Boxing Day will be tortiere, homemade lasagna, and left overs 🙂

Tabarrrnouche! Tourtiere!! Most years Linda and I would repair to Toronto where most of my extended and adoptive families live and almost all of us  know the difference between a knife and a spatula, one sister is a Grand Diplome Cordon Bleu, earned in Paris). My daughter's tourtiere was usually the most sought after item on the festive tables. 2020...begone I say!!!!

6 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Pig stomach and baked corn (and some other less important food stuffs) for tomorrow's meal. 

Yum!!!!!!!!?