• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971snipe

• SODAKer

• robp

• C.J.L.

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Christmas Eve has always been the big event in my family. My parents were both Slovak and we celebrated accordingly. Christmas Eve dinner is called velija and is supposed to be a vegetarian dinner

Merry Christmas!   Last week started smoking cheese and nuts. More than 20 pounds of cheese when all said and done. Kept a little for my me but most gave away as presents. Ended up with

Tonight is the whole family get together all on Zoom with home made Pizza   Tomorrow is a Angus Rib Roast that I will be getting ready in a few hours it will go into the oven tomorrow mornin

Posted Images

Been a helluva year, Covid, personal etc., so figured I'd pull together a nice Christmas dinner figuring who knows what tomorrow brings.

Appetizers:

Mini crab cakes

Ma's home made Spring rolls

Smoked salmon and an assortment of crackers

Dinner:

Prime Rib roast low and slow over apple wood on the BGE

New York strip steaks seared and finished off on  BGE

Baked potatoes

Green bean casserole

Corn pudding

Salad

Yeast rolls

Desert:

Carrot cake (wife makes the best, seriously, lol!)

Key Lime Pie (I make the best, I really do, lol!)

Libations:

Simi Chardonnay

Kunde Cab till it runs out, lol, then pop the cork on what's left on the shelf

Merry Christmas to you all!

Christmas Eve has always been the big event in my family.
My parents were both Slovak and we celebrated accordingly.
Christmas Eve dinner is called velija and is supposed to be a vegetarian dinner.
I attempt to keep the tradition alive even though it just me and my wife this year.

It’s a lot of work, I still can’t figure out how my grandmother could get it all done in 24 hours. While slugging down Manhattans, not make a mess, have it set on the dinner table steaming hot. Still having energy to engage with all of us obnoxious grand kids till the late hours of the night. On top of it she always made a dozen different kinds of cookies. One other detail, she put straw on the dinning room table then covered it with a table cloth. The Slovak culture in one step away from witch craft. I still have x girl friends emailing me for the soup recipe 30 years later and they are not Slovak.

The main star of the meal is mushroom sauerkraut soup.
Oplatky-like a big communion wafer with honey-getting more difficult to find
Bobajky- small pieces of dough sautéed with butter and sauerkraut or sweetened with honey and poppy seeds,
Piroghy -potato, cabbage and plum
Fried white fish-I used walleyes
 Walnut rolls

I start making dinner the weekend before I still can't get it done with out a giant mess

Christmas Dinner this year will be simpler
Shrimp boil
Roasted canvas back
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Roasted baby red potatoes with  rosemary
Creme brûlée
I will start the evening with a rye whiskey old fashion
Serve a chilled flute of champagne before dinner
Followed by a Duckhorn  Merlot with dinner
Maybe a beer or two during the day
 Egg nogg with brandy after dinner

I have to take it easy I’m meeting my hunting buddy a 4 am to go pheasant hunting Saturday

Have a most  excellent Christmas

36 minutes ago, robp said:

Christmas Eve dinner is called velija and is supposed to be a vegetarian dinner.
I attempt to keep the tradition alive even though it just me and my wife this year.

It’s a lot of work, I still can’t figure out how my grandmother could get it all done in 24 hours. While slugging down Manhattans, not make a mess, have it set on the dinner table steaming hot. Still having energy to engage with all of us obnoxious grand kids till the late hours of the night. On top of it she always made a dozen different kinds of cookies. One other detail she put straw on the dinning room table then covered it with a table cloth. The Slovak culture in one step away from witch craft. I still have x girl friends emailing me for the soup recipe 30 years later and they are not Slovak.

Bobajky- small pieces of dough sautéed with butter and sauerkraut or sweetened with honey and poppy seeds,
 Walnut rolls

I start making dinner the weekend before I still cant get it done with out a giant mess

Shrimp boil
Roasted canvas back
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Creme brûlée

I have to take it easy I’m needing my hunting buddy a 4 am to go pheasant hunting Saturday

Feel free to send over 8 servings of the creme brulee to my house:)

Merry Christmas!

Last week started smoking cheese and nuts. More than 20 pounds of cheese when all said and done. Kept a little for my me but most gave away as presents.

Ended up with 2 paper bags full of Medium Cheddar, Gouda x Parm (AWESOME), Extra Sharp, and Pepper Jack more than 20 pounds all told. Nuts were Macadamia, Cashews and almonds. Mixed with melted butter, sugar, cinnamon and a little cayenne pepper.

Gave one bag to neighbor. Matt is a principle at a Catholic HS in town, they have 4 well behaved kids and a joy. Great neighbors couple of years ago when it was -34 was going to wait until it got into the twenties below to blow the drive. Looked out the window to see him doing it. This summer they invited me over for a 4th of July family get together. Ended up being seated next to his FIL who is a West Point Grad and spent 3 years in Country in NAM when things first started. His MIL has advanced stage 4B cancer. My son survived IVB cancer and we talked the whole time, mainly him about NAM and also the cancer his wife was going through and treatment. Afterwards Matts wife who is a gem came up to me and hugged me and said thank you I now know a lot more about my father and why I went through what I did growing up then I did before, he never told anyone before what he told you that I know of, and burst into tears. I just nodded and walked away but it was a struggle for me not to cry also. They are the salt of the earth, all of them.

Other bag went to a friend I work with that is also retired Navy and we both were in Desert Shield\Storm together. Although not on the same ship we are still brothers. His wife made my son and I HIPA face masks when this whole COVID thing started. He is 65 a couple of years older than me but we both plan on working until at least ~68 this sit down gig is a cake walk in comparison. It is also rewarding working at the #1 ranked hospital in the US if not the world especially lately. And they pay us a stupid amount of money compared to the military. We are teammates out here in Civlant and think the same. He made and brought Christmas cookies for me and my son last week. He is also salt of the earth and so is his wife, wish I could be so lucky.

It was a great feeling to make something for someone else and see the joy when I delivered it. And am not a touchy feely person, but realize now I have been a slacker. Being able to smoke and make treats for someone else and see the joy in their face when I delivered them kind of made me feel good but not in a sappy way, it was more of the right thing to do. Made me realize what Christmas is really about and am thankful. Very thankfully I am the one that is blessed.

Enough of that crap. But did make realize I need to step to the plate and pull my share of the load in this merry go round we call life..

Anyhow after doing the cheese and nuts on the 26" kettle figured time for a standing rib roast for Christmas for the son and I. The pellet popper just doesn't cut it for me with pellets don't care what pellets you use. And while the WSM has an Automatic Temperature Controller the kettle is just too easy to use.

$95 standing rib roast. Salt and pepper for 2 days wrapped in oil soaked cheese cloth.
Pup is 15 weeks old now and just like his father my helper.

50759761376_99ac1381c9_b.jpg

No need for fancy equipment just a good thermometer. Hey at least it was 1 above zero when I started not below zero. Drip pan is the "disposal" cake pan that I did the nuts in. Will be used for the drippings to make Yorkshire pudding.

Yeah started off at 1° and just had to cut the bottom vent down to lower it from 256° to get it down closer to 225°. No need for a ceramic cooker LOL and pretty sure I know what cold is LOL.

A 26" Weber kettle is all you need even in the frozen tundra. Pup approved and pretty sure he just burnt his nose by his reaction LOL

50759760646_89fd0a333f_b.jpg

Target is 1800. Will likely be more like 1700. It will be ready when it ready.

Prime Rib. Béarnaise sauce. Yorkshire pudding. Garlic mashed potatoes. Corn. Green bean casserole. Baby carrots with brown sugar and honey glaze. 

And Christmas cookies and milk for desert. If there is room.

4 hours ago, robp said:

It’s a lot of work, I still can’t figure out how my grandmother could get it all done in 24 hours. While slugging down Manhattans, not make a mess, have it set on the dinner table steaming hot. Still having energy to engage with all of us obnoxious grand kids till the late hours of the night. On top of it she always made a dozen different kinds of cookies. One other detail, she put straw on the dinning room table then covered it with a table cloth. The Slovak culture in one step away from witch craft. I still have x girl friends emailing me for the soup recipe 30 years later and they are not Slovak.

Walnut rolls

I start making dinner the weekend before I still can't get it done with out a giant mess

Shrimp boil
Roasted canvas back
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Creme brûlée

I have to take it easy I’m meeting my hunting buddy a 4 am to go pheasant hunting Saturday

There's an old Slovak and Czech culture west and Southwest of Houston, many refer to themselves as "Bohunks".  Anyway, I was following along with your list fairly well I think, except the walleyes and the mushroom sauerkraut soup.  Roast canvasback sounds good.  

WI Outdoor Nut

Just came back from a hunting trip were the quail were plentiful.  Our Christmas is not normal with only about 1/2 of us meeting due to covid (my family has the antibodies, so minimal risk).  My mother was on the fence what to make with a smaller group, so I offered to make stuffed quail.  No one at the table with the exception of my family, had ever had wild quail.  Turned out good and it appeared most people really liked it.  Stuffing was from scratch and was as good as the quail.  Only one had a BB which I didn't think was to bad.  

quail.jpg

9 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Just came back from a hunting trip were the quail were plentiful.  Our Christmas is not normal with only about 1/2 of us meeting due to covid (my family has the antibodies, so minimal risk).  My mother was on the fence what to make with a smaller group, so I offered to make stuffed quail.  No one at the table with the exception of my family, had ever had wild quail.  Turned out good and it appeared most people really liked it.  Stuffing was from scratch and was as good as the quail.  Only one had a BB which I didn't think was to bad.  

quail.jpg

A sheet pan meal?  

Dave Erickson

My wife picked up a couple stuffed pork chops for our Christmas Eve dinner. When we came home from a drive-in church service that our area Lutheran churches put together (very nice), I told her I'd get Zeb from the kennel and she set out the pork chops on a baking sheet on the counter. Brought Zeb in and the next thing I knew we were down to one stuffed pork chop. Our counter-terrorist struck, and we split the remaining pork chop and filled in with some chicken nuggets. 

Back in the old days when my full blooded Norwegian father and mostly German mother were alive we'd have lutefisk, meatballs, lefse, rutabagas, mashed potatoes, et al, for our Christmas Eve dinner. After years and years I actually began to like lutefisk, but the tradition left with my parents. 

On 12/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, Ben Hong said:

Tabarrrnouche! Tourtiere!! Most years Linda and I would repair to Toronto where most of my extended and adoptive families live and almost all of us  know the difference between a knife and a spatula, one sister is a Grand Diplome Cordon Bleu, earned in Paris). My daughter's tourtiere was usually the most sought after item on the festive tables. 2020...begone I say!!!!

Ben

Care to share any tips

I will be making a tourtiere this week

pretty please

rp

Dave,

My mom's parents were both Norwegians and our Christmas eve dinner was similar to yours...lutefisk, lefse, meatballs, potato sausage and various "hot dishes!" I will say that I liked lutefisk, smothered in melted butter. A cousin's husband, an Italian, from Butte couldn't stand lutefisk and would bring a variety of different sausages to the Christmas Eve dinners....I have to say, I miss those dinners and the traditions. I thought about having some lutefisk this year for dinner, found some at a local store and at $31.00/lb, I decided I'd have something else!

13 hours ago, robp said:

Ben

Care to share any tips

I will be making a tourtiere this week

pretty please

rp

Rob, tourtiere is quite easy to do, but there are a lot of finagling fussiness to be wary of. Go to youtube and Pintarest and look for a recipe posted by someone with a French sounding name. Like I said, my wife and daughter are  usually in charge of the pasties and tourtieres at our "normal" Christmas bashes, but I usually add in my 2 cents worth during the final tasting before baking.

Tip 1.

A lot of recipes are more fat free these days, because I am not a fan of this trend if I use lean meats like venison, lean beef or pork, gamebirds, rabbits, etc.  I will follow French Canadian tradition by rendering about 3 oz. of cubed salted pork fatback and cooking the rest of the ingredients in the fat and crispy bits.

Tip 2.

Whatever combo of meat you opt for, don't grind it too fine, you want some texture. To add that smooth mouthfeel to the meat, add a scant cup of bread crumbs to the meat mixture.

Tip 3.

Seasonings include salt and pepper of course, but most traditional tourtieres are seasoned with say, a half tsp each of cinnamon OR nutmeg and a quarter tsp of clove powder (keep it at a quarter tsp because cloves usually overwhelm a dish!). Some French Acadians of the Maritimes use summer savoury in place of all the spices. But to each his own.  One thing we all agree on is the ample use of fresh garlic.

These tips are for a 10 inch pie...and don't forget to cut a couple of vents on the top crust.

Bon appetit!

Upland_Hunter
On 12/24/2020 at 9:26 PM, SODAKer said:

Been a helluva year, Covid, personal etc., so figured I'd pull together a nice Christmas dinner figuring who knows what tomorrow brings.

Appetizers:

Mini crab cakes

Ma's home made Spring rolls

Smoked salmon and an assortment of crackers

Dinner:

Prime Rib roast low and slow over apple wood on the BGE

New York strip steaks seared and finished off on  BGE

Baked potatoes

Green bean casserole

Corn pudding

Salad

Yeast rolls

Desert:

Carrot cake (wife makes the best, seriously, lol!)

Key Lime Pie (I make the best, I really do, lol!)

Libations:

Simi Chardonnay

Kunde Cab till it runs out, lol, then pop the cork on what's left on the shelf

Merry Christmas to you all!

i should have come to your house on Christmas Day!!! I am getting hungry!! What is on the menu for New Years Day?