Air Fryer

The two girls bought us a Ninja Air Fryer for Christmas. They both have the same model and love it. They use it for almost every meal these days for one thing or another. Apparently it cuts time and really puts the crisp on things instead of broiling in oven, or deep frying...like brussel sprouts, broccoli, and other vegetables, chicken thighs etc. Liz made “fried” Calamari recently with it as well. They also mentioned how it brings soggy take out food back to life. Good things for these days.

So, who has one, how do you like it and what do you cook with it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• SODAKer

• UplandHntr

• GuyO

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Air Fried...Dry rubbed and bacon wrapped section of Venison Backstrap Loin. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I love my Instant Pot! Which also functions as a slow cocker got rid of 3 crock pots when I got it. I subscribe to the Alton Brown Method of not having specialized tools or gadgets.   An Air

The two girls bought us a Ninja Air Fryer for Christmas. They both have the same model and love it. They use it for almost every meal these days for one thing or another. Apparently it cuts time and r

Posted Images

I got one for Christmas yesterday and cooked up the mini crab cakes. Perfectly cooked and no mess like you have with oven top frying. Essentially its a mini convection oven and does a really nice job on small batch cooking e.g. for two people meal. That's my first impression. 

I bought one recently. It does do a nice job. Made coconut shrimp yesterday. 
standard stuff like fries etc cook faster and a little better.

mine is a 10qt, I wish I wouldve bought a larger one. I tried a rotisserie chicken on the spit and it didnt fit inside the oven. 
great appliance for 2 maybe 3 people not for a larger family. 
this is the one I have

Instapot Air Fryer

I use mine mostly for slow cooking or pressure cooking only these day.  I tried air frying a bunch of times and just think I get better tasting food using the stove or oven. 

We got one for Christmas last year.   We use it quite a bit.. mostly fries, tater tots and the like or warming up.   My parents use theirs daily though

22 minutes ago, GuyO said:

Brad, which model Ninja? They have a couple cookers that cook multiple ways? 

image.jpg

Not huge which is good since we don’t have a lot of countertop. 

Bird_Man_mike

I also got an air fryer for Christmas, but the Emeril one rather than the ninja.  It was an early gift for my wife and I from her mother who insisted we open it as soon as it arrived.  Been using it for maybe 3 weeks now and so far so good!

Have done fried chicken and schnitzel thus far, along with frozen foods like fries/tots.  Both the fried chicken and schnitzel turned out great, tho not quite as good as frying in oil (much healthier, tho!).  Next batch of either we do, I am going to maybe try spritzing with a little oil from a spray bottle prior to air fryer.  Have been recommended that it gets a closer fry to the oil fry while still keeping the greasiness down.  

Don't own one myself but friends of mine do. We get together every couple of weeks and do wings. My buddy's wife started using an air fryer a few months ago to make the wings, I'm impressed. Healthier than immersing in oil, crispy and just as tasty. 

We've had one for a while, and find it handy for the small batch cooking we do most of the time.  We did do a whole small chicken, which worked well and was faster than an oven would have been, but mostly we "fry" stuff in it.

Birdcountry70

I bought one for my wife a couple of years back at her request. It has become one of those gadgets that rarely sees the light of day and sucks up cabinet space like the bread machine, mixer,meat slicer.... She uses the heck out of the instapot though. Maybe we should drag it out and give it another chance. 

42 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

I bought one for my wife a couple of years back at her request. It has become one of those gadgets that rarely sees the light of day and sucks up cabinet space like the bread machine, mixer,meat slicer.... She uses the heck out of the instapot though. Maybe we should drag it out and give it another chance. 

I love my Instant Pot! Which also functions as a slow cocker got rid of 3 crock pots when I got it. I subscribe to the Alton Brown Method of not having specialized tools or gadgets.

An Air Fryer is nothing more than a convection oven in vertical form. My JennAir wall oven from the 70's died last year and it was one of the first convection ovens. When I went to replace it all I wanted was for the new one to be black and have convection. Salesman had to look all over to find one kept trying to sell me ovens with WiFi. Was surprised at how far ahead of its time my convection oven from the 70's was. I don't need WiFi in an oven LOL. When he called me to tell me that he found one with convection he said but it doesn't have WiFi. I told him, again, didn't want no damn WiFi in my oven. The convection feature cost me an extra $1K but I use it often and was worth it to me.

Mainly to cook bacon on baking sheets with wire screens. Then I pour the bacon grease into a container I use for cooking in the cast iron skillets on the stovetop. Will be doing grouse in shore lunch cooked in bacon grease later today.

The whole oil cooking thing is a crock, not to be confused with crock pot, to begin with.

Back in the 70's McDonald's used to cook French fries with beef fat. Remember how good they were back then? 

A self made millionaire by the name of Phil Sokolof made it his personal campaign to make America "Heart Healthy" and got them to switch to vegetable oil along with most of the rest of the Country. Without any science to back it, he was a construction supplier. Turns out it is worse for you than the animal fats. 

But 40 years later many especially in our age group still believe it is bad for you. For every study out there about the detrimental effects of oils there is another that shows something different. Turns out is the food being cooked that is bad for you which often is potatoes which is about as high in carbs as you can get.

My other convection oven that I do wings on all the time is a 22" Weber Kettle with a Vortex.

Dry well then toss in a light coating of canola oil with salt and pepper. On for ~50 minutes with a chunk of Apple wood.

41273588565_54a15960d1_b.jpg

Toss in Buffalo sauce and back on for 5-10 minutes. Franks, butter lots of butter and cayenne pepper.

42003516142_cbebe3879a_b.jpg

Toss again in sauce.

41273595855_4f2a482880_b.jpg

Burp..

41273597015_cf6e7289be_b.jpg

Celery and Blue Cheese none of that carrots and Ranch dressing allowed in my house.

Just ran some left over homemade Spring rolls through the air fryer. Went in soggy and came out pretty damn good with a new crisp. I recommend.