Air Fryer

7 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

I love my Instant Pot! Which also functions as a slow cocker got rid of 3 crock pots when I got it. I subscribe to the Alton Brown Method of not having specialized tools or gadgets.

An Air Fryer is nothing more than a convection oven in vertical form. My JennAir wall oven from the 70's died last year and it was one of the first convection ovens. When I went to replace it all I wanted was for the new one to be black and have convection. Salesman had to look all over to find one kept trying to sell me ovens with WiFi. Was surprised at how far ahead of its time my convection oven from the 70's was. I don't need WiFi in an oven LOL. When he called me to tell me that he found one with convection he said but it doesn't have WiFi. I told him, again, didn't want no damn WiFi in my oven. The convection feature cost me an extra $1K but I use it often and was worth it to me.

Mainly to cook bacon on baking sheets with wire screens. Then I pour the bacon grease into a container I use for cooking in the cast iron skillets on the stovetop. Will be doing grouse in shore lunch cooked in bacon grease later today.

The whole oil cooking thing is a crock, not to be confused with crock pot, to begin with.

Back in the 70's McDonald's used to cook French fries with beef fat. Remember how good they were back then? 

A self made millionaire by the name of Phil Sokolof made it his personal campaign to make America "Heart Healthy" and got them to switch to vegetable oil along with most of the rest of the Country. Without any science to back it, he was a construction supplier. Turns out it is worse for you than the animal fats. 

But 40 years later many especially in our age group still believe it is bad for you. For every study out there about the detrimental effects of oils there is another that shows something different. Turns out is the food being cooked that is bad for you which often is potatoes which is about as high in carbs as you can get.

My other convection oven that I do wings on all the time is a 22" Weber Kettle with a Vortex.

Dry well then toss in a light coating of canola oil with salt and pepper. On for ~50 minutes with a chunk of Apple wood.

41273588565_54a15960d1_b.jpg

Toss in Buffalo sauce and back on for 5-10 minutes. Franks, butter lots of butter and cayenne pepper.

42003516142_cbebe3879a_b.jpg

Toss again in sauce.

41273595855_4f2a482880_b.jpg

Burp..

41273597015_cf6e7289be_b.jpg

Celery and Blue Cheese none of that carrots and Ranch dressing allowed in my house.

Those wings look great!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• SODAKer

• UplandHntr

• GuyO

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Air Fried...Dry rubbed and bacon wrapped section of Venison Backstrap Loin. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I love my Instant Pot! Which also functions as a slow cocker got rid of 3 crock pots when I got it. I subscribe to the Alton Brown Method of not having specialized tools or gadgets.   An Air

The two girls bought us a Ninja Air Fryer for Christmas. They both have the same model and love it. They use it for almost every meal these days for one thing or another. Apparently it cuts time and r

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Those wings look great!

Cold Iron, you are a man after me own heart! 3 years ago, my son and daughter-in -law  gave us a Breville convection toaster oven. The cynical practical traditionalist in me pooh poohed the idea of another piece of junk on my counter top. I was wrong. It is very useful within limits and very recently I tried to use it as an air fryer. YUP! No need to buy an air fryer.

As for your other observations and opinions, we are brothers!

Picked up some Brussel sprouts and some chicken thighs for the Air Fryer. Both are supposed to be really good air fried. We were gonna try that in addition to fries this evening, but JoAnn got called out on the road to a respiratory patient and might not be back early enough. If so, will try it tomorrow.

I made coconut shrimp last night with a pirated Red Lobster dip’n sauce . Pretty darn good. 
2 nights ago I made a bunch of bone in wings. Took about 35 mins (thawed)with 2 racks full and 30 mins with one rack.  Crispy like they were deep fried. Rolled them in Montreal Chicken seasoning and a couple tablespoons of baking powder first. Finished with 1/2 buffalo and 1/2 teriyaki sauce. Dunked generously in blue cheese dressing.

Im really feeling like a fatty today. 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Picked up some Brussel sprouts and some chicken thighs for the Air Fryer. Both are supposed to be really good air fried. We were gonna try that in addition to fries this evening, but JoAnn got called out on the road to a respiratory patient and might not be back early enough. If so, will try it tomorrow.

Not sure what Brussel sprout recipe you have for the air fryer but cut in half, blanched, dried, then deep fried sprouts are off the hook. Dip in a sriracha aioli.......... 

Some times the evil way is the best way but????

Give a report.  

On 12/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Dry well then toss in a light coating of canola oil with salt and pepper. On for ~50 minutes with a chunk of Apple wood.

OK Cooter, how come you didn't spritz or brush them tasty looking beauties with some of that healthy pork fat rather than

some nasty plant based canola oil?  Gotta watch bacon grease, or fat. If the bacon had traditional curing the drippings may have high nitrate content.

Gotta say the pics of those wings have my mouth watering. I could really murder a good dozen or so of them babies!

On 12/26/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ben Hong said:

Cold Iron, you are a man after me own heart! 3 years ago, my son and daughter-in -law  gave us a Breville convection toaster oven. The cynical practical traditionalist in me pooh poohed the idea of another piece of junk on my counter top. I was wrong. It is very useful within limits and very recently I tried to use it as an air fryer. YUP! No need to buy an air fryer.

As for your other observations and opinions, we are brothers!

Cold Iron you have no idea how flattered you should be when Ben compliments your culinary acumen. Best I ever got was a "Shut up Philistine!"  

29 minutes ago, Spin said:

OK Cooter, how come you didn't spritz or brush them tasty looking beauties with some of that healthy pork fat rather than

some nasty plant based canola oil?  Gotta watch bacon grease, or fat. If the bacon had traditional curing the drippings may have high nitrate content.

Gotta say the pics of those wings have my mouth watering. I could really murder a good dozen or so of them babies!

Somehow you've confused my post with Cold Iron's.  He's the fellow who cooked the wings, I just quoted his post and said how good they looked.

2 hours ago, Spin said:

Cold Iron you have no idea how flattered you should be when Ben compliments your culinary acumen. Best I ever got was a "Shut up Philistine!"  

Hehehehee. Lol!

331D37B0-3C6C-4506-871D-E5594718E019.jpeg

First try Air Fryer success. Olive oil/dry rubbed chicken thighs, with Brussels sprouts tossed in olive oil, minced garlic, S&P and topped with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar. Impressed. 😋 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

331D37B0-3C6C-4506-871D-E5594718E019.jpeg

First try Air Fryer success. Olive oil/dry rubbed chicken thighs, with Brussels sprouts tossed in olive oil, minced garlic, S&P and topped with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar. Impressed. 😋 

Damn that looks good!

We did French fries last night. Sliced potatoes with skin on into fry size. Tossed in a little oil, S&P and some Chili Lime seasoning from Trader Joe’s. 390° for 20 minutes, shaking basket a few times during air fry. Wow. Disappeared before I could snap the obligatory photo.

Im gonna go out on a limb and try a small venison meatloaf in the air fryer. Will report back.

Brad Eden

80F9B368-79FF-4C1B-957B-01FEF87A49E7.jpeg

E4C38ABD-8D82-4DB6-A7CB-57D3D53CFC87.jpeg

Decided to try something different in the Air Fryer last evening. Venison/Pork dry rubbed meatloaf stuffed with cheese.

Pound of venison burger (I grind a little pork into my venison burger)

About a 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs

Good dash of S&P

Good dash of Garlic powder 

Small dash of hot pepper flakes

Dash of milk 

Mixed and formed into a loaf.

Crevice formed along length and filled with cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese, then sealed back up. 

Lightly rolled in olive oil.

Lightly sprinkled with venison dry rub seasoning and a little Trader Joe’s coffe/garlic dry rub.

Air fried at 350° for 25 minutes.

The result was clearly better than anything baked or roasted. Nice crusty outside, moist inside. Simply delicious with mashed potato’s topped with butter and a dollop of sour cream, and green beans.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:11 AM, Brad Eden said:

We did French fries last night. Sliced potatoes with skin on into fry size. Tossed in a little oil, S&P and some Chili Lime seasoning from Trader Joe’s. 390° for 20 minutes, shaking basket a few times during air fry. Wow. Disappeared before I could snap the obligatory photo.

Im gonna go out on a limb and try a small venison meatloaf in the air fryer. Will report back.

The problem with this dang forum is too many guys are right about stuff! Went out and picked up a $15 dollar Nuwave from a woman who got the new model for Christmas.

Crispy spring rolls for lunch and crispy Aldi seasoned fries that tasted as good as any restaurant. The Brussels sprout idea looks like a winner!

Made my sprouts with olive oil and 'Bavarian essence'......quite good.