550 Pro Plus....some questions...

I'm considering finally retiring my 12 year old Tri-Tronics stuff and am looking at the the Pro 550 Plus.  Right now I run an Astro unit with the conventional training collar.  My biggest question with the 550 plus is does it have a audible signal when the dog is on point?  I like that about my Astro...I don't want to have to constantly look at the unit.  

Any other comments about the unit are appreciated.

Thanks...Merry Christmas.  

There is an audible buzz when the dog goes on point. If you pair a garmin fenix or instinct watch you'll feel the vibration too. I bought a leather holster and hang it off my belt or vest.   There's a bunch of threads on here about the 550+ that you'll find informative too.

Gun Dog Supply has a good overview 550+ 

no.  i bought a dogtra stb beeper to add and that seems to work out well. the vibrate function is worthless on the handheld if you aren't holding it in your hands. 

1 hour ago, Jacksdad said:

no.  i bought a dogtra stb beeper to add and that seems to work out well. the vibrate function is worthless on the handheld if you aren't holding it in your hands. 

I hang mine off a lanyard and I can hear it when it vibrates when Soph is on point.  

Just received mine the other day.  I’ve been using an alpha for last two year.  Great for hunting.  Terrible for training.  I have the saddle guys leather holster with swivel hook.  I’m running both now while I get comfortable with the 550+. No beep like alpha but there is a loud buzz. Would be hard not to hear it.  Especially with electronic ear protection that amplifies conversation and other ambient noises.  

Man I must be losing my hearing then. Wear mine in a leather holster hung from belt and I have yet to hear it.  

14 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

Man I must be losing my hearing then. Wear mine in a leather holster hung from belt and I have yet to hear it.  

Huh...what? did you say something? 

2 hours ago, ScenicRoute said:

Just received mine the other day.  I’ve been using an alpha for last two year.  Great for hunting.  Terrible for training.  I have the saddle guys leather holster with swivel hook.  I’m running both now while I get comfortable with the 550+. No beep like alpha but there is a loud buzz. Would be hard not to hear it.  Especially with electronic ear protection that amplifies conversation and other ambient noises.  

Why do you find it terrible for training? 

I just bought one and am hoping I find it a lot easier to use than my alpha. I get lost on that thing sometimes.

I use a A 70 for training and day to day control on my six dogs FWIW

1 hour ago, bobman said:

Why do you find it terrible for training? 

I just bought one and am hoping I find it a lot easier to use than my alpha. I get lost on that thing sometimes.

I use a A 70 for training and day to day control on my six dogs FWIW

The alpha is great for hunting but terrible for training.  Hence the reason for the purchase of the 550+. 

8 hours ago, Jacksdad said:

Mine is hooked via the carabiner on the leather holder, to the upper chest strap of my Orvis Vest.  Accordingly, its really close to my head and I have no problem hearing it.  I put it there so I won't beat the hell out of it and if I want to look at it I can just use my left hand to tilt it up to see the face.   

8 hours ago, ScenicRoute said:

The alpha is great for hunting but terrible for training.  Hence the reason for the purchase of the 550+. 

Ok I misunderstood what you meant I agree about the alpha 

1 hour ago, tut said:

Mine is hooked via the carabiner on the leather holder, to the upper chest strap of my Orvis Vest.  Accordingly, its really close to my head and I have no problem hearing it.  I put it there so I won't beat the hell out of it and if I want to look at it I can just use my left hand to tilt it up to see the face.   

Same here with my Alpha. Works pretty slick!

Mike Connally

I just bought a 550. I used it the first time yesterday. I’ve been using an Astro for many years. I could hear the Astro but I can’t hear or feel the vibration from the 550. 
I always use a beeper so this isn’t much of an issue for me. 

On the beeper my plan is to move it to the garmin collar so one less collar on the dog.  For the money the beeper is an excellent addition.