What a mess. Thoughts on this nail please.

Hunted yesterday with Mike C.  After about 90 minutes Soph had a bit of a sugar issue and we shut her down for the day.   Thought I saw her limp on this foot, but only a hint of a limp.   Got her home yesterday and all seemed normal.  Actually checked her pads and such last night because of seeing that hint of a limp and saw nada.   

This morning she came out of the kennel with just a bit of a limp again and I waited for sunshine and really gave her a good going over on that particular pad in good light and saw the major crack in the toe nail.  End of the nail was just flopping (see first pic).  Quick had been pretty well protected by the flopping toe nail so it wasn't beaten up.   I determined there just wasn't enough there to attempt a super glue repair and decided to cut off as much of the nail as possible without hitting the Quick.   Second picture is where I am.   No blood and she is basically ignoring it.  Not licking it etc.  Do I bandage it up with antibiotic cream for a couple of days and boot her as well or just leave it exposed?   

Certainly she is down for a week or more as I don't see anyway she can hunt and even if she hunts down the road in a week I'm thinking boots will be required to keep it protected.   Only saving grace is its on a toe on the side and not the front two.  Thoughts? 

20201227_071924 (1).jpg

20201227_092426.jpg

mister grouse

Clip it, apply simple antibiotic couple times a day.  If she licks at it, I know some people have put some light red pepper outside the antibiotic.  Usually my dogs have just ignored it. I have used the spray QuickSkin (human product) over the open wound if it is available.

Make sure it is clean looking from dirt etc,  Let her sit it out a few days.   Dogs have a heck of high pain threshold IMO.  I am  not  a veterinarian

Ten days ago Carly snapped a nail sheath half way back where the quick was exposed well beyond the remaining sheath. The vet sedated her, clipped the nail past the break and did her other nails too. $98 which I thought was cheap. She is still tender on that foot maybe because she has little nail remaining now but it is healing nicely. Max had the same procedure last year.

The last thing I wanted was a nail infection.

Trimmed it better and added antibiotic and some EMT gel.  She is ignoring it totally, which is a good thing.  It is quite nasty looking. 

PS.  My vet here in Va would no doubt charge $250 just to knock her out and cut it back.  Hell, they would want to run a blood panel before they even sedated her.   Such is life in the big city. 

shoot-straight

Sorry about your luck. As I have posted before, I am Anal about my dogs feet and are super cautious. A nasty nail issue developed into a nasty nail bed infection which eventually cost my lab it's toe and all told about a year of misery for me and him. 

I have learned that chlorhexidine soaks really are a cheap and very effective method with helping with nail or foot issues. As others have said, trim, soak 2x a day in a warm chlorhexidine solution and some antibiotic ointment. It's good she isn't fooling with it, and should speed up healing. I would forgo any hunting till it heals up. Others may disagree, and that's fine but it's just me. As I said I'm gunshy on these things. For me it's risk reward. 

I know its closing the barn door after the horse ran out but.....  As SOP we generally kept our dogs nails clipped pretty close through out the season.  The dogs were on concrete (no comments please as the kennels were washed out daily and sanitized) and that seemed to keep them a bit shorter anyway.

I think this i an area we all need to pay more attention to as many folks now seem to keep their dogs inside as family dogs which I have no problem with if you can get away with it.

JMHO

8 hours ago, Remo said:

The vet sedated her...

8 hours ago, tut said:

My vet here in Va would no doubt charge $250 just to knock her out ...  

" Sedation...", "... knocking the dog out...". ? Years ago hunting in the U.P. my bitch GSP Maggie ripped a nail off and the quick was still attached but not by much. Forty-Five miles to a woman "country" vet. in Newberry and well into the evening before I got there . She looked things over, cleaned things up, pulled out a hemostat and told me to wrap the inside of my elbow around Maggie's jaws and hang on to her .  A clamp, a solid jerk, a muffled yelp, some more cleaning up and Maggie was hunting again about two weeks later and finished out the season . Can't imagine it ran more than $25.00  - $35.00 . 

Ruger 1

shoot-straight
42 minutes ago, Huntschool said:

I know its closing the barn door after the horse ran out but.....  As SOP we generally kept our dogs nails clipped pretty close through out the season.  The dogs were on concrete (no comments please as the kennels were washed out daily and sanitized) and that seemed to keep them a bit shorter anyway.

I think this i an area we all need to pay more attention to as many folks now seem to keep their dogs inside as family dogs which I have no problem with if you can get away with it.

JMHO

yes to nails being long being a problem. although my lab was fine with me fooling with his feet and trimming his nails, my new 12mos pudlepointer will have none of it. As a result, they got much longer than I wanted. On a hunt he injured a nail, it got bent back a bit and got a nailbed infection as a result. Physics tells me longer the nail the more leverage it has to put pressure on the nail bed. The injury was totally my fault. Was still discharging after first 10 days so it Took 2 weeks of antibiotics and 2x daily soaks to deal with it. He sat on the sidelines while it healed. Not going through that mess again.

1 hour ago, Huntschool said:

JMHO

Bingo.  This had a lot to do with it.  Normally I walk her around the neighborhood a bunch and the asphalt helps keep them short.  Then Plantar Fascitis kicked in about 4 weeks ago and I have not been able to walk her (or me for that matter).  I didn't even think about her nails being this long until I looked at them this morning.  I have already trimmed all of them.  In my opinion that and the fact the ground was frozen like a rock yesterday caused the extra torgue that essentially caused the nail sheath to rupture. 

Decided to run Soph to the vet at noon today.  Worried more about infection then anything else, but figure they can at least inspect my work and give it a thumbs up or down.  Figured she needs some antibiotics.  Hopefully they can just provide a script that I can fill using GoodRX at a local pharmacy.  Meds at a Vets office are amazingly high IMO.

Mupirocin ointment a couple times a day.  Keep a sock on it to keep her from licking it and boot it when outdoors.  Should heal sufficiently in 1-2 weeks.  

38 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Mupirocin ointment a couple times a day.  Keep a sock on it to keep her from licking it and boot it when outdoors.  Should heal sufficiently in 1-2 weeks.  

I actually have that ointment in my little vet kit.  Have a lotta stuff in that little vet kit.

Vet said I did well.  They looked at what I had done and did nothing else.   Provided me some Vetericyn VF Plus in spray form and also gave me a script for Mupirocin.  Cheapest vet bill I have ever had.  $64 out the door.   Said to not run her for 10 to 14 days assuming no infection flairs up and also on whether the ground is frozen like a rock or thawed out.   She hasn't gained any weight which is good.  40 lbs of lean machine.