Any insight on how to stop digging in yard?

Lots of rain leaving us with wet ground and the digging is easy.  Wife is getting pretty irritated over this.  Lots of dirt/mud coming in the house!  

Shock collar and just watch/wait?

Mike da Carpenter

If they like to dig in the same hole, wait till they aren’t around and fill with cayenne pepper and fill back in.  If that doesn’t work, fill with their poop and fill back in.  I do not like the use of shock factor of a collar, but do like the vibrate mode of my Alpha.  I prefer to find a way to outthink them.  Sometimes it takes a LOT of thinking.  I do see the need for shock collars though.  Lots of ways to get to the same place.

The above worked on all my dogs but one.  That one was a lab, and I was able to cure him with water balloons thrown off the flat sunroom porch as I waited for him to come by.  Just make sure your shadow isn’t able to be seen if you try this approach as it will give you away.

If they dig all over the place, the only suggestion I have is to move up here with us as you will get about 4 months of ground they cannot dig in.  HA!!  

Have you tried to exercise the dog more to burn up the energy they have that is turned into anxiety that makes them dig?

Fill hole with poop and put a inch or so of soil on it. They typically won't dig in that spot again. Eventually your entire yard will be generously fertilized.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

If that doesn’t work, fill with their poop and fill back in.  

There are certain times in the year where upon every dog I've had finds something in the clay soil of my backyard, perhaps a mineral that they like to dig up and eat. Mike's method does the trick.  E collar training will lead to a lot of waiting for a chance they feel like digging.  My dogs are very e collar savvy. If they aren't going hunting or hiking, they know something's up.

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, robp said:

Do I poop in the hole or does the dog?

Depends on how close your neighbors live and if they can see your tactics.

9 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

Thanks all.  Will try the poop thing first.  

My shorthair would be thrilled. He'd dig it up and have himself a meal.

6 minutes ago, snood said:

My shorthair would be thrilled. He'd dig it up and have himself a meal.

Oh yeah. That was a terrible habit of my GSP for years.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

You can try the shock collar .  I used it on my wife every time she got irritated.  The problem I had  was there where long term side affects that showed up in the bedroom.

Hal Standish

Turn that outdoor time into training sessions. Keep the dog busy with what you want him doing instead of allowing him to self entertain. And yes the e collar can be apart of this activity also. Place board training, whoa training retrieving this list can go on and on! Dogs will seek out their own level of pleasure unless we, intervene with what is important to us. You might just be amazed at what can happen in just a short period of time and the dogs fines pleasure in "pleasing You" instead of him self.

Hal