How can i make sure my posted pictures do not give my hunting spots away.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

It came to my attention this fall that sharing some hunting pics from my phone also give  location away.  I love sharing pics . how can i be sure i knot giving my locations if i post them on internet . I under stand there is a hidden file with this info..

There are many EXIF delete apps. They will all remove the EXIF data from your pics. Once data is removed you can post away without unintentionally hot spotting. 

Put up a small sign saying, easily readable and well in frame, "Moscow - 6 miles"

(of course I would know but I know how to keep a secret. Now give me a dollar!)

If using a cell phone, there should be a selection under settings to disable location tags.

Send me the GPS coordinates of the locations and the photos and I’ll look for correlations or data trails that might give them away.

It would take a serious bird hunting Hot Spotter to go to the trouble of gleaning GPS/Location metadata from posted photos. If worried about it here is an article that talks about metadata, and how to set your phone/camera so it doesn’t add that data to photos to begin with. 

Removing metadata from photos etc.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY
On 12/29/2020 at 5:45 PM, browndrake said:

If you use the resizer I built, in addition to making it a much smaller file to upload to server,  it will strip the metadata.

https://browndrake.net/UJ/resize/

Thanks this is helpful

19 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

It would take a serious bird hunting Hot Spotter to go to the trouble of gleaning GPS/Location metadata from posted photos. If worried about it here is an article that talks about metadata, and how to set your phone/camera so it doesn’t add that data to photos to begin with. 

Removing metadata from photos etc.

thanks  i figured out how to stop it from the source

Hotspotting is all but foreign to me as most of us in the south hunt on private land, and those that do hunt public spots aren't really secret about it.  For some, how much of a problem is this? If you're on public land, in what ways is it helpful to be stealthy? Competitive to access good spots? Are there places really undiscovered? 

The closest around here I can think of is the competition to get to some spots in the morning on big lakes for duck hunting.

Just curious. 😀

Brad Eden

I’m not sure if removing metadata is a big deal, and I don’t see (internet) Hotspotting in general as a huge issue in the northeast, but it’s a big, no, HUGE concern for western hunters and southern hunters particularly in the SW. Take it from me, who has moderated this Upland hunting Board for going on 20 years. It’s a headache and not to be taken lightly. Thus the No Hotspotting Rule:

stephen brown

I change the camera permissions to deny location. 

munsterlander

On an Iphone 11 etc, go to Settings, then to Privacy, then to Location Services, then to Camera, and set it to Never.  

Also same steps but instead of Camera, go to Photos, and set it to Never.  

At least that is what I did.  And while there, look at all the other apps and decide if you want "share your location" while in those apps.