Pro 550 Plus & Instinct Watch - Should I get One?

Hey all, I'm looking for some advise (and perhaps a nudge!).  Anyway, I run my dogs with both a Dogtra 2700 T&B and a Dogtra Pathfinder.  After this year I was thinking how much easier it would be to just have one device on the dog.  I can do away with the beeper feature if the watch gives you a notification that the dog is on point.

So, what are your feelings/advise on this?

Thanks so much!

Greg

Yes though i prefer the viveoactive to the instinct. The gps watch combo makes life so much easier. I have alpha  but with i had the pro plus

munsterlander
29 minutes ago, Speaks said:

Yes though i prefer the viveoactive to the instinct. The gps watch combo makes life so much easier. I have alpha  but with i had the pro plus

I'm following, as I am interested too.   Will the viveoactive watch point to the dog, etc like the Instinct?

Yes, I use the 550 plus and the instinct. You get a vibration when the dog goes on point and a directional arrow on the watch face. No experience with the viveoactive. 

It is a nice combination. Although I still run a beeper. Nice when threading through thick stuff without looking at some gadget.

When I see the dog I usually turn off the beeper.

2 hours ago, munsterlander said:

I'm following, as I am interested too.   Will the viveoactive watch point to the dog, etc like the Instinct?

Yes it will. Its not a native dog tracker like fenix and instinct but there are several free apps on the garmin store that do the same thing. The one I use just shows compass, distance, and an on point alert, I have a map one too but I honestly dont even use the map on the alpha. I like it over the instinct because its low profile like a normal watch and I wear it daily not just for hunting. 

Fenix has some other cool features if you wanted them, was not worth the cost to me, my viveo was about $100 and does as much as I have needed. I dont recall direct feature comparisons to the instinct, the size was just a deal breaker for me as I wanted to wear mine all the time for other features like heart rate tracker. 

Don’t have the 550plus yet. I will probably by next year. I have a 320 Astro and got an instinct for Christmas. Got to use it these last few days.  I like it. I do think the instinct has more bells and whistles than I really need. 

13 hours ago, bobman said:

Will it work if you have multiple dogs on the ground at the same time?

If that question was about the watch app the picture seems to indicate it will for at least a few of them

Link

I have only run it with one dog myself so I cannot confirm from experience though. 

18 hours ago, bobman said:

Will it work if you have multiple dogs on the ground at the same time?

The pro 550+ will only show the dog with the collar color selected on its display. The Instinct will show a max of 3 dogs at one time regardless what switch position the pro 550+ is in.

Mike Connally
On 12/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, munsterlander said:

Which of the Vivoactive watches will connect to the 550 pro plus?

Will the vivoactive 3 connect? 

Coveyrise64
4 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Which of the Vivoactive watches will connect to the 550 pro plus?

Will the vivoactive 3 connect? 

The Pro550+ has a list the of compatible devices. Didn't see the  Vivoactive as an option. Looked at the watch itself and the list of compatible devices to see if it listed the Pro550+. No compatibility shown there either. 

Garmin PRO 550 Plus Train and Track | Remote Dog Training

Mike Connally
12 minutes ago, Coveyrise64 said:

The Pro550+ has a list the of compatible devices. Didn't see the  Vivoactive as an option. Looked at the watch itself and the list of compatible devices to see if it listed the Pro550+. No compatibility shown there either. 

Garmin PRO 550 Plus Train and Track | Remote Dog Training

Thx. That’s why I asked. I thought someone said they were using one with it. 

Coveyrise64
3 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Thx. That’s why I asked. I thought someone said they were using one with it. 

Never hurts to contact Garmin. I've found their website to be a little behind sometimes. Same with their tech support.

cr