New Year's Day

From SODAKer and Upland_Hunter's Christmas Dinner posts regarding NYD meal:

LOL! 

Planning on:

Diver scallops (U10ish) with a butternut squash sauce served over risotto

Pork ribs and kraut

Sliced New York strip 

Potatoes

Green beans sautéed with salt, pepper, and the secrete ingredient chicken bullion powder

Vanilla Panna Cotta or Crème Brule 

At my house, for tomorrow, I've got:

Black eyed peas

Ham

Cornbread

Dirty rice

Green beans

Apple crumble

Nothing really special planned for new years day meal that I am aware of (my wife may have other plans), for me it will be about new years eve leftovers. On new years eve we have Danish smoorebrod which is a small open faced sandwhich on rye bread, depending on size you eat anywhere from three to several, we go small and have several throughout the night. 

Main toppings that we got for this year include

lox

pickled herring

liver patte

smoked ham

various hard and soft cheeses

Garnishes include

pickled red onion

pickled red cabbage

picked cucumber

tomatto

crumbled hard boiled egg yolk

poached egg yolk as a sauce

some type of mustard, mayo, dill sauce 

some other flavored mayos

fresh dill, and basil

micro greens

Im likely missing something but you get the idea, some years we also make rouladen and slice that instead of the ham but didnt this year.

I always heard corned beef and cabbage as well as blackeyed peas were good luck foods for New Years. Didn't do much good in 2020 but being an optimist, I'll try again. I know people from the north wonder why we in the south eat blackeyed peas. It stems from the lack of food after the northern war of aggression in the 1860's 😆

I will make up a Platter of antipasto , imported prosciutto , sweet capocollo , hot capocollo , Genoa hard salami , provolone cheese , mozzarella cheese , roasted peppers , roasted vegetables , artichoke hearts , sun dried tomatoes , marinated mushrooms , pepperoncini and various olives , hot cherry peppers stuffed with prosciutto and provolone and herb and garlic crackers . I will be feasting alone . 

My once a year sit down and clog my heart delight (my wife knows nothing of the other times) .  

Happy New Year . 

1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

I will make up a Platter of antipasto , imported prosciutto , sweet capocollo , hot capocollo , Genoa hard salami , provolone cheese , mozzarella cheese , roasted peppers , roasted vegetables , artichoke hearts , sun dried tomatoes , marinated mushrooms , pepperoncini and various olives , hot cherry peppers stuffed with prosciutto and provolone and herb and garlic crackers . I will be feasting alone . 

My once a year sit down and clog my heart delight (my wife knows nothing of the other times) .  

Happy New Year . 

You must still have leftovers from the Catskilz.😜  I would like to  join you on that feast.  

Upland_Hunter

Up here in Western PA we start the New Year by eating sauerkraut, kielbasa and pork loin. I actually make a southern style pork loin made with a rub of cinnamon, paprika, black pepper, salt and chili powder then covered with bacon and baked at low temperature for 2 hours.

Rullepølse and sylta some pickled herring followed by a hearty bowl of Swedish pea soup and crusty bread and a nice cheese for dessert!

Huntschool

We are alone this year so its going to be small....  That being said all the good luck stuff is on the table.  Pickled Herring, blackeyed peas,  Sauerkraut and sausage and split pea soup.  There will be small amounts of a number of condiments as in pickles and cheeses.

Happy New Year to all....  

FlyChamps

Ham, collards and black eyed peas.  Is there any other meal on New Year's day?

New year's day is also my birthday so I'm currently celebrating with a little Lagavulin and will probably celebrate a little more tomorrow.  Woodcock hunting on Saturday.

h20fwler

Kraut and bratts here, wifes family is German...some new years luck thing with pork and cabbage have done it since we were married. 

Damn, it all sounds mouth watering good. 

Decided to hold off on the pork. I got the Crème Brule done this morning, NY strips are setting to room temperature now, went with broccoli instead of green beans and will cook off same way, throwing potatoes slathered in oil and Kosher salt in the oven to bake, scallops up first in a bit, in the meantime finished off the bottle of red as an early appetizer, lol, so now forced to uncork a white in anticipation of scallops, lol. 

Happy New Year and Cheers!

We did shrimp and grits for new years eve

super easy with great results -basically a scampi over grits

Made some cock tails - the seelbach hotel cocktail, a old fashion and

Clicquot 'Yellow Label' Brut Champagne

Late start today!

Today were making pheasant cordon blue, asparagus and black eyed peas

More involved than the shrimp and grits

dogrunner

I thought Black eyed pea was a music band. 😬

UplandHntr

Gave the air fryer a work out again today.

Did a couple racks of wings again.. ready to go in

out after 35 mins at 400.

Served.. made more coconut shrimp with a teriyaki marinated pork tenderloin or back strap or inner loin or whatever Selby calls it!!

8A388712-C223-4BE3-90C8-004CFB3DB94E.jpeg

C11431CC-F8FE-42CA-94C1-CF852E8F6680.jpeg

D0EC5DB8-1EF2-40D5-A21D-215F2E0ACE54.jpeg