Post season find

MAArcher

A friend wounded a small buck two days ago, the second to the last day of the season.   I couldn't find it for him that afternoon, too many deer running around and I don't think the buck had given up the ghost yet.  Then I was busy yesterday, but today I got Wes back out for a second try.   It took a little searching with some detours to harass squirrels and bunnies, but Wes finally concentrated and found him layed up next to a stream below a small beaver dam.  A half mile, two days and an overnight rain storm between the shot and Wes finding him.

1220856489_LastDeerFind2020.thumb.jpg.10721448ff4e7d4d306e2a022bf7b03d.jpg

Good boy Wes.  Not a bad way to start 2021.

Mike da Carpenter

He’s finding his true purpose.  That is an impressive find.

Dave in Maine

He looks obviously pleased with himself and likes posing for the camera, too.

MAArcher
12 minutes ago, bobman said:

Has it been cold enough that he can eat it?

Yep.  And as it turns out I just got a call and I'm getting the deer.  I guess his freezers full and the person he was supposed to give the meet too no longer wants it.  Butcher said it looked fine and I can go get it in a day or two.     

Give ole Wes a couple crackers from myself  !  Tell him ole man Chris say's Good job !  

SelbyLowndes
18 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Butcher said it looked fine...

Famous last words.  I have a friend who picks up road kill deer.  I was embarrassed to be with him once when he pulled up on the sidewalk in front of a church and proceeded to load a run over doe which was so swole up it appeared to weigh 300 pounds.  I refused to get out of the truck.

He said "it looks fine"...SelbyLowndes  

SelbyLowndes

I didn't mean to disrespect the dog work.  I also am an admirer of versatile dogs...SelbyLowndes

MAArcher
40 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I didn't mean to disrespect the dog work.  I also am an admirer of versatile dogs...SelbyLowndes

I’ve eaten my share of road kill.  I’m not afraid of some good tenderized steak, even aged a bit. 😉

Wes and Ken were made for each other lol

Ive picked up and ate a lot of road killed deer myself but only if they are still warm 

No point in letting them go to waste

MAArcher

I usually have my deer frozen within 12 hours of shooting them, but I was real lazy with the last one and it hung in the garage for a week and a half.  Then a back strap sat in the meat drawer for another week.  I cooked it up an hour ago and my son just said it was the best he’s ever had.  He’s 18 and has eaten venison his whole life.  He never even had a beef steak until he was 15 years old.  That has me thinking maybe I should go back to dry aging instead of wet aging.

Brad Eden

Very cool on all accounts.

Mike da Carpenter
16 hours ago, bobman said:

Wes and Ken were made for each other lol

Ive picked up and ate a lot of road killed deer myself but only if they are still warm 

No point in letting them go to waste

Work with a guy who says that when dealing with road kill, as long as the legs haven’t achieved “Lift off”, then the meat is usually good.  I don’t eat the chili he brings in.