Shipping frozen meat??

Anyone done it?

I am in Texas now and one of my son in laws wants me to shoot a couple Axis deer for him to freeze. I have brought frozen meat with me as checked through baggage but I am going to Florida for a couple months before returning to RI and would like  ship some backstrap and tenderloins home.

Years ago I did it a couple times from western states. Fedx I believe. Next day frozen first. No problem.  

SelbyLowndes

Omaha Steaks does it.  I only know of one guy who got sick...SelbyLowndes

Yeti style coolers have changed the frozen shipping world.  Freeze something solid and it will STAY that way!

On 1/1/2021 at 9:53 PM, garyRI said:

Anyone done it?

I am in Texas now and one of my son in laws wants me to shoot a couple Axis deer for him to freeze. I have brought frozen meat with me as checked through baggage but I am going to Florida for a couple months before returning to RI and would like  ship some backstrap and tenderloins home.

Ship it in two seperate legs - first to Indy. I'll get it and refreeze it for you.  There may be some instant freezerburn, so some of the tenderloins may be unusable, but I'll ship the rest on to Rhode Island for you.

In PreYeti days, shipped some stuff from alaska with special cardboard boxes with 3" thick styrofoam in it. Made it home with no problems. 

watermen

I shipped some smoked pheasant, grouse, fish and jerky.  Next day fed ex was almost 10$ a pound for 2/3 your distance on Monday.  I repacked it in an Omaha steak type Styrofoam box and sent it Tues.  It was picked up this morning still very frozen.  Cost me 2$ a pound.  I sent it ground.  They are much faster after the Holidays and the trucks are cold.  might be worth a shot.

I've shipped frozen meat before.

I used just a regular old cooler I bought at Wally World not a Yeti or Yeti clone...Igloo /Coleman worked fine you know a Shiti Cooler? I suppose you could splurge on a Marine style one. 

FWIW, I froze everything solid first then used 1/2 a dozen of those blue ice pack thingies in the bottom, they are actually colder than regular ice and then just before I brought it to Fed Ex I put some dry ice pellets in all the cracks betwixt and between and between the meat packages and the edges, filling in all the holes and cracks, no headspace.

Duck taped around the the lid and then around the whole thing a few times and then used a couple of NRS tie down straps with the cam buckles cinched tight cross ways.  

Did not even have to ship it overnight and all was fine 4 or 5 days later. 

paul frey

I’ve done it twice. Once from Wyoming to NY and then from Nebraska to NY. Best to deep freeze it and put it on dry ice. Worked for me. Both time stayed frozen for 2-3 days 

Alaskan Swamp Collie

I've done it every year for the last 30 years from the pheasant states to back home(except this year %^&*). Just bought your basic cooler from the local hardware store filled it with frozen birds , couple blue ice and crumpled newspaper. Sealed it with packing tape and overnighted it with either Fed ex or UPS. Once home I take the empty coolers and fill them with salmon and ship to relatives in Wisconsin. The only problem is that they are supposed to return the cooler filled with cheese and that don't always happen. No need for dry ice, but some UPS stores won't take anything other than a cardboard box, they don't like the handles on coolers.

23 hours ago, watermen said:

Cost me 2$ a pound.  I

A reasonable price thanks. I need to visit a FEDEX office.

Dave in Maine

Just be aware - some shippers will want to know whether there is dry ice in the package.  I think the postal service is one of them.

i got two iterations of frozen smoked pork products for Christmas gifts this year.  Both were packed with the flexible blue ice kind of blankets, inside styrofoam coolers and that packed in a cardboard box.  It was all frozen solid when it arrived.  I suppose commercial shippers can get a better deal on one- and two-day than we mere mortals, but the packing worked fine.  

I save the coolers b/c they do a nice job with beer or ice cream or whatever needs to stay cold.  Also saved the chill blanket things, which should come in handy.