Dog Chewing in Between Pads

FayeSetter

Got a 3-year-old English setter that obsessively works both of her front paws in between the pads. They get kind of a maroon-red color to them when I catch her doing it for a while and don't snap her out of it in time. Typically she only does it during times when she doesn't get out much (i.e. when I can't run her for a number of days straight), so part of me was wondering if it's an energy release thing (i.e. instead of eating the couch she gnaws at the areas in between her pads). Also if you run your fingers in between the pads, the will come away kind of waxy, and have a smell vaguely like when a dog has a smelly ear that hasn't been cleaned...sorry for the weird details.

Dog training buddy of mine also said it might be a yeast buildup in between the pads. He recommended I trim the hair in between the pads with a fine beard trimmer and it will keep the yeast out.

Any thoughts? Obsessive behavior due to inactivity? Yeast infection? Something else?

Attached are some photos that were taken when she wasn't working the paw. I'll get some next time I catch her doing it -- the paw will look wet (obviously) and a darker maroon.

JSF

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

grouse28

Could be frustration, a tired dog is a happy dog.

Could be allergy, yeast.

The color of the pad hair if not natural is caused by saliva staining the hair.

Oh and it is a Setter, they are sometimes just mental cases, don’t ask how I know.

Brad Eden

My Springer has the exact same rusty brown color hair between the pads. Always has. I just now checked to confirm. No idea why, but it seems normal. I don’t think that color is a result of something else. But could be wrong. When he gets after those areas it’s typically because he has picked up some pine pitch from the trails. We are covered in Pines.

Cwk33041

My guess is allergies. Mostly becuase you mentioned she stops when you don't run her for a few days (could be an allergy to grass that makes her paws itchy, or something outside). I would call your vet and let them know. My golden does the same thing and her paws look, feel, and smell the sameas you mentioned. My vet prescribed apoquel for it and it definetly helps. I only give her it when she needs it though. 

Brad Eden

I know all is good with my dogs paws when they smell like Fritos. I’m serious. It’s uncanny.